Charterers Tool Kit

lustyd

Visit site
Hi all, I recently chartered from Sunsail down in Port Solent. As a result I am putting together a tool kit to take with me on future charters. I'm looking for advice on things that are missing that you think may be useful, or possibly things you think may be pointless to add in.
So far I have:
  • Multimeter
  • Screwdrivers
  • Adjustable Spanners (medium and large)
  • Pliers
  • String
  • Splicing Fid
  • Sail needles
  • Twine

Is it worth adding a socket set? This would be quite a large item and one that I would definitely carry on my own boat but not sure when chartering.
Is a soldering iron a good idea?
Should I add spares, if so which?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Dave

dt4134

Visit site
That's a lot of kit to carry to each charter.

A decent charter boat should already have tools & spares on board. Try a boat from Hamble Point Yacht Charters, for example.

lustyd

Visit site
That's a lot of kit to carry to each charter.

A decent charter boat should already have tools & spares on board. Try a boat from Hamble Point Yacht Charters, for example.

All that fits in a fairly small tool bag so not too much problem given the trouble it could save. I realise decent charter boats should have all this but you never know until you get there. As I said I recently chartered a Sunsail so once bitten twice shy :)

savsail

www.eltonmarineservices.com
Chartering toolkit

I thoughly agree with the above, if yoou find that there is not a basic toolkit on board you should be demanding one, better still find a charter company that does supply what is essential to a safe charter.
Maybe the moral of that story is check the boats itinerary before you book.

The sort of things I take on a charter is safety equipment.
This is the sort of thing I have been carrying at the bottom of my kitbag for many years.
1. My own annually serviced lifejacket and harness,although any charterer would keep life jackets on board, it's nice to know for a fact that this item has been serviced and WILL work.
2. A fully charged hand held radio.
3. A handheld Garmin GPS, this only needs to be the most basic, so that you always have a position fix in a hurry.
4. A lead line so that you can soon find out what the depth acually is. This is especially useful just to check what depth is shown is actual depth or depth below the keel.
5. Binoculars with compass.

You could, of course, add on to this but these five are the ones I have found the most usefull.

Boat44

Solent (but never on a bank holiday weekend)
Visit site
Ours is well stocked with tools and spares as we use it privately and I have a self sufficiency mentality. That’s not to say I would necessarily want all my charterers/skippers trying to fix things. Some are very competent; others should just stay in the bar!!

If I was taking stuff, I would take a mix of tools and personal safety kit. A lot would depend on the company I was chartering from and what I was intending to do. (We have used Hamble Point and they have a nice selection of good quality boats. Had a great time on a Najad 36 across the channel for a weekend.)
1) Hand held VHF;
2) Handhelp GPS
3) Knife;
4) duct tape;
5) zip ties;
6) multi tool (although I would get somebody else to take it as I absolutely hate them!)
7) life jackets/harnesses.
8) My Iphone with Navionics (Yes I know you are not suppose to use it for navigation, but it is damn good!)

Its interesting that others would take there own lifejackets. Whilst charter boast are required to inspect their lifejackets annually, some of them I would not necessarily trust. Ours are inspected by the manufacturer each year and a cert. issued. It is amazing how many “things” they fix each year, from broken lights to faulty bladders! I’m with Savsail, you want 100% confidence that it will work when you want it; there is no point skimping; you would just be setting yourself up for a Darwin award. (What has happened to those anyway?)

lustyd

Visit site
Hadn't considered ties and tape, thanks. I also prefer to be self sufficient and it's always nice to know the tools are there when needed. Charter companies always have a toolkit but sometimes tools go missing and I'd rather invest £30 in tools than spoil a holiday. I agree on the LJs too, our charter boat had loads but I wouldn't have bet my life they would go off even knowing they were serviced regularly.

Ours is well stocked with tools and spares as we use it privately and I have a self sufficiency mentality. That’s not to say I would necessarily want all my charterers/skippers trying to fix things. Some are very competent; others should just stay in the bar!!

If I was taking stuff, I would take a mix of tools and personal safety kit. A lot would depend on the company I was chartering from and what I was intending to do. (We have used Hamble Point and they have a nice selection of good quality boats. Had a great time on a Najad 36 across the channel for a weekend.)
1) Hand held VHF;
2) Handhelp GPS
3) Knife;
4) duct tape;
5) zip ties;
6) multi tool (although I would get somebody else to take it as I absolutely hate them!)
7) life jackets/harnesses.
8) My Iphone with Navionics (Yes I know you are not suppose to use it for navigation, but it is damn good!)

Its interesting that others would take there own lifejackets. Whilst charter boast are required to inspect their lifejackets annually, some of them I would not necessarily trust. Ours are inspected by the manufacturer each year and a cert. issued. It is amazing how many “things” they fix each year, from broken lights to faulty bladders! I’m with Savsail, you want 100% confidence that it will work when you want it; there is no point skimping; you would just be setting yourself up for a Darwin award. (What has happened to those anyway?)

jwilson

Visit site
Hi all, I recently chartered from Sunsail down in Port Solent. As a result I am putting together a tool kit to take with me on future charters. I'm looking for advice on things that are missing that you think may be useful, or possibly things you think may be pointless to add in.
So far I have:
  • Multimeter
  • Screwdrivers
  • Adjustable Spanners (medium and large)
  • Pliers
  • String
  • Splicing Fid
  • Sail needles
  • Twine

Is it worth adding a socket set? This would be quite a large item and one that I would definitely carry on my own boat but not sure when chartering.
Is a soldering iron a good idea?
Should I add spares, if so which?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Dave

As owner of a charter boat (that has a tool kit on board) I dread charterers who turn up with toolboxes. Have had people dismantling panels to get at wiring because the windlass did not work. If they'd read the detailed illustrated INSTRUCTION BOOK on board they would have known that on modern mid-sized Jeanneaus you must have the engine running to use the electric windlass - there is a relay that only powers the feed to the windlass when the engine is running.

I know one person who no longer charters out, but who would not allow toolboxes to be brought on board.

bbg

Visit site
I know one person who no longer charters out, but who would not allow toolboxes to be brought on board.
That's my understanding. I am reasonably competent with DIY, and happy to fiddle with things on my own boat, but wouldn't want to touch someone else's. AFAIAC the only tool I should need to bring aboard a charter boat is a mobile phone.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
As owner of a charter boat (that has a tool kit on board) I dread charterers who turn up with toolboxes. Have had people dismantling panels to get at wiring because the windlass did not work. If they'd read the detailed illustrated INSTRUCTION BOOK on board they would have known that on modern mid-sized Jeanneaus you must have the engine running to use the electric windlass - there is a relay that only powers the feed to the windlass when the engine is running.

When I jammed a sail slide in the mast track on a Moorings boat in the BVI there wasn't even a screwdriver on board, let alone any way of climbing the mast. The company sent a RIB instead - they hate the idea of charterers messing with their boats, and I have to say I can see their point. If the charterer hasn't put certain tools on board then that that may be because they don't want you messing . . . not all people are equally handy with tools.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

When I jammed a sail slide in the mast track on a Moorings boat in the BVI there wasn't even a screwdriver on board, let alone any way of climbing the mast. The company sent a RIB with two guys instead - they hate the idea of charterers messing with their boats, and I have to say I can see their point. If the charterer hasn't put certain tools on board then that that may be because they don't want you messing . . . not all people are equally handy with tools.

- W

emsworthy

Visit site
That's my understanding. I am reasonably competent with DIY, and happy to fiddle with things on my own boat, but wouldn't want to touch someone else's. AFAIAC the only tool I should need to bring aboard a charter boat is a mobile phone.

You've obviously never chartered a boat from Sunsail at Port Solent then! I have twice, and twice the boat broke!

You're right though, when the gear linkage broke motoring through Portsmouth Harbour the only tool I used was my mobile phone demanding they brought us a another boat whilst we tried to anchor with it stuck in reverse!! If it were my boat, and I certainly possess more than enough engineering knowledge to have fixed it quickly myself, I'd have rolled my sleeves up and got on with. As, although I know things break on even the best maintained boats, my view was that the boat was so badly prepared it was a question of what and when rather than if something broke on that particular boat.:mad:

Last edited:

shmoo

Visit site
I would add at least £500 (or EUR or USD depending on location) in cash

Cards are wonderful, but there are still circumstances where real money will smooth the way.

Visit site
Thats a fair whack of weight you are taking on each charter too - sorry I mean as in Flying out to a Charter, not Weight on board being an issue !:p
or are you flying to these Charters ?

I am finding as lead on the Charter my bag is getting heavier and heavier, and I am learning to take less and less clothes :eek:

I have also noticed depending on the Charter company, or more to the point whether the Charter company runs 'Personal Yachts' or Fleet yachts makes a massive difference to what is on board.

Horizon (Antigua) and Top Yacht (out of their Owner Charter in Turkey) were both well stocked boats - Bolt cutters, multiple fuel filters, String bags, Bungs near every hull penetration, many warps etc.

Worst I have had so far was Kiracoul in Kos.
2 x Warps only :eek: , six Foam Lifecakets, Harness that will snap you not save you, no Outboard fuel can, handful of Scredrivers and an adjustable.

It is only when you start mulling it over you realise the bits you don't have. It is all very well being eager to get away from the dock on Day one, but......

I tend to take a Mobile and has been used to get the charter company out on a few occasions, MultiTool, a trip hook for the Anchor, string bag, and Real Glasses for the G&T !!!

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
My feeling on chartering a yacht...

If you cant fit everything for the trip into your carry-on, you are hoiking around too much gear, and probably going someplace too cold.

If the boat breaks, get'em to fix it. Why should you get your hands dirty when your shelling our £1500 a week???

MissFitz

Visit site
Can quite see why charter companies don't want people like me sticking screwdrivers in their works - can't see where the harm is in taking a roll of duct tape & a few bits of string though, & possibly even a can of WD40.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com

Nice idea, but there are those who like to fiddle

I know charter companies who had to replace the head after some charterers thought they could unblock it (when it wasn't blocked, the sea cocks were closed) because they had threaded the holes that screws go into on the top plate.

How about they charterers who were most surprised to find the liferaft following them, saying "It must have slipped off the coach roof" even tho they managed to sail to the harbour, and it had never come adrift before.

I know of someone who was called down to the boat at 7am because the charterers couldn't find the main halyard, the thought of leaving them with a full toolkit would be quite frightening :)

And you wonder why some charter companies leave the minimum of tools? :D

Maybe because the know how to fix most of the problems the charterers will come across, and anything else can be done by a professional, where ever they happen to be.

Believe me you do meet some numpty charterers who think they know better

Visit site
Aaah but what is the biggest danger ?

Sending out Charterers to sea WITHOUT toolkits / spares and more the point bits and pieces to make a dury rig when the inevitable happens, or, send them out WITH. ?

As I, and others have alluded, some boats are sent our I am sure with the full knowledge of the base that things aren't right or missing.

How about "Don't use the Holding tanks, we have had problems with the Sea cocks, best leave them open" :mad:

And as said earlier, when coughing £1.5k, everything SHOULD work, and everything should be there as per spec / requirements.

Sadly whenever I have asked ahead of a booking to have details of the boat / inventory / specifics, it often has not been forthcoming in great detail. By the time you are on board it is often too late.

Sadly I heard recently that the Top Yacht Outfits in Turkey are not going to be the same set up as before, and they 'may' be turning to be a agent type company instead of running some owner boats.

Anyone else heard this ? I thought they were one of the best when I used them before.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Things to take on a charter

I am chartering soon while my yacht sits on the hard with brokers. I too have wondered what to put in my bag

I think I will include the following
Handheld VHF
Garmin etrex and my laptop with OpenCPN
Lead line
Cable ties to mark the anchor chain
Binoculars
Leatherman
Safety knife
Masking tape and black marker to label things that need labelling
Reminder list of things to check when getting handover (list borrowed from PYD skipper who brought my yacht back from the Med)

TS

lustyd

Visit site
toolkit

Thanks all for your replies. I must say I'm a bit shocked by some of the replies. While I understand that charter companies don't want people fiddling with the boat I think it's pretty irresponsible to go to sea without the means to correct the boat in an emergency. I'd rather have a small toolbag onboard which I am familiar with and be able to rectify a problem mid channel than get run down by a tanker, or call a lifeboat out for a breakdown.
Calling the charter company is all well and good but they cannot respond quickly when you are at sea which will at best ruin a holiday and at worst put lives at risk.

Following a trip last week to the Isle of Man from Scotland I may also add a bosuns chair to my list. We unfortunately suffered a ripped spinnaker and had to go up and retrieve it. Luckily the boat belonged to a very prepared RYA instructor so all went well :)