cardiff bay - why didnt you race today?

Blue_Pearl

Visit site
So what happened? Did you race?

I forgot that the Saturday night before the race was our club annual dinner dance ........ needless to say a few too many wines were forced upon me ....... getting up early and heading west into the F5/6 westerly wasn't top of the agenda !

Did you race ? What were the conditions like over there, and what was the course (for reference only, just to see what a typical cbyc race is like)

We raced here last Saturday, but the wind sucked (6kts at the start - too much downwind in the course to make the handicap work. Only 68 seconds separated the first 4 boats after corrections though over an hour long race.

zlod

Visit site
I didn't race on the Sunday, but....

The wind was probably a southerly and something like an F5/6 gusting F7. The sea state between Cardiff and Portishead was actually pretty benign considering what it could have been like (well it was sort of benign if you were on a beam reach). The heavy rain and light westerly at about 2pm was sort of cold, but also kind of soothing.

The shame about Saturday is that it would probably have been a really nice day to sail west (into the wind). There was enough wind to tank along quite nicely, especially with the tide going into the wind. It's days like those though that are a real pain to be sailing downwind, wind with tide.

Visit site
I forgot that the Saturday night before the race was our club annual dinner dance ........ needless to say a few too many wines were forced upon me ....... getting up early and heading west into the F5/6 westerly wasn't top of the agenda !

Did you race ? What were the conditions like over there, and what was the course (for reference only, just to see what a typical cbyc race is like)

We raced here last Saturday, but the wind sucked (6kts at the start - too much downwind in the course to make the handicap work. Only 68 seconds separated the first 4 boats after corrections though over an hour long race.

No - we've missed the first two races. No 1 because the forecast was gusts to 45kn and I didnt see the point in risking boat damage. No 2 because I was away on hols. Planning on doing no 3 this weekend though I don't expect us to do at all well.

P.S. Just seen your question about courses. Those outside the bay are always round the various navigation marks, starting and finishing at the Penarth yacht club line. Obviously they vary according to tide time and wind direction - the normal OD is very good at doing that IMO. And the courses are longer for the fast boats like you than they used to be for me. But a typical short course from last season was PYC start, outer wrach buoy to stbd, cardiff north to stbd, cardiff mid to stbd, outer wrach to port, cardiff spit buoy to stbd, line. A longer race was PYC start, ranie to stbd, merkur to port, west culver to port lavernock spit to starboard, line.

Last edited: