Carrying capacity

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Does anyone know what the carrying capacity of a 'Skipper 12' sailing dinghy is,
we have a new member who Says it is 4 but I have my doubts and think 2 but cannot find in any proof

Plum

Visit site
Does anyone know what the carrying capacity of a 'Skipper 12' sailing dinghy is,
we have a new member who Says it is 4 but I have my doubts and think 2 but cannot find in any proof
A small boat has limited load carrying ability before it runs out of freeboard so it all depends on the weight of the people. a quick google search shows that the immersion rate for Skipper 12 is about 35 kg/cm so 4 off 70Kg people would reduce your freeboard by 8cm. Probable Ok for rowing in calm water but very risky to set a sail,

dancrane

Visit site
I had a Skipper 12, twenty years ago. Sadly it was in London and I never had a chance to launch it. I did spend long enough fixing cracks and scratches to feel I knew the boat quite well.

I expect that used as a tender under oars or outboard, you could be lucky with four average-size adults aboard for many years without mishap.

It wouldn't be good for sailing with that payload, though.

As I recall, there's a lot of airspace between the hull mouldings so if, in extremis the cockpit was partially swamped while ferrying between shore and mothership, I doubt it would be a Mayday situation, just a damp start to the trip.

oldbloke

Visit site
I don't know how many people a Skipper can carry, but 4 people should be able to carry a Skipper, hopefully to the nearest landfill. Awful things even when new, they seem to have a cockroach like ability to survive

PeterV

Visit site
Skippers were made well before officials decided we couldn’t work out carrying capacity by common sense, so you will not find a definitive answer, only much later did dinghies start to carry plaques to tell you. 2 in rough water, 4 in flat water should be fine, 6 or even 8 if you’re playing by a beach in swimming trunks.
They were awful and most fill up with water between the mouldings so that will reduce the carrying capacity significantly.