Chartering in Greece

CPD

Visit site
A friend is looking at chartering a 50ft yacht in Greece. Can anyone recommend companies to go for, and those to possibly avoid ?. Many thanks.

FullCircle

Visit site
Olive Oyl has her Bavaria managed by Kiriacoulis I think. If thats anything to go by, the boats are nicely presented.

Tranona

Visit site
Greece is a big place and there are many operators from big multinationals to one man bands.

You need to be more specific about area and criteria. Are you after the newest boat, cheapest, is organisation an issue (eg flights) time of year, do you want to book late etc.

There are few bad operators - the market is too competitive. Most of them advertise in YM and many work through agents such as Tenrag or Latesail.

Although there is plenty of choice in the 36-45ft range, less so in 50 footers bareboat so you will find the choice limited by that criterion.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
We've used Setsail, who are medium sized and very good. However, they only operate in a few areas in Greece (including the Sporades, which is where we went, and which I recommend). I don't think they have their own fifty footers, though they have a few Bav 42s, but there was one on the flotilla that we went on, which I imagine they'd hired in from elsewhere.

I've also heard good things of Sailing Holidays but have no personal experience.

Also, don't discount S*ns**l. They're a big organisation and therefore have good purchasing power, and back-up when/if things go pear-shaped.

BelleSerene

Visit site
Olive Oyl has her Bavaria managed by Kiriacoulis I think. If thats anything to go by, the boats are nicely presented.

I would avoid Kiriacoulis, as the maintenance programme is apparently pretty poor. I went for a 49' Bavaria with Activeyachts.gr who seemed to look after their fleet rather better.

Didn't stop us getting caught out on one passage in a steady 50 knots of breeze though...

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
We've had many good experiences with Nautilus, both in Greece and elsewhere. Just come back from Thailand with them and have booked from Athens in June.

Greg2

Visit site
We went with Cosmos out of Athens. Happy enough with them albeit we had an older boat (by choice) and had one or two maintenance issues. The newer boats were good though.

Visit site
I would avoid Kiriacoulis, as the maintenance programme is apparently pretty poor. I went for a 49' Bavaria with Activeyachts.gr who seemed to look after their fleet rather better.

Didn't stop us getting caught out on one passage in a steady 50 knots of breeze though...

I posted elsewhere but was not too chuffed with the Bav 43 Kiracoulis had for us in Kos this last year.
Broken bits, Clew tore out, no Outboard fuel / tank, Faulty Halyard Windlass, very little spare rope / warps, minimal tools and 'just in case' stuff.
The boat was 18mo old and had a hard life already - battered and clattered down both sides, with a hull repair clearly evident !

However, I am in the market for a 45ft+ 3 cabin charter in Greece for later in the year so will watcht this thread with interest !

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
I posted elsewhere but was not too chuffed with the Bav 43 Kiracoulis had for us in Kos this last year.
Broken bits, Clew tore out, no Outboard fuel / tank, Faulty Halyard Windlass, very little spare rope / warps, minimal tools and 'just in case' stuff.
The boat was 18mo old and had a hard life already - battered and clattered down both sides, with a hull repair clearly evident !

However, I am in the market for a 45ft+ 3 cabin charter in Greece for later in the year so will watcht this thread with interest !

Minimal tools are for a reason - they don't want numpties fiddling.

st599

Visit site
but what about when things need fixing that should of been fixed before departure?:p

anyway, moving on..... 50ft / comfortable cruisers for Bareboat in Greece.

They prefer you to use the lead engineer for that.

Was in Lavrio last year when a crew came back in. The 22 year old skipper had tried to go upwind in 40 knots with full sail. Both were shredded. He'd also lost 6 fenders and 2 warps. God knows what he'd do with a toolkit. (he was surprised to lose the deposit).

thomd

Visit site
6 of us chartered a Bavaria 37 from Nisos Charters in the Greek Ionian Islands last September and would highly recommend them for quality of boats and service.

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
If we need to charter in an additional yacht we use Athenian Yachting, who are the Jeanneau agents in Greece.

They are not the cheapest but their yachts are well-maintained, they give an excellent handover, and everything is included - none of this nonsense about extra for a GPS or dinghy engine.

I know someone who has three Ocean Star 52s and could probably get you a very good price on one of these as well if you want to PM me. I don't vouch for the condition or handover of these boats in the same way as Athenian but you get what you pay for normally don't you?