Cheap source of long lengths of plastic pipe 1"

StefanSG

Visit site
Looking for some cheap pipe to use as a support for a tarpaulin while I paint my decks, ideally around 1" ID, need about 25 meters of it ? Each length needs to be 7 meters or so. And ID needs to be 22-25mm to fit over the stanchions. Any ideas ? It will get recycled onto my allotment when I'm done ! Or is that PEX pipe too floppy ?

StefanSG

andsarkit

Visit site
MDPE water pipe is often used for cheap polytunnels. MDPE. You would have to check the ID and it might be better to go up a size to make it more rigid. Your local agricultural store should have several sizes in stock.

NormanS

Visit site
I'm sure if you drive around, you'll see either water companies working with suitable blue pipe, or gas companies working with yellow. Then you just have to speak nicely to someone.

fisherman

Visit site
Alkathene is not ideal for this sort of supporting role. If you can find coms duct, it is orange or black and yellow, has many small cores, and is very robust while still flexible. You can even screw it together.
We used it for making lobster pots, water pipe always collapses or kinks.

1661534062069.png

Malabarista

Visit site
I did this a couple of years ago and sheeted the whole boat. The problem that i found was the weight of snow/water would bend the mdpe. I cured it by sliding rebar up the ends and using the end caps ( v. cheap) for scaffold tubes to stop it marking the decks. It worked well until a large storm removed it and tore the tarp to shreds.