Charter

dnickj

Visit site
Hi All

We (wife and I) are starting to work towards the dream just paid off the house (want to keep it for rental income hopefully about £1000 per month.
The aim over the next year or so is to complete Yachtmasters with DOT endorsement for commercial chartering. Now all we need to do is finance the boat (saving like mad at the moment). Our intention is to aim for something about 40ft and have it coded for charter work. Recon we would have to achieve an income from skippered charter of about 10K a year so say about 12 weeks charter. With the rest of the time being our own. Our initial thought is to head for the med then from there on who knows.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any other comments welcome

<hr width=100% size=1>

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Hi

We've been running skippered charter in Greece for the past three years. Laws here were very restrictive but now beginning to relax. Best way to charter here is to buy Greek-flagged professional boat rather than try to get UK flagged boat recognised. You do need to have a year resident here, or have Greek partner though.

Running costs are quite high, so to achieve 10K income you'd need more than 12 weeks charter.

Could tell you lots but for now I'd say that we found it almost impossible to try to run charter business without a land base, so you may have to look at renting or buying property where you want to be based.

Croatia seems to be very busy and shortage of larger boats there I hear.

<hr width=100% size=1>Melody McKay Burton
Yacht Valentine, Greece