Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation

FullCircle

Visit site
Sounds like a plan!
Grand stuff. My birthday is 5th July, and I never work on my birthday, so that was the ex-Pirates weekend which has withered on the vine. So how about weekend of 2nd and 3rd July?
I can book Full Circle into Heybridge for the weekend.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
If I can do the dates, I'd tentatively suggest a block /"club" booking for the basin for all those who want to be there by boat (which I'll organise if the house approves unless somebody else is desperate to do it!)

Sixpence

Visit site
Time to start a 'Dinghy Raid' thread?

So glad you didn't mention 'organise', it just wouldn't do to suggest such a thing on the ECF :encouragement:

Anyone from my neck of the woods wants to join in but don't have a tender, you're welcome to borrow mine, never got round to completing the outboard bracket but she does have oars

sbc002.jpg

Sixpence

Visit site
Indeed, I may have completed the fixing bracket in time too, just need to service the outboard with a broken prop which is a bit heavy on vibrations, but the offer is there should anyone be in need

FullCircle

Visit site
So glad you didn't mention 'organise', it just wouldn't do to suggest such a thing on the ECF :encouragement:

Anyone from my neck of the woods wants to join in but don't have a tender, you're welcome to borrow mine, never got round to completing the outboard bracket but she does have oars

sbc002.jpg

I have a Wetline 230 Roundtail with outboard bracket and Seagull outboard if anyone is feeling intrepid.

The Romford Navy

Visit site
... so I don't know where you get that idea from

Only a comment from what I saw when I was there last year, perhaps we just hit a quite weekend.

Website was advertising a couple of canal boats for hire and a little tourist pop-pop up and down the river, however neither seemed operational. Didn't see anyone go through the lock while I was there and didn't look like it had been opened in a while. East of the lock the canal looked quite weeded-up like nothing had been along there for a while. Also seem to recall reading at Heybridge a notice about one of the locks being out of operation for the foreseeable future as it needed repair.

Anyway, hopefully I got the wrong impression and all is currently operational.

glenp

Visit site
Having just read the thread I'll add a couple of notes.

If the Company is wound up the navigation reverts to the riparian land owners, in reality that would almost certainly have meant Heybridge Basin being sold off to one of the marina groups and the remainder being closed.

It was London wrg that were "digging" there, not Essex (we're there in March). Voluntary labour both from locals and visiting groups has helped keep costs down and made the navigation viable.

The navigation is certainly open throughout, and may even get extended at the Chelmsford end! I'm not aware of any lock closures at the moment but if there are I'm sure they'll be sorted by the spring.

Weed is an ongoing problem, not much you can do about it except hope the weedcutter has been through. They upgraded the kit a bit in the last year which should mean they can do more cutting.

Glen

Sixpence

Visit site
Weed is an ongoing problem, not much you can do about it except hope the weedcutter has been through. They upgraded the kit a bit in the last year which should mean they can do more cutting.

Glen

Is the schedule of weed cutting available anywhere ?, the weed cutters on the river Glen do a good job and it takes a while before the weed grows back so plans for river trips would be made a lot easier if people could plan for certain dates. Tide charts are available to help those sailing in open waters, but we never knew when the weed cutters were going to arrive, kind of makes planning a bit awkward

glenp

Visit site
I'll ask the question next time I'm in touch with the relevant people. I'm not aware of there being a specific schedule, I've a feeling it's dependent on who's available and what other jobs need doing.

Glen