Caribbean lockdown

Zing

Visit site
To be fair they island here doesnt have the facilities to monitor, manage and control individuals off yachts. They really dont have a choice other than blanket quarantine. There will be people who have been here a day and those that have been here a month all subject to the same rules. We were here five days before the rules were put in place. If they keep us quarantined for two weeks then let us go ashore then they know we are all virus free. We will see.
Supermarkets shelf were all well stocked, supply boat has been in and most yachty liveaboards have plenty of food onboard. As I said we can have food delivered
I just read Grenada got its first case today.

Dave100456

Visit site
Arrived last night into Florida after 850M dash from Puerto Rico in order to get to US mainland before any lockdown. Marinas here in West Palm Beach in lockdown so are local parks and majority of shops as from today. We’re happy at anchor but be aware, there are no berths in marinas for transients and diesel is only available to commercial vessels.
All we are short of is propane but off tomorrow to hunt some down.
Supermarkets have food but some shelves empty.
There are worst places to be and our thoughts go to those in not as fortunate position.

capnsensible

Visit site
Recent email from a friend in Antigua. He is anchored at Jolly Harbour. Main concern for cruisers is the annual migration back across the Atlantic that normally starts in a month or so. Doesnt leave much of a window until the start of June. They got some tough decisions coming.....like all of us.

I had a delivery booked from Guatemala. Probably put it off for a year.

geem

Visit site
We have the same dilema. We can stay here in Carriacou for now. reasonably safe from hurricanes and we can run south if there is a problem. However, we dont know how things will develop with regard to the virus here. If things improve at home then we may sail back across the Atlantic in May.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Barbados is still open for business - we currently have about 12 cruise ships here waiting for orders as to where they should proceed to next. 17 cases in total have been confirmed here, but none in the last couple of days.
All folk arriving by air as from yesterday have to do a 2 week quarantine (not too sure if this is voluntary or enforced). The same might apply to yachts, I am not sure.
Last flight out from here to the UK with BA is Thursday evening. An English pal is laying up his liveaboard yacht here and flying back on Wednesday night to be with his family.
None of the crew on the cruise ships here are allowed to go ashore. Not too sure if they are allowed to fly out or not.

geem

Visit site
Barbados is still open for business - we currently have about 12 cruise ships here waiting for orders as to where they should proceed to next. 17 cases in total have been confirmed here, but none in the last couple of days.
All folk arriving by air as from yesterday have to do a 2 week quarantine (not too sure if this is voluntary or enforced). The same might apply to yachts, I am not sure.
Last flight out from here to the UK with BA is Thursday evening. An English pal is laying up his liveaboard yacht here and flying back on Wednesday night to be with his family.
None of the crew on the cruise ships here are allowed to go ashore. Not too sure if they are allowed to fly out or not.
We have French friends there on a yacht who are waiting for a new Doyle mainsail to be made. They are hoping it will be finished this week so they can go to Martinique.

Resolution

Visit site
Hum, a fair bit of Just Hoping ... I think somewhat Draconian actions are being taken on flimsy data. The only place where real testing happened was a cruise ship of oldies, 20% showed the virus and 1% of them died. Wooh. Sounds like flu to me. Easier to govern people if you tellem to all stay home, police and educators will also be in favour. Data collectors are encouraged to find as many cases as possible. China, Italy, Iran don’t feel reliable data sources, not really. 3,000 people a day die from suicides, 3,000 from traffic accidents, 2,000 from falling over. Shamdemic.
This sad post was just 12 days ago. I wonder if T21's views have changed yet?

Trident

Visit site
This sad post was just 12 days ago. I wonder if T21's views have changed yet?
Its seems unlikely - looking in to the data so far, sad as it is, almost everyone who has died would literally have been dead within days or weeks anyway. My otherwise fit 98 year old great aunt has just returned home as the oldest survivor in the UK and her 70 year old fit, but with type one diabetes daughter didn't even need to go in to hospital - just felt very weak. I know may are alarmed by constant news of higher figures but please try to remember that in the UK there are around half a million deaths every year - so about 40,000 a month and of the 1000 odd C19 deaths in the last month most would have died in that month anyway. I am not trying to justify calling this a shamdemic or condone people going out to parties during lock down etc but I feel may people are being genuinely scared by ever increasing figures that do not represent the truth of the situation. Looking at all the published figures to die you need to be old and have at least one but preferably two or three co-morbidities. Its of course still sad and people may feel an extra day or week or month of life even for the very ill and elderly is a precious thing but in terms of the real absolute health of the nation as a whole this is not a big deal at all. I suspect that if governments had just covered it up and never revealed C19 existed, no one would have noticed what so ever except to say that bout of flu I had last week was a bit rough

38mess

Visit site
Pretty much believe we had it just after Xmas and into the new year. My business has mostly Chinese clientele. Of course I would shake hands with many people throughout the day. So over Xmas I had something,' different' felt pretty ill then had a breathless night and a hacking cough for a few days, very dry with no phlegm.
My partner had it in January, her cough was worse, one night I almost called the ambulance because of her shortness of breath but she told me not to be so silly.

She found she could breathe easier in a steamy shower, so I bought a steam inhaler which worked wonders for her.
So it makes me wonder if the virus was in the UK a month to six weeks before the official start date.

nortada

Visit site
Pretty much believe we had it just after Xmas and into the new year. My business has mostly Chinese clientele. Of course I would shake hands with many people throughout the day. So over Xmas I had something,' different' felt pretty ill then had a breathless night and a hacking cough for a few days, very dry with no phlegm.
My partner had it in January, her cough was worse, one night I almost called the ambulance because of her shortness of breath but she told me not to be so silly.

She found she could breathe easier in a steamy shower, so I bought a steam inhaler which worked wonders for her.
So it makes me wonder if the virus was in the UK a month to six weeks before the official start date.

Interesting.

During Dec/Jan/Feb Lagos (Portugal) experienced a prolific infection, which exhibited the Covid 19 symptoms, not many died but we are a fairly young, healthy community (from experience, most ex-pats go home to die). From personal experience, very nasty❗️ We have a large Chinese community so folk are wondering if many of us already have herd immunity❓

Hopefully, the soon to be available test, will establish this. See that Germany is to issue passes to those who have recovered or appear to have short term immunity.

capnsensible

Visit site
Sorry to interrupt.

My contact on his yacht in Trinidad has just emailed to say lockdown there has started today.

His yacht (liveaboard) is out on the Hard. Nearby grocery shops staying open.

Lets hope globally, no more young, fit medical staff and nurses pass from this pandemic.

Stay safe!

Zing

Visit site
I spoke today to friends in Antigua. All non essential businesses are shut. A night hours curfew is in place. All flights stopped. Yacht arrivals are not permitted. Most yachties are congregating in the Jolly harbour anchorage, which is very busy. The government has a food voucher system for those with no money for food starting end April. All regattas cancelled.

Resolution

Visit site
I spoke today to friends in Antigua. All non essential businesses are shut. A night hours curfew is in place. All flights stopped. Yacht arrivals are not permitted. Most yachties are congregating in the Jolly harbour anchorage, which is very busy. The government has a food voucher system for those with no money for food starting end April. All regattas cancelled.
Aaah Antigua. We were due to be flying out this Friday to join a friend on his lovely lovely yacht. We had been looking forward to a sunshine break from the winter blues so much. He is still there, sitting it out. Don't know what happens if the virus is still running when the hurricane season starts.?

Zing

Visit site
Our friend sat outside Jolly Harbour has been fed up with the ammount its been raining recently! :)
Yes, it’s a bit of a rain magnet area. An interesting thing, because it should be a rain shadow, but it works the other way round in many Caribbean islands.

geem

Visit site
Yes, it’s a bit of a rain magnet area. An interesting thing, because it should be a rain shadow, but it works the other way round in many Caribbean islands.
We have quite a few friends in Antigua. The government were handing out seeds and plants to locals. The rain will be handy for those planting seeds. We understand the idea is to grow your own food. What happens when the containers of food stop arriving from Miami. The supply chain is fragile in the islands.

Zing

Visit site
We have quite a few friends in Antigua. The government were handing out seeds and plants to locals. The rain will be handy for those planting seeds. We understand the idea is to grow your own food. What happens when the containers of food stop arriving from Miami. The supply chain is fragile in the islands.
The food containers from Miami are on a long cycle. What they get this week was ordered 6 weeks ago. If there is panic buying and hoarding some people will not be able to buy food for a long while. Miami’s is one of the worst infected areas, who knows what disruption they will have. Then there is the economic issue. The people have no income now and the government has no money and has a notorious habit of paying its wages very late. Almost no welfare too. So couple no income and no food and fear of each other because of the disease and desperation then you have potentially big problems.