Cheap Squeaker anyone?

ari

Visit site
Not sure I could buy a boat off a bloke who can't spell 'flies' or 'two'! :D

Do love these classic Sunseekers though.

Portofino

Visit site
is that right?
48ft and 3.25m beam???
and just one porthole on each side?

Yup .
20 + year old design and v popular, big seller at the time .They did a S hawk 34 and 40 all 3.25 m beam .
They also did a Beamer Portofino range .Same engine set up in the Porto s except not triples but more weight and drag with a 3.55 m beam .Incidentally that beam was set on the then 12 M Med mooring width at the time,s most popular beam sos it would fit .Thas t what a guy at sunseeker told me .
We looked at S hawks back then ,but the performance oriantated hull - narrow beam was too much a compromise accommodation wise and headroom wise for a growing family of 4 .
There were loads on Port Grimaud moored at the bottom of people’s gardens and in an around - day boats really .
Triple gives a few extra knots and the installation is very tight for lateral access .The KADs will be aged now with 3 x the normal associated problems , belts , turbo pipage , turbos , etc .
They did a few Trimax surface drives which imho are the pick of the crop 50 knot easy ie making best use of the skinny beam .
A few one off as well .I have know a guy with a 48 With factory fit Seateks and Arnesons good for 70 knots .
There’s a few 34 hulls with Trimax surface they rebadged theses 40 ,s - great sun lounger/ day boat in the Med .
I think they took the sterndrive / rear engine Surface drive set up as far as they could in those days .
Start drifting north of 45 ft you bump into a host of accomplished Italian open sports boats on shafts or Arnesons at the time - mid 90 ,s early 2000 ,s Baia , Otam , Pershing , and of course Itama .

Theses have beam and K,g s and crucially mid engines for better balance .

The balance and weight dynamics with the SH 48 are on the edge stern weight wise .
In waves particularly in a head sea the struggle to get going they porpoise a lot being narrow lack lift so drop off the plane or nearly drop off so the bow now rides up the wave and down from the apex .
I,ve seen a few off in head seas all that rear weight works against them from a trim POV .
Flat calm they see me off as expected.

I guess theses days the market has matured and the accommodation and liveability side has trumped the performance side as well as size L wise so there’s no real big market anymore .
There’s been talk of them rekindling the S hawk range say a 50 or 70 , but again you are going head to head with accomplished established Italian players .

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I'd assumed that the one of the three engines would be on a jackshaft but that doesn't look to be he case! Access to the sides is going to be non existent so I guess that you've got to change your mindset and accept that anything othr than routine maintenance might require an engine to be removed which lets face it could only be a morning's work.

As for accommodation, this is a Med party boat. Loads of space on deck, a decent forecabin and a saloon big enough to watch the Grad Prix with your mates. As long as it's got some bid beer fridges What more do you need?

At that price, I'd be assuming the worst and would pull the engines for a thorough check and have all the ancillaries replaced (£15k?).

Apart the engines, with any luck all you'd need to get it in a good useable state is A/C (£4k) and I assume new covers, cockpit upholstery, carpets, polish, etc.

In total, £90-100k would get you a cracking boat. I wonder if they would let me park it on my 10m x 3.5m berth?

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
As for accommodation, this is a Med party boat. Loads of space on deck, a decent forecabin and a saloon big enough to watch the Grad Prix with your mates. As long as it's got some bid beer fridges What more do you need?

Pete, have you actually been on one of these Superhawks? They are nice (I like the slightly later 40) but they are *really* narrow, you notice it in the cockpit as well as down below. Day boat territory really, for you and your 'nieces' :D

petem

Pete, have you actually been on one of these Superhawks? They are nice (I like the slightly later 40) but they are *really* narrow, you notice it in the cockpit as well as down below. Day boat territory really, for you and your 'nieces' :D

I think there's a bigger issue than the beam, if I bought that boat SWMBO would divorce me (nieces or no nieces) :)!

kashurst

Visit site
Is it on shafts or outdrives, lot of boat for the money. Three throttles, superchargers. Mind it would be a long boring weekend doing the valves.

petem

Try crawling between these babies....

Moottorivene-Sunseeker-d37f3c56e0773b7d-large.jpg

vas

Visit site

Moottorivene-Sunseeker-d37f3c56e0773b7d-large.jpg

nice!

can you EVEN change oil, filters and impellers like that or you have to pull the middle engine out first?

...and I guess if you drop a spanner in there, you just leave it until next engine out service :p

MapisM

Visit site
Urgh. It beggars belief that they didn't go for a staggered configuration. The only drawback would have been even less cockpit space of course, but on a boat like that they could pretend that a longer sunpad was meant to accomodate more OBs... :cool:
Besides, staggered engines would have allowed outdrives to be installed closer together, hence possibly with higher X-dimension and better performances, for any given power.
Really bizarre. I can see why it takes a very attractive price to get her sold, and I'd be surprised if she would fetch 61 grand, even if I can see why someone might think to get a lot of boat for not much money.

Anyway, P, if you're in the mood of drooling over the ultimate day boat, you might as well consider this one.
Granted to run circles around Porto's Itama, regardless of sea conditions! :encouragement:

Portofino

Visit site
Anyway, P, if you're in the mood of drooling over the ultimate day boat, you might as well consider this one.
Granted to run circles around Porto's Itama, regardless of sea conditions! :encouragement:

There’s not a lot of speed gain for the quad set up in that L catagory ? @24 M this only twin MTU 1820 Hp can achieve over 40 knots at 1/2 the fuel burn and the luxury of being to swing your cat in the ER .
Oh in the lux stakes there’s no competition either .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPp-Vsc9XY&feature=youtu.be

Back to the Sun Slammer :) as I said over and above the service tightness of a triple KAD in a 3.25 m beam the real ball ache is the rearwards weight bias and hassle trimming it , I would imagine @ any decent speeds it’s a wet boat in terms of spray because the pointy bow and extra L with such a poor balance ,the porpoising would keep wetting far too much anterior to the CoG .In a head sea you would back off to keep dry .In any moderate seas and wind those trying to relax on the rear sunpad would get soaked from the spray .

Like I keep saying and happy to continue drilling it in - you have to test drive em in other than pancake flat seas to avoid ending up with somthing that looks good at a show or on the hard and on paper and pics .Thats the avoidable trap .

Speaking of balance the FB 80 has effectively “ fuel ballast “ . Somthing like 3 x 10000 L tanks , one of which is in the bow area, partly explains the spartan fit out .Thats one way of getting round its quad rear engine weight bias .
Note it’s published performance stats are 1/2 tanks ,fwiw ?
It could potentially eat £61 K in any year on engine AND Arneson drive maintenance ( quad V12 MTU ) and I guess burn through £61K with two / three tank fill ups .

I don,t believe the 200 L /h per enginev@1900 rpm either .

MapisM

Visit site
I guess you are not aware of the history behind that specific boat, Jez.
This webpage summarizes the design ideas behind that particular vessel, and the outstanding list of records which she ate for breakfast.
In other words, not exactly designed to win any beauty contest!

Otoh, I wouldn't mind one of those afterwards built by OTAM.
Btw Porto, happy to agree to disagree on this, but in my books comparing a Ferretti designed and built Itama 75 with a machine of this level with is pretty much a chalk and cheese comparison, in my books.
You must raise the bar to a Magnum 80, to get anywhere near her.