Charger/Shorepower Unit.... mounting in engine compartment?

jimbouy

www.bluemoonlight.co.uk
I have a combined shorepower/battery charger unit to fit. I've been wondering about a suitable location.

There's a lovely suitable spot in the engine compartment ideally located for the required cable runs.

Is there any reason NOT to mount it here. The only point of any relevance that I can think of is that the unit does require some ventilation. But the compartment obviously lets enough air in for the engine to "breath"

regards

Jimbouy.

fireball

Visit site
Only issues I can think of are:
Dirt in the engine compartment (oil/soot) that might get into the unit
Heat produced by the engine - might cook the components or cause early failure

Neither are definates - it depends on your engine and engine bay!

stretch33

Visit site
Hiya Jimbouy, Had exactly the same issue when l fitted mine, ended up putting in the engine compartment after looking at various other places, in the end it was the most practible place to put it, dry, easy access for cable runs etc. Mine seems to work/run fine and hasnt been a problem at all.
Phil

Anthony

Visit site
depends on heat, I have a 20A sterling, currently mounted under nav table in free air, and in summer will run the fan quite a bit if I have lots of lights on etc in marina, or just got back in, I wouldnt want to put it in an even warmer place.

Anthony

halcyon

Visit site
We supplied 1,000's to Sealine that were mounted in the engine bay without a problem.
The only thing to watch is if the unit runs hot under load, when you first turn the engine/engines off, the engine bay will be hot till they cool down. So if you have a fan cooled switch mode unit, you may have problems when you first tie up, and use a lot of power from the unit.

Brian

stretch33

Visit site
About the same distance, just about in a line with the gearbox, bolted to bulkhead to left of engine that forms side of quarterberth.

asteven221

Visit site
My charging system is fitted in the engine compartment of my Fairline. It is original equipment so they obviously think it's okay.

discovery2

Visit site
Mine (a Dolphn 20A charger) is also fitted in the engine compartment approx 18" from the engine. No problems, however an integrated fan runs continually when charging!

David