Changing the jackstays

KevinT1

Visit site
The reflective and anti abrasion capability look good and typical high quality build that we come to expect of Wichard, but the fixing method,whilst looking strong and preventing accidental release will preclude removing the jack stays.

UV and sunlight are the killers - Wichard give these a 5 year life. I only fit our jack stays ( 4 shackles ) when we are venturing out in strong winds or face the possibility of night sails. In effect this means they are fitted for the summer cruise and a few weekends per year.

Kevin

johnphilip

Visit site
The reflective and anti abrasion capability look good and typical high quality build that we come to expect of Wichard, but the fixing method,whilst looking strong and preventing accidental release will preclude removing the jack stays.

Kevin
How are these not as removable as yours are?

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
Interesting that the instructions show attaching using a larks foot. Tends to be avoided in climbing because it weakens the tape somewhat. I'm sure they know what they're doing though!

PS: Should add that a sailmaker once made some for us in Weymouth for little more that the cost of the tape. So if you're near a sail loft during the week, have the measurements ready and cash in your pocket... You do need to measure accurately though.

Last edited:

Aeolus

Visit site
Not sure of the value of the reflective material - surely everyone knows where their jackstays are (and clips on to them before leaving the cockpit when the conditions require)?.

johnalison

Visit site
Not had Wichard stays but having had both plastic coated round wire and Wichard style ones I would never fit round wire ones again, too easy for the wire to roll under foot.

Wire was a great advantage on our Sadler29 when rafted. It made the visitors much more cautious when walking across. Sadly, we never achieved a man overboard or broken limb.

prv

Visit site
Not had Wichard stays but having had both plastic coated round wire and Wichard style ones I would never fit round wire ones again, too easy for the wire to roll under foot.

I've thought of putting wire ones on Ariam, but they'd be stretched along the side of the cabin top rather than lying on deck. I'd have to engineer decent mountings for them though, so in the meantime it's webbing on the side-decks.

Pete

Aeolus

Visit site
I have 12mm polyester braid on braid along the cabin top - holds less dirt than the previous tape along the side decks and since they are closer to the centre line, much less risk of going over the side whilst clipped on.

SailingVet

Visit site
They're good if you intend to leave them rigged most/all of the time. The fitting takes a little while to set correctly and the cover is screwed on. As ours are attached to the mooring cleats (yes not ideal design Monsieur Jeanneau but I don't want to drill for more fittings) I had some made to length that we shackle at the front and lanyard at the back to tighten when needed.
Andy