Charging accumulators

NFCN

Visit site
On my fresh water system I have 2 accumulators. One has a traditional bike pump attachement on the top, the other a black screw type fitting. While no expert, I think one is linked to the FW pump and the other to the calorifier.

Of late the FW pump has started as soon as the tap is turned on. I assume therefore that one or both of the accumulators has lost its charge and requires refilling.

Is it a simple case of FW pump off, shut off water supply to the accumulators and recharge - one with a bike pump forcing air into the top, and the other by draining it? Or is it more complicated?

Any tips gratefully received.

Nick

seamaster30

www.marina.ie
You will need to de-pressurise the system before pumping in the air - turn off the power to the pump and open the taps, then pump to the appropriate pressure.
Then you can close the taps and connect the power again.

Cliveshep

Visit site
Getting the "appropriate" pressure is an excercise and another helpful forumite offered a "rule of thumb" that worked for me a couple of weeks ago. Pump up the accumulator, turn on the water pump. Bleed some air out of the accumulator until the pump starts up. Do this a couple of times, when the pump no longer starts up that's it, you'll need to pump a little air back into the accumulator. No need for pressure gauges and long forum threads, it is a practical approach that works fine. The idea is for the pump to fully compress the diaphraghm in the accumulator pushing against the air above it, so its a bit trial and error, having said that I got it first time.