chartplotter for small boat.

steve yates

Visit site
would you buy an old simrad cp32 or a new lowrance 4m? Or neither and just go with the garmin gps and echo sounder units that came with it? Bearing in mind I'm learning navigation as I go.

(my original plan, but just seen a potentially cheap simrad that might be worth a punt? )

thx.

Visit site
We don't have a CP on our boat (9mtr), just use cheap tablet (£79) and Navionics software. Also have Navionics on smart phone as a back up. Combined with a weather app and a tides app it gives me all I need.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Go for a cheap tablet(make sure it has gps) and put Navionics app on it. Hudl2 is recommended and Navionics HD is about £38 for the whole of the UK and Holland, so under £200.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't mean to be patronising but if you are still learning navigation, you perhaps ought to stick with the basics for a couple of years, even doing passages without GPS, and you won't regret the confidence that this ability gives you. Plotters are excellent, but need to be used sensibly.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I don't mean to be patronising but if you are still learning navigation, you perhaps ought to stick with the basics for a couple of years, even doing passages without GPS, and you won't regret the confidence that this ability gives you. Plotters are excellent, but need to be used sensibly.

I would advise having the plotter, or some capability on a phone or tablet as a backup but it is well worth getting out the paper charts and a plotting ruler if you want to learn. It is fine to take a short cut when you know how to do it properly but if you use a plotter before you learn how to navigate properly then when the batteries fail you are up a creek and you might not know which one!

steve yates

Visit site
Totally agree about learning with a plotter and paper charts, I have bought them and started already.
But I do want some kind of electronic aid too as I'll be singlehanded most of the time and when its all starting to go wrong, I want as simple and as fast solutions as I can get :)

Actually the tablet idea is a good one, I got a cheap 7" android tablet from amazon the other week with this in mind, thats probably enough to get me out of trouble when I screw up my proper navigation.

Kelpie

Visit site
I don't know how small the OP's boat is, but a tablet is likely to be more vulnerable in a smaller boat.
I'm very happy with my Garmin 451, it's pretty small, and, crucially for a small boat, is bulkhead mounted and waterproof, so not liable to be dropped, stood on, or drowned.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

I am in tottaly agreement with John , leans to navigate first you won't regrete it , it so easy to just turn on the plotter . And the day the GPS or plotter dies you will be glade that you have .

AngusMcDoon

Visit site

That all sounds wonderful, but I expect hardly anyone new to sailing does that now. Plotters are cheap and reliable. Not knowing where you are is a thing of the past.

mawm

Visit site
OTOH -buy a plotter and keep away from the sharp edges. You can still practice all your passage planning and navigation on paper.

Stemar

Visit site
I don't know how small the OP's boat is, but a tablet is likely to be more vulnerable in a smaller boat.
I'm very happy with my Garmin 451, it's pretty small, and, crucially for a small boat, is bulkhead mounted and waterproof, so not liable to be dropped, stood on, or drowned.

While I agree with those who suggest learning the trade without relying on a plotter, it is a useful backup for those "Oh Sh!t, which buoy is that?" moments, or if fog comes down.

I have a small boat (24ft), and a Hudl with Navionics suits me fine. It normally lives below, but if I need it at the helm, it lives in a waterproof map bag left over from my hiking days. I don't think I've ever used it to plot a course, but more as a chart that tells me where I am.

The backup is a Moto G that also has Navionics (no extra charge, and I can synchronise between the two when wife's available. Could probably also do it with Bluetooth, but haven't bothered to figure out how). The Moto G isn't sold as waterproof, but I understand it has a coating that keeps water from doing damage. After a couple of uses in heavy rain, it does seem to work.

steve yates

Visit site
Thanks guys, I'll stick with the little haehne tablet I bought with navionics and the bulkhead mounted gps, that's plenty I reckon. I think I'm just getting that boat disease thing, where you start to buy bits and fix bits instead of actually getting the thing wet. :)

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Thanks guys, I'll stick with the little haehne tablet I bought with navionics and the bulkhead mounted gps, that's plenty I reckon. I think I'm just getting that boat disease thing, where you start to buy bits and fix bits instead of actually getting the thing wet. :)

A problem I have found with displays not intended for boats is that you cannot turn the brightness down sufficiently for night sailing. However, for those starting out, that might not be a problem as night sailing is likely to be a future activity.

lw395

Visit site
Not planned night sailing anyway :)

You're missing a lot!
Maybe it's something to work up to, but I wouldn't rule it out for too long.
Even if it's just arriving at beer o'clock in September, night sailing can be among the best IMHO.