Channel Island Departure

richardbrennan

Visit site
I have seen in the past a table of ideal departure times for the Channel Islands. I thought this was on the Guernsey Yacht Club website, but it does not seem to be there now.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

Rick

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have seen in the past a table of ideal departure times for the Channel Islands. I thought this was on the Guernsey Yacht Club website, but it does not seem to be there now.

Many Thanks

Rick

When the tide suits, it will vary according to your point of departure, "time and tide wait for no man" but Reeds may be of some assistance, other tide tables are available.

guernseyman

Visit site
The essence is to arrive at the Alderney Race, between Alderney and Cap de la Hague, as the tide is turning in your favour.
Pick up a buoy or anchor in Alderney's Braye Harbour if you need to wait.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Many thanks for the responses, but the site I remember had suggested departure times for leaving Guernsey for Jersey for example.

johnalison

Visit site
I used to have, and may still have, a little booklet that the RCIYC used to hand out, much of which was devoted to the timing of departure for all the CI passages, including those to France. I would like to think that the same useful information is still available, preferably online.

guernseyman

Visit site
You're not very clear about what you want, but here is that advice about leaving Guernsey for Jersey (and return):

JERSEY
LOW WATER ST PP.
RETURN: 2 HOURS BEFORE HIGH WATER (ST HELIER) - TO GET IN
ACROSS THE SILL. (Best 1 hour after HW)

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I used to have, and may still have, a little booklet that the RCIYC used to hand out, much of which was devoted to the timing of departure for all the CI passages, including those to France. I would like to think that the same useful information is still available, preferably online.
I think this is the info you are thinking of:

Ile de Brehat:
1 hour before HW St PP to go East about Roches Douvres and Lezardrieux Barnouic.
Latest 1 hour after HW to go West about Roches Douvres.
Return: 1 hour before LW Lezardrieux 1 hour after LW Ile de Bréhat
(go NE through Plateau de Men marc'h because of 5 knots through Chenal de Bréhat)

Pontrieux: (from Lezardrieux) .
Leave at 2 hours before HW St Malo and the lock opens at HW St Malo.
One cannot be neaped here as there is always sufficient water.
Return: HW St Malo

Tréguier:
2 hours before HW St PP, West about Roches Douvres and use the flood up river to the port.
If late on the tide go SW to be uptide (4 knots at springs) to pass by basse crublent.
In Tréguier, try to get on the seaward side of the outside pontoon. At ½ tide the inside berths are very difficult to enter or leave.
Return: LW St.H.

Ploumanac'h:
Perros 2 hours before HW St PP. This avoids pushing tide at Les Sept Iles for the last 5 miles of the 55 miles passage and if passing 5 miles W of Roches Douvres gives good tidal help.
Return: one hour before LW Paimpol.

These ports are all within 12 hours sail of Guernsey and are based on an average of 5.5 knots boat speed.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site

Many Thanks

Rick

Here

https://www.gyc.org.gg/cruising/

Ideal Departure Times
Stan Cleal's list of recommended, optimum, departure times for leaving St Peter Port when heading for France or the other Channel Islands.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Glad the info is still out there.
I've always used it as a sanity check, but because I average more like 4.5 knots rather than the 5.5 they use I have to work out my own times, but it did give me the nudge to document my timings so as not to reinvent the wheel each time I made that passage.

BelleSerene

Visit site
https://files.meetup.com/15543052/Channel islands tidal Clock.jpg
bd87be92-0fcb-4488-98c4-291708804469