Cherbourg- Anyone been recently?

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Thank you for clarifying. Our plans have us entering and exiting different types hence the question whether we can carry a live Cherbourg entry (but no exit) stamp into the CI and then get stamped out in St Malo.
Last year, on the way south, I left Cherbourg still stamped in, stopped at Guernsey and then re-entered Schengen in Roscoff. Where I was met by the PaF. Who were doing pontoon patrols (no sign of those, when I came south April / May this year). Three of them spent half an hour, putting me through the wringer, for failing to check out in Cherbourg and back in at Roscoff. “Monsieur, Guernsey is NOT Schengen.” Since then I’ve been checking in and out…..

wonkywinch

Visit site
Also I would recommend this app on your phone for border force UK. www.gov.uk/government/publications/sailing-a-leisure-craft-to-and-from-the-uk Again you can save drafts and send them when need be.
Thank you for the link. I believe this is an obligation rather than a recommendation. I couldn't find an app, only the online form. I do recommend pre registering prior to a trip then your details can be pulled up without having to load everything on a flaky marina wifi or tethered mobile connection.

st599

Visit site
Last year, on the way south, I left Cherbourg still stamped in, stopped at Guernsey and then re-entered Schengen in Roscoff. Where I was met by the PaF. Who were doing pontoon patrols (no sign of those, when I came south April / May this year). Three of them spent half an hour, putting me through the wringer, for failing to check out in Cherbourg and back in at Roscoff. “Monsieur, Guernsey is NOT Schengen.” Since then I’ve been checking in and out…..

I think it's changed again this year, so Cherbourg is no longer operating as a traditional port of entry, so you can't easily check in at Cherbourg and out at a port of entry like Roscof.

Thank you for the link. I believe this is an obligation rather than a recommendation. I couldn't find an app, only the online form. I do recommend pre registering prior to a trip then your details can be pulled up without having to load everything on a flaky marina wifi or tethered mobile connection.

They recently added new functionality too - it checks the crew details against the UK entry database. You can be given permission, be asked to check paperwork or be told to offload a crew member. For the paperwork checks, they have produced a 50 page guide to checking if it's genuine. The paperwork checks have to be done within 24 hours of arrival in the UK, so flaky WiFi or bad phone reception will probably be involved.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I think it's changed again this year, so Cherbourg is no longer operating as a traditional port of entry, so you can't easily check in at Cherbourg and out at a port of entry like Roscof.
I checked out of Schengen at Cherbourg, on 8.5.24. (Having entered at Dieppe). With a passport stamp. At that time Cherbourg was acting as a full port of entry / exit. With the PaF attending the marina, but also available at their office, over by the ferry port. When I reported to the PaF in Roscoff, they were happy to stamp my passport back in.
I’m working on the basis that anywhere with a ferry port, has the wherewithal to stamp passports, in and out of Schengen. And passports will ‘work’ in all those ports. So far so good!
EDIT If Cherbourg (which seems to go out of its way to be helpful to Brits) also offers the stamped PaF form option (as well as the full passport stamp), that would give the potential difficulties in other ports, which you mention?

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
I checked out of Schengen at Cherbourg, on 8.5.24. (Having entered at Dieppe). At that time Cherbourg was acting as a full port of entry / exit. With the PaF attending the marina, but also available at their office, over by the ferry port. When I reported to the PaF in Roscoff, they were happy to stamp me back in.
I’m working on the basis that anywhere with a ferry port, has the wherewithal to stamp passports, in and out of Schengen. So far so good!
Port Du Chantereyne in Cherbourg was added to the list of non-Ports of Entry Marinas using the new scheme on 30th May
Marinas – digimap.gg

Visit site
At the risk of starting an argument (which I don't want to do), that's not the case. Cherbourg is still a traditional port of entry, where the PAF visit daily and stamp your passports. Or at least that was the case 3 weeks ago.

Maybe it can also operate on the new system, so it works with both. On that question I don't know for sure.

KREW2

Visit site
Yes, I probably got that wrong I just go the the YOUgov website sign in and all my details are saved