Chartplotter or Ipad?

Dino

Visit site
Hi,
I'm usually based inland but I am planning to do some coastal cruising this year. My boat has no nav equipment except a compass. I also have a Garmin 72/76 handheld GPS and I have two good iPads with Navionics installed. These get their GPS signal from a Bluetooth GPS receiver. I have waterproof cases, charging capability, etc. I will also have paper charts, pilot books and an almanac.
I'm wondering whether I should also buy a fixed chartplotter, whether it is a new or second-hand unit.
I have seen a Garmin Echomap 50s for sale second-hand that looks like an option. Or should I be looking at something newer?
Are there any fixed units that will connect with my iPad to provide a GPS signal?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

BruceK

Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following your questions. You say you already have a functioning Bluetooth GPS receiver. If it is accurate why change? I have an Android tab with a built in GPS receiver that is as accurate as the chartplotter. but much prefer it to the chartplotter because of the Navionics app on it. I just like Navionics. However the chartplotter comes in handy because it feeds the DSC radio GPS information which the tab cannot do, (and I dont think your Garmin 72/76 can either). The two together work well as I run the chartplotter zoomed out in large scale for routing and passage planning but Navionics zoomed in for detail. If your DSC radio does not have built in GPS then I would strongly suggest getting or chartplotter or at least then I understand the rationale behind changing the GPS receiver. I believe there is a App on iTunes that can help you take GPS readings from a GPS receiver https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nmea-gps/id590868529?mt=8

jrudge

Visit site
I pads are great.

You seem to have power, GPS sorted etc.

There are two downsides ....

1. full sunlight viewing is poor ( and if the unit gets too hot ( they can in the med) they will shut down with a "Cool me down" message)

2. the big one ... they don't interface with the autohelm ( someone will figure it out one day) so you either have to manually steer or use heading hold.

They are cheap and the Navionics charts excellent.

wellf100

Visit site
i've been using Navionics on a 5inch Samsung Galaxy android phone held in a rail mount (open sportsfisher boat) for the last 3 years around Guernsey, Herm and Sark. Works perfectly. Might upgrade the phone to something a bit bigger and with GLONASS soon. But if i do it's so handy that Navionics syncs across devices...and just £12 a year renewal.

Dino

Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks. I suppose I'm used to sailing boats with built-in chart plotters and most of my sailing was done before iPads became popular for navigation. I guess the iPads will be sufficient for what I need to do. Maybe I should get a second GPS receiver like a Garmin GLO. The sunlight viewing should be okay because I have a canopy on the aft deck and temperature won't be an issue on the West Coast of Ireland.
I'm planning a two to three week cruise and I will be well crewed. I'll look into the VHF DSC also. I only have a very prehistoric VHF and a handheld so I am considering an upgrade.

RupertW

Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks. I suppose I'm used to sailing boats with built-in chart plotters and most of my sailing was done before iPads became popular for navigation. I guess the iPads will be sufficient for what I need to do. Maybe I should get a second GPS receiver like a Garmin GLO. The sunlight viewing should be okay because I have a canopy on the aft deck and temperature won't be an issue on the West Coast of Ireland.
I'm planning a two to three week cruise and I will be well crewed. I'll look into the VHF DSC also. I only have a very prehistoric VHF and a handheld so I am considering an upgrade.

In theory you don't need a chartplotter and at my slow sailing speeds using my existing iPad with Navionics as an electronic paper chart on the table has worked fine. So I do it the old fashioned way that suits me which is keeping my eyes opening and dropping down below every now and again to check I'm right, or if there's a difficult bit coming up.

But if you want to be steering along at a decent speed watching your boat moving across the screen then a full sunlight chartplotter is the right answer.

Just to be clear any iPad with a slot for a SIM card will have full GPS coverage (even out of SIM card range and even with no SIM card in the slot), but you do need internet access to download the detailed charts for later use. So for example I downloaded the entire Adriatic coast in detail last year, and most of Greece the year before.

vodzurk

www.youtube.com
I've only had one year of boating so far, and only in the Bristol Channel, but have been more than happy with my tablet (Sony Xperia Z3 compact) with Navionics installed.

It's great for playing around with the night before... to create a route to follow for less hassle on the day. And to save the routes, and to look at them during work lunch hour :)... like this one... I'm incredibly proud of the route... if you zoom in ;).

Like Whitelighter above says though, test out the max brightness in direct sunlight. I keep mine on a tilt-able clamp, so can easily nudge it out of the sun if it gets on my nerves. Also, waterproof is likely a real concern (mine is).

Bonus with my Android tablet is, I also have navionics installed on my phone as a backup. You might be able to do that if you have an iPhone to match your iPad. I like backups :).

And like RupertW says; Another potential bonus... does your tablet/phone have GPS (satellite) or A-GPS (mobile network)... one is true satellite-based, the other not. If your device(s) has GPS, bonus, it's all built in! Less parts to fail :). But definitely check if it's GPS! Both my phone and tablet are definitely satellite based GPS. And yep, definitely download all the relevant area via your home wifi before heading out.

iapetus

Visit site
Stand in the garden in bright sunlight and try and easily see what's on your screen.
Now get someone to throw a bit of water over you and then answer your own question

+1
Add some polarized sunglasses to the party, and see how totally unreadable the iPad screen becomes.

BruceK

Visit site
Is this peculiar to iPad because I have none of these issues with my Android tab? It is viewable clearly in sunlight, and where as I dont wear Polaroids, I do wear sunglasses and can see it quite adequately. As for water, it's yet to get wet and suffer any harm, but is by no means waterproof.

RupertW

Visit site
Is this peculiar to iPad because I have none of these issues with my Android tab? It is viewable clearly in sunlight, and where as I dont wear Polaroids, I do wear sunglasses and can see it quite adequately. As for water, it's yet to get wet and suffer any harm, but is by no means waterproof.

I don't use it much in the cockpit and we do have a Bimini but I find it fine to read except at some angles in bright sunshine. I've put a waterproof cover on it for years with a floaty case that is ideal to stop it getting bashed. But if you want real time info when driving along at speed (which I don't) then I would get a chartplotter.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Both.

I'd recommend a marine plotter like Garmin EchoMap or one of their entry level 5" or 7" plotters. They come preloaded free of charge with UK/Ireland coastal including Irish Inland Shannon/Erne. I also use an iPad with Garmin BlueChart mobile app but mainly for route planning, tides, etc, and indoors onboard. The advantage of a marine plotter is two fold: 1) it is waterproof, 2) it is sunlight viewable. iPad even in cockpit depending on daylight can be tricky and needs to be nailed down so it can't hit the floor when the Atlantic swell causes a little boat movement, and it doesn't like rain. iPad is a great backup because it has its own battery.

I use "Tides Planner' app which has all the main Irish ports and tidal stream atlas for Ireland. Also like the 'Weatherd4D' app which I find useful for passage planning and especially wave patterns on the west coast of Ireland.

PS: I also have the Navionics app for my iPad, but I just prefer the render of Garmin coastal charts.

julians

Visit site
I currently use a waterproof sony xperia z3 tablet and navionics app, it works very well for the money, but in bright sunlight the screen is virtualy unreadable, it overheats in the med sun, and if you wear polarised glasses the screen can only be viewed when in portrait orientation. So it has a fair few downsides but as said it is cheap.

If you want no downsides then spend the 600-800 quid and get a garmin echomap/raymarine dragonfly/simrad dedicated chartplotter.

I dont tend to go far ajd i know thewaters where i boat quite well, so charts are not too essential for me. If they were essential id have a proper chartplotter.

Last edited:

iapetus

Visit site
All LCD screens are polarized on certain angles in order to maximize contrast and viewing angle. As far as I understand, most general purpose screens have a polarizing angle that is not compatible with polarized glasses, depending on the orientation.
OTOH MFD screens are designed with this in mind (45° pola angle, so less contrast) so they still can be read even with polarized glasses

Dino

Visit site
Thanks for all the great input folks. I think the best option is to go belt and braces and fit a chartplotter. It will be a better option to use the ipad for route planning and upload the full route to the chartplotter.
The Garmin Echomap 65CV looks like a decent unit. I already have an Echopilot Forward Looking Depth sounder so I don't really need the fishfinder part. I presume the chartplotter can be used full screen as well as split screen for the depth. Will the built-in GPS antenna be adequate or would I also need a remote one?

maby

Visit site
Thanks for all the great input folks.

. Will the built-in GPS antenna be adequate or would I also need a remote one?

That depends very much on the structure of your boat and where you intend to mount the plotter. The GPS works perfectly well through a standard GRP hull, but anything metal in the way will significantly reduce the signal. Most mobile phones include a GPS receiver these days - if you can get your hands on one, check how well it works in the location that you propose to install your plotter.

jcwads

Visit site
I use my iPad as I like the clearness of the graphics on the Navionics App. No issues at all with viewing in sunlight. I also have a waterproof case that it goes in. Used it on my Isles of Scilly Trip and all good. I just use my chartplotter for autopilot, GPS info and Radar.

rafiki_

Visit site
I have Raymarine chartplotters on Rafiki. However, I use my iPad with Navionics. If going on a serious trip, I transfer the way points to both chart and chartplotter, but still use the Pad as my goto device. I have not had a problem with seeing the screen, and on our flybridge we only get wet when it is raining.

gjgm

Visit site
How much are you going to rely on the solution? If it all gets a bit grim, are you comfortable with the outcome being based in a tablet?
I think tablets are a great extra, for lounging about with a beer planning the next trip.
I wouldn't like to be off some headland in deteriorating seas and relying on a tablet.
If budget is a consideration, you might find some second hand stuff about as people upgrade ...just check the cost of chart coverage.
On a plotter with a transducer you will also get live depth readings.