Caution faulty VHF antennas

TonyMiles

N/A
Visit site
I recently bought a new VTronix combined VHF aerial and wind indicator and fitted it while my mast was down for rigging replacement.
I carefully fitted it according to the supplied instructions and then mounted the Hawk wind vane.
Shortly afterwards the whole antenna unit fell off its bracket - the plastic threaded base that bolts onto the bracket had sheared off!
When I put the 2 parts together, there were 2 holes within the thread opposite each other. One was 6mm wide and the opposing one 8mm wide.
I immediately rang Shakespeare electronics who make the item to be told that they had had some other instances of this and they immediately offered to send me a new replacement which they did without further question.
Had this not broken when it did but some time after my mast was re-installed this would have been a major problem, particularly as I would have probably lost the antenna itself and not been able to discover the faulty manufacture, not to mention the unwarranted cost of a replacement and its installation.
So if you are about to install one of these, please check very carefully the threaded base that bolts onto the bracket and make sure you have a solid intact one without any holes in it. Losing your aerial at sea later could have dire consequences.

Attachments

• Aerial 6mm side.jpg
    Aerial 6mm side.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Aerial 8mm side.jpg
    Aerial 8mm side.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Aerial hole through.jpg
    Aerial hole through.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 22

MADRIGAL

Visit site
My Shakespeare VHF antenna has a metal threaded base. I am surprised to learn that they make the Vtronix in plastic. As you suggest, the masthead is an inconvenient place for a fitting failure, especially as you couldn't know it had failed until it fell down.

Other threads that may be of interest