Cervantes Trophy

Muddy32

Visit site
Lots of retirements and what wind, it was forecast to drop earlier than it did. We had gusts to 35kts
We then lost the mizzen mast 2 miles down from Littlehampton and rtd, mind you a lot of folk went round the wrong mark there.
Any other good stories?

j80

Visit site
Any other good stories?
Not a good story as such - but did event in someone elses boat as a qualifier for Fastnet. Before we left Solent - trashed a headsail and lost a sail bag. 25+ hours in what were generally cold windy conditions. You mention the Littlehampton mark - for someone new to offshore after a long sabbatical - it was about the only time we were close to other boats in an around the cans scenario - as we got an overlap and it was exciting getting the gybe in tight with a load of other boats around. Our main instrument display packed up early on due to suspected electrical gremlins - but it was breezy near french coast at night with full main and a small jib - gusting 30+ knots? - the subsequent 18 mile beat in the v.early hours against choppy waves designed to test foul weather gear was character building. I thought if the Fastnet is going to be 5 days of this - cold,hot bunking,irregular sleep etc - its a serious project....however a few beers at the race finish and some food and a shower got us all in good spirits for the motor back to Solent. We left at 8pm sunday - sails all packed away and down below and about a couple of hours out of Le Havre - engine faltered but still ran - feathering prop. Luckily after reversing a bit it seemed to clear things - we think it was a lobster pot - but it was pitch black so were really none the wiser. If it had been terminal - unpacking and rigging sails in light winds on the nose would have been tedious. Anyway - there is always someone worse off - about same time as we had prop tangle incident - we noticed someone close to us sailing in towards finish - they must have had an eventful race - full points for perseverance! Anyway back at work - i have forgotten about the cold and fatigue - looking forward to Myth of Malham!

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
Not a good story as such - but did event in someone elses boat as a qualifier for Fastnet. Before we left Solent - trashed a headsail and lost a sail bag. 25+ hours in what were generally cold windy conditions. You mention the Littlehampton mark - for someone new to offshore after a long sabbatical - it was about the only time we were close to other boats in an around the cans scenario - as we got an overlap and it was exciting getting the gybe in tight with a load of other boats around. Our main instrument display packed up early on due to suspected electrical gremlins - but it was breezy near french coast at night with full main and a small jib - gusting 30+ knots? - the subsequent 18 mile beat in the v.early hours against choppy waves designed to test foul weather gear was character building. I thought if the Fastnet is going to be 5 days of this - cold,hot bunking,irregular sleep etc - its a serious project....however a few beers at the race finish and some food and a shower got us all in good spirits for the motor back to Solent. We left at 8pm sunday - sails all packed away and down below and about a couple of hours out of Le Havre - engine faltered but still ran - feathering prop. Luckily after reversing a bit it seemed to clear things - we think it was a lobster pot - but it was pitch black so were really none the wiser. If it had been terminal - unpacking and rigging sails in light winds on the nose would have been tedious. Anyway - there is always someone worse off - about same time as we had prop tangle incident - we noticed someone close to us sailing in towards finish - they must have had an eventful race - full points for perseverance! Anyway back at work - i have forgotten about the cold and fatigue - looking forward to Myth of Malham!

Thanks for the great reminder of why I am strictly a round the cans racer!

Redbeard

Visit site
No great stories as such, but that beat from Cussey to the A5 was grim. Coldest I've been for a long time. Everyone quite tired and irritable by the finish. Definitely a good teambuilding exercise!