Chafe Protection Material

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m thinking (pretty much decided) of having a crack at making a stack pack. I’ve got the design sorted however I’d like to line the bulkiest part of the pack with a material which will prevent the canvas chafing and extend the life of the pack. I’ve seen various people refer to chafe protection material however when i draw a blank when i search or look on the usual websites.

The main pack will be uncoated Sunbrella/sauleda however what I am looking for is a bit less pliable, thicker and almost more “plasticky”.

Does anybody know what this material is called and who sells it?

Thank you 🙏

Martin_J

Visit site
You're right in realising that although those commonly used fabrics are great for UV resistance, they are less chafe resistant that some other fabrics.

Many do use them for stackpacks though and they do last for a fair few years.

Take a look at the link below for a few suggestions by Sailrite for a more chafe resistant fabric...

Selecting the Right Marine Cover Fabric

I have actually used Top Gun for a whole sprayhood in the past. It lasted very well indeed and the only reason I changed and made one out of Sauleda was because the Top Gun surface finish looked out of place amongst other sprayhoods.

Tranona

Visit site
Not sure there is much risk of chafe in a stack pack except at the edges of the slots for reefing lines if you have them. I have had 3 stack packs made by Kemps none of which had any reinforcing in the body. The latest one is made of Sauleda as is the spray hood and cockpit cover. PVC, again in Sauleda as in post#2 across the aft end of the sprayhood and around the winches and aft corners as can be see in the photo. Good luck with making your own. There is a lot of work both in getting the design right and making it, but therefore big savings using your own labour. Best not to skimp on materials and thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_140059.jpg
    IMG_20220930_140059.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 8

lustyd

Visit site
Mine is the PVC coated acrylic canvas for anti chafe and works well. This is also used for zipper stops and a few other bits and bobs. It’s waterproof though so use it sparingly as you want a bit of breathability in the main part of the pack.
I used Dacron strip for the section under the sail bolt rope it slides in nicely. I also used Dacron strip to hold the battens along the length of the pack.
Worth joining “sewing on boats (SOB)” on Facebook loads of good advice there.

Boathook

Visit site
My stack pack is made from Sunbrella or an equivalent and is 15+ years old. Where the reefing lines pass through it there is reinforcement from webbing tape. The bit round the mast has some double layers to add strength. I have had the main zip replaced a few years ago as the tail end flapped around and 'wore' out.
Big problem is the stitching going rotten by UV light. The sail maker used decent thread that lasted many years. One of my winter tasks is to check the stitching and renew as required, sometimes by hand or using a singer sewing machine. The machine struggles with 4 layers plus of material hence the hand occasional hand sewing.

Visit site
Thanks all for your responses. Looks like it’s the PVC stuff that’s most appropriate. I didn’t think it was that simple.

Appreciate the other tips too! Thank You