Chartering

tico

Visit site
We have chartered in the Ionian, Sporades and BVI's and are now looking for somewhere else to try. OK we're not the worlds greatest sailors but enjoyed the exileration of the sailing in the BVI's, but not the rip-off mentality. We enjoyed the Tavernas and harbours in Greece but could have done with a bit more wind.
Has anyone any suggestions.... PS we quite enjoy the social aspect of flot sailing. Thanks

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
If you like Greece but would like more wind why not try the Cyclades .Plenty of good breezes there early and late summer f7/8in mid summer the good thing is it can be 35knts and 90deg shorts only kind of sailing WONDERFUL.Cheers Bob T

Bob T

davel

Visit site
...or try Turkey. Many similarities with Greece but generally more wind. People are very friendly and the cuisine is more intereting than Greek fare.

Dave L.

JeremyF

Visit site
Likewise the Saronic - Northerly f5-6 kicks in most afternoons. Historic sites to visit. Very impressive cliff-like shorelines.

Turkey is reported to be like the Cyclades in terms of wind strength.

I guess your boring Greek experience would have been Ionian?

billskip

Visit site
Hi tico..Ive heard it said "the ionian is for the boys the aegean for the men..get out to cyclades..trouble is not many flotillers out there..ive allways had good wind!!!...

tony_brighton

Visit site
"rip-off mentality"?
Can't say I noticed that in the BVIs - I found the people remarkably friendly. Very consistent pricing - $20 for everything (overnight mooring, lobster/chicken/steak/fish dinner etc). You have to pay for some things (e.g. water) cos its in short supply. Did you have a bad experience?

G

Best ever charter we did was in Desolation Sound between Vancouver Island and the mainland of Canada. This a stunning cruising area - deep water glacial channels between steep sided wooded islands. Weather largely better than the UK but more motoring than sailing.

We chartered from Desoltion Sound Yacht Charters in Comox on VI. If you're interested let me know.

G

I've heard good things about sailing off Malta - but should stress I've not sailed there, just visited the islands, which IMHO you can't beat.

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
If you liked the Caribbean but disliked the outrageous expense of the BVIs (about which I agree), you could try chartering in the Southern Caribbean - Grenada or St. Lucia and visiting the islands in between. Plenty of wind and some fine anchorages - forget the $20 a night BVI moorings. A one way charter might be best if you have limited time. Not sure that they do flotillas, though.

Phaon Reid, S/Y Avalon of Arne
www.sailingontheweb.com

DaveParry

Visit site
Re: Greece and Croatia

I have to support the Croatia vote. I've chartered Greece, Turkey and Croatia and would favour the last in terms of relative unspoiltness, cheapness and loads of islands/coastal national park and winds. We had 6 days of F4-F6 in glorious sunshine and enjoyed every minute of it. You'll probably have to hurry though as more people get to find out about it!