Cheap portable generators

PhilS

Woodbridge, Sail from River Orwell on East Coast
Visit site

CLB

Visit site
I have a Kipor, basically a copy of a Honda. Bought it about 10 years ago and used it last week. Never broken down, never let me down but it might be pot luck.

Concerto

Visit site
Check out the noise level emitted and you will see how quiet the more expensive generators are. Look for one near 50db for a low intrusion to life on board. 60db is quite intrusive.

philwebb

Visit site
Hi +1 for Kipor I bought a second hand one to power tools for some big jobs on my boat and have found it very good. Easy to start and reliable.

Steve_N

Visit site
I noticed that £200 gets you a cheap 1200W generator that has fairly good reviews on Amazon. For example the Wolf
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Leisu..._1_2?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1532465271&sr=1-2
I believe this is unrelated to the Wolf that makes garden machinery. A "real" Honda generator is £800.
Anyone getting good results from low cost generators? I would rather pay £200 then £800!

I think it's an Impax. Screwfix and others sell them as Impax while some including Machinemart re-badge them.
I've been using the smaller 700W just to run my 20A Sterling charger, plus the occasional other task, for a couple of years now and all good so far.
The noise level is quite acceptable.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im800i-700w-inverter-generator-230v/15760

MM5AHO

Visit site
I bought a low cost one and it has proved very reliable and economical.
But it does emit radio frequency noise, enough to make ssb and VHF both un-usable while it's running.

charles_reed

Visit site
Anything cheap wears out quicker and will need to be replaced.

A grand simplification - more elegantly covered by the original old saw "buy cheap, buy twice"

I've heard good reports of the Kipor, except for noise levels and fuel consumption. For most leisure users the better engineered Honda scarcely justifies its extra cost.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Check out the noise level emitted and you will see how quiet the more expensive generators are. Look for one near 50db for a low intrusion to life on board. 60db is quite intrusive.

I don't think that there is any portable generator which will produce anything near 50db unless it is just ticking over, and even then I'm sceptical. Once it is actually being used meaningfully I would bet that they are all way above 60db at a typical working distance. :confused:

Richard

No Regrets

Visit site
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-2...774265?hash=item1cb1d77ef9:g:ftcAAOSwqWNbROgW

I bought one of these a year or two ago. Quiet, like the Honda, slightly lighter, and works very well indeed.

Now on it's second service, no issues, and a 2 year warranty from Draper. Spares are apparently available as Draper give a toolkit and spares catalogue with every new machine. A dubious philosophy perhaps, but it shows there is a decent back-up!

Very very happy with it. Had an Eu20 (a few actually!) so able to make the comparison.

prv

Visit site
My £250 3KVa generator is still going fine after nearly ten years of intermittent use, mostly running power tools in the yard, sometimes in the rain and with essentially no maintenance. I don't think I've changed the oil more than once in that time.

It is bloody noisy though :). I used to tuck it in amongst the abandoned projects at the edge of the yard with the exhaust pointing out over the water, and run a long extension lead to where I was working.

Pete

lw395

Visit site
A lot of vendors are quoting dB at longer distances like 7m.
What's tolerable is going to depend whether it's for use with tools now and then or whether you're going to run it all evening to watch Tv or whatever.
I've got one of the older 2 stroke 700W generators which is OK for running power tools now and then.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Wolf is just a brand name now for mainly cheap Chinese imports. Have had a few cheap generators but all failed for various reasons. We've had a Honda 20i for a few years now, quiet when just battery charging and unlike the cheap brands, lots of service agents and spares around if it does break. Beware of any Screwfix own brand machinery, there's no service backup or parts for many items after warranty expires.

prv

Visit site
Whatever it is, if it's placed in the engine compartment then it should be acceptably quiet. Running the fans while charging should also keep it cool.

This is about portable generators rather than installed ones.

It ought to be possible to DIY one into the other, but you'd have to do a better job of it than that man who killed his wife and kids when the solder in his home-made exhaust pipe melted.

Pete