Changing driveshaft bellows

zingaro

Visit site
Hi, I am trying to change the driveshaft bellows on my Volvo 290 outdrives, I have managed to change one with no problems but I am struggling to change the other one, I have removed the two bolts from the helmet which has the trim on it, I have put two bolts from the drive covers into it and tightened them up to try and push it out, which was the method I used on the other leg, but it just will not budge.

I have sprayed it with penetrating oil and left it a couple of days under load by leaving the bolts in from my covers screwed tightly up, but it will still not budge, it is though it has seized on the shaft it goes on, I have gently tried tapping it with a hammer, but obviously I am cautious as I would not like to break the aliminium helmet.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there another way round it, I was hoping to undo it so that I could push the helmet back, so that the trim gauge would not need recalibrating. I dont know if it would be wise to try to heat it up as part of the trim sensor that sits on the helmet is plastic. Greatful for any ideas.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Rock the drives side to side this can free the stub off or buy a cheap slide hammer from machine mart and weld a 1/4unc bolt to whatever you get to attach to the hammer . Also screw bolts in to stub and hit the steering hood around the bush that surrounds the stub , use a pry bar under good to free it , that should work . Lastly disconnect trim pins and drive support pins , lower drive with a trolley jack or similar , it will free off.

oldgit

Visit site
When you reassemble a liberal coating of grease everywhere will greatly help next time you do the job, pays to think ahead ...after all you will have the pleasure of doing the job again next year :)

zingaro

Visit site
Thanks for that Volvo Paul and Oldgit, I will certainly give that a try, last time I had them changed the marine engineer who did the work, took off the top part of the gearbox, splitting it from the lower gearbox as he said it was quicker and easier than trying to get the pins out, I presume that he never applied grease when he reassembled it, to the helmet.

The following day off him splitting the leg I noticed that I now had an oil leak, were he had joined the two gearboxs back together so had to get him out again and cancel my lift back into the water, so it begs the question is it a quicker way of doing it. The time before that, the engineer I used when I had the boat in Scotland took the legs off. We seem to be a bit short of engineers around Fleetwood area now, as the two known ones that I have used in the past have been banned from the marina by the marina manager.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Fatal not removing the pins at least every two years, top box removal is easy way to change bellow but it doesn't do a full service. Banned engineers doesn't sound like they have been doing a good job.