Caulking melting

tico

Visit site
Friend with a Sealine F37 has found that, in the recent hot weather, the caulking in the cockpit appears to be melting. Thus walking in , leaves black marks on one's feet as well as smearing across the teak - yuk!
Any experience of this or suggestions as for reasons or a cure??

julians

Visit site
yes, I had the same on my old windy.

The only solution (that I am aware of) is to scrape the old caulking out, re- caulk it and sand the teak. Not a small job.

ElJames

Visit site
I have just recalked mine same problem UV attacked or wrong type applied instead of using sikaflex I used stixal all from Tool station half the price and just as good only a better price took me 6 days on and off and to Finnish after sanding with 60 grit then 120 grit With SEMCO teak sealer I used Honey.my thoughts on teak oil it is good but as the oil seeps down makes the caulking let go P/S no rush for me I am 72

Last edited:

ashtead

Visit site
Was a common problem on early 2000 Bavaria yachts as I cut out our old sticky floor strips but I believe the original product was not sikaflex . I would replace that teak if worn with some Flexiteak or the diy equivalent as if it’s gone in one spot might continue elsewhere and cutting out sticky mastic products not a particular fun project.

bluetooth

Visit site
I think there was a rogue batch of Sikaflex caulking a few years ago that did this.
The only fix is to scrape it out and recaulk - or replace with plastic teak!!

In combination with the Wessex Cleaner product. I've see some Fairline Targas suffer with said scenario. Some much so i only clean my teak with fresh water now

hinch

Visit site
wait till it gets cooler and give it a light sand with an orbital and some 6o to 80 grit it'll clear it right up and then just wash / seal as normal

julians

Visit site
That may work or I’m my experience may not !
The faulty batch was just soft and sanding etc would not fix it. Give it a go and cross fingers.
yep agree, once it started to go soft it didnt matter how cool things got, it stayed soft and sticky, the only solution was to dig it out, replace it and re sand the deck