Channel Islands Ferries / Flights

Noddy

Visit site
I'm sailing to the Channel Islands for my summer cruise this year. It will be at the end of July. SWMBO will be with me for the trip. She will need to get back to the Southampton / Portsmouth area on about the 1st August.

Does anyone have experience of the ways of getting back for a single foot passenger.

Condor have just qouted me £98 for a 12 hour trip (£158 with cabin). Not only is that expensive but I would be in a lot of trouble when I finally get home.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Genie

Visit site
Hi Paul
Best way would be to fly from here to Southampton with FlyBe or Aurigny - the earlier you book it the cheaper it will be, esp as a one way ticket.
It should be cheaper than the ferry and also a lot quicker (about 25 mins to S/ton), so less waiting around.
If you do want to go by Ferry, there's only Condor (which some might suggest is the reason it's so expensive to get on/off this rock by boat!). /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
There is also Aurigny (local states owned airline) Aurigny.com who I actually prefer to flybe as they don't charge extra for luggage and your still get complimentary tea/biscuit (which FlyBe charges for.
Just had a look and Flybe are £96+charges for a typical date of 22 june whilst Aurigny are £75.
I'd get onto the Aurigny website quick if I were you, and you can always tell SWMBO that you've arranged tea + biccies for her in flight as a treat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck.
PM me if you need any other info.
Rob

Genie

Visit site
Paul
Just a quick point - if you go with Aurigny, ask which aircraft it is. If it's Trislander, they are small (fuselage is 2 people wide, approx 4-5ft!) and carry about a dozen people, which can scare some folk if they are a bit wary of flying.
The good news is that they are extremely reliable, but a bit noisy (the pilot will offer earplugs - no kidding!).
Bestaluck!

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Can you go further south than the CI's to St malo and get brittany ferries back to portsmouth. looks like foot passenger on 1st august is 50 ish squid . departs mid morning and arrives in portsmouth at 18.30 in the evening.

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
The Triandlanderher is a great plane, very comfy and the door between four makes boarding easy. The nickname 'flying coffin' is most unjust. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is scary is when pilots insist on achieveing the impossible and landing at Alderney! In my view that is the finest corner of our rich earth, best visited by boat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
[ QUOTE ]
... we don't offer ear plugs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, but I bet the pilot scheduled to land* at Alderney makes good use of ear plugs or headphones clamped firmly in place - so as to remain oblivious to the screams of the inocent passengers behind! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

* Land: Pitch and roll towards a tiny scrap of tarmac which is held in place by granite weights.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
[ QUOTE ]
In my view that is the finest corner of our rich earth, best visited by boat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ] but not if the wind has any north in it

Noddy

Visit site
Thankyou for your input guys. I will be following some of it up over the next few days.

SWMBO has a pilots licence so she should be able to keep the guy flying the plane under some sort of control.

Thanks again
Paul

Mudplugger

Visit site
No Chance! Just , cos Yvette is more qualified than you, does not mean to say she is more forceful ...much better suggestion...borrow aircraft let her fly out and back and won't cost you any beer vouchers!or you could convert your new genny and spare outboard into a microlight! think outside the box....other wise you would not have bought a cat....hth

Noddy

Visit site
Ho Ho Ho! Hello Tony,

I feel a 'plane' joke coming on.

As with Yvette's flying I guess you want to keep your hand in.

How are the fingers? Still fit up your nose??

Cheers
Paul

kengill

Visit site
Just wait until you've landed on a 200 metre strip hacked out of the jungle in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif a Twin Pioneer where the pilot had to include a 30 knot Down draft over the edge of the cliff at threshold.

The previous time to when I was on the flight the same pilot had mis-calculated and only got the front half of the fuselage onto the strip. The rear fuselage and tailplane ended up 300ft below at the bottom of the cliff!

Noddy

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Condor ferry was my first plan but we need to get to Portsmouth. (12 hours)

I have to confess to having stuffed a couple of Microlights in my time. But SWMBO (Spamcans) is accident free.

Better pilot than me then. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Other threads that may be of interest