Cheap liveaboard for a solo novice/dreamer.

peatbongo

Visit site
Hello there, I think you might get plenty of good ideas from "Fatty Goodlander" about how to live cheaply and do up a cheap boat cheaply. He is also very amusing... Good luck and winds to you. Pete

GHA

Visit site
Hello there, I think you might get plenty of good ideas from "Fatty Goodlander" about how to live cheaply and do up a cheap boat cheaply. He is also very amusing... Good luck and winds to you. Pete

Big :encouragement: about Fatty Goodlander, "Buy,Outfit & Sail" & "Storm Proofing" both essential reads for a cruising bot IMHO.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...find a yacht suitable for a solo novice...no more than £3000 on a project yacht between 24'-30' with a sound hull and rigging...I want a boat that is sea worthy and isn't going to restrict me to coastal as my skill improves...dream is to cross the channel and work my way through the French waterways, therefore, avoiding the Bay of Biscay. This will allow me to enter the Balearic, Med, Aegean etc...

I've not read all the posts, but giv a plug - and hope/expect someon'e already done so - the 'Albin Vega'; 27' and @ 5'8" it'll give you standing headroom ; Lesley and I pretty much did what you're planning - other than going via Biscay, which is well within the Vega's comfort zone - between 2004 & 2010.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@CKG it's been 4 months since you first and only posting other then the posting on a seal ?
Question , after all the replies of encouragement by some here , ( sorry I wasn't any help with my words of doom ) how did you get on ?
Did you buy a boat for 3K ? If so what type? How well is your plain going ? or have you put it on hold ?
By the way if you still looking there hundred of damaged boat littered around the Med after this season storm , taken many novice sailors by surprise . Also experience sailor too .
Your comment will be welcome to others with the same plain as yours .