Channel Island Pilot

romany123

Visit site
Seems to be lots out there. I usually end up buying more than one to get all the information that I want.... Any recommendations?
Thanks in anticipation

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave

DepSol

Visit site
I will be down on the boat tomorrow evening where I have my pilot book, I will give you the isbn number.

It is the one like Robsons but with photos not drawings.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dom

2003 is going to be a good year for me

romany123

Visit site
Dom
Thank you, Its quite a coincidence the boat I am buying is i think in your marina. I will send you a private message

peterb

Visit site
The one you're thinking of is "The Channel Islands", edited by Nick Heath, published by Imray Laurie Norie & Wilson. ISBN 0 85288 361 7.

Personally, I think that Robson's sketches are clearer than the photos in the RCC book; his sketches bring up the essential points of the marks. But I understand that some of Robson's transit lines can be a bit doubtful, so I carry both and use them together. Far and away better than any other CI pilots.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
A couple of points

Robsons was very good but we have seen through our own knowledge that a few of them take you through a few places and at the lower end of the tidal ranges you will end up hitting something which is not explained inthe book as he says it is clear at all tides.

The other book is up to date especially as some of the lanmarks Robson used are no longer there which could leave you in a tight spot in a 12 knot current.

To add to this items like the land reclamation at St Sampsons harbour has changed the tidal flows in the whole of this area therefore, the sand banks between Corbet and Herm between the rocks have built up and the depths are not truly reflected in the Admiralty charts. Even the Creux passage is slightly shallower than it used to be. Ok you have to be a nutter to go through that area without knowing it and I would no way recommend it to someone in a yacht but never the less there are so many changes since Robsons last edition I would not buy it any more or trust it all especially if you are a new comer to the CI.

Sorry but as I cover these areas regularly, I have the in depth knowledge that visitors don’t. I also go potting for lobsters in this area with a friend in his NAB17 and know it well enough to steer clear of it at most states of tide.

Col if you are reading this….this is the area I wanted to show next time you are over, its great fun @ 20 knots /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

romany123

Visit site
Dom
Thanks for the chat last night, it cleared up a few things for me. By the way the engine problem is sorted ,I think, Keith is going for a look see. Will order that book as soon as you send me the isbn number. Thanks for your comments.

DepSol

Visit site
Yeah spoke to Keith at lunch time and all is getting sorted.

All the best and see ya soon.

peterb

Visit site
I totally agree with your comments on the viability of some of Robson's passages. I choose my passages from the RCC pilot, but then look at the sketches in Robson to help in identifying the marks. Frequently I find the sketches clearer than the photographs. Even so, of course, you have to be aware of changes since Robson's day; comparing, for example, the Robson sketch of the Corbette beacon (transit 98) with the RCC photograph (transit H16A) you can see that there are distinct differences between the two beacons. It probably makes little difference to the passage, but it does help to point out the fact that navigational marks, even beacons mounted on rock, can change from time to time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DepSol

Visit site
true plus the addition of Roustel!

I see what you mean now as Robsons sketches used to leave out unimportant detail in the pictures and concentrate on the marks you need to see.