CarolWildbird is #1 in the SOL world!

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
LOL.. I missed it.. the no 1 wave has passed me by, heading north- eastwards......

I did note that I was jet propelled - (perhaps a step up from island flying) - I gained about 540 miles in 3 minutes!

I wonder when the DTG will read properly. Quirks of great circle navigation

chrisgee

Visit site
I reckon I had your wave going the other way--went back from 60 to 829 in a few hours!! Perhaps it will be back again going my way. There are some real quirks in the positions though, boats not that far apart have positions 400 - 500 places different.
Loads of time for it to even out I guess ( jolini)

Carolwildbird

I may now be 736th... LOL.... but I'm in good company!!!!

sandwiched2.jpg

chrisgee

Visit site
I`ve done nothing special but have now come up 550 places!!! Come down here and join us in the South!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spyro

Visit site
Don't forget you still have to go round Cape horn. Have you used the measuring tool from Cape horn to your position?

Carolwildbird

Nooooo.. REALLY???? Cape Horn? I was hoping my wings might help me fly over south america!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(brain's rankings are based, I believe, on a different measuring algorithm and do go round the cape. They are very similar to google earth measures, via cape horn. The SOL rankings are bizarre- the tool shows me (at 200+ in SOL) just under 100 miles nearer the cape than mac who is lying 4th

Spyro

Visit site
However they measure it you are doing a lot better than me. The last 3 days have been the longest ever on SOL for me. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now though. All I need to do is stay off the green stuff during the night.

Carolwildbird

losing the will to live

You've missed so far!

My exalted position won't last -already dropping places in brain's rankings (but gaining them in SOl???).. lots of doldrums ahead.

I have to admit I'm losing the will to live.. (at least in the SOL virtual world). I try plugging in the positions and route options in into the free sailplanner software and I get different routing each time..- so I've sort of given up and am pointing WB down the great circle line, unless there's something very obvious.

Getting WB ready for "the big trip" is higher priority- de-moulding (as in removing green mould, not taking them off!) the teak decks today whilst the weather is fine.

Spyro

Visit site
Re: losing the will to live

Most pleased with my DC that I set last night but the light I saw at the end of the tunnel has faded fast the weather for my position for the next few days is crap. A few days ago it looked like my westerly position would be better now I just don't know. Thankfully I don't have routing software to confuse matters. Lets hope for a big change in the forecast.