CARD Collision Avoidance Radar Detector

multihullsailor6

Visit site
I would like to buy a CARD Collision Avoidance Radar Detector unit but fail to find any supplier. This unit is/was called CARD in the US, the French had the same piece of equipment but the French name escapes me.

Can anybody here point me in the right direction - many thanks.

Ric

Visit site
The French version was called Mer-Veille - a pun on "Sea-Watch" and "Marvel".

The reason you are struggling to find a supplier is that their functionality has been greatly surpassed by AIS.

They are only of any use on small boats with very limited electrical power and when well offshore. In coastal waters there are so many radar signals that it will never stop beeping.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
They are only of any use on small boats with very limited electrical power and when well offshore. In coastal waters there are so many radar signals that it will never stop beeping.

I had one of these, but removed it and sold it to another forumite. As far as I could see it worked OK, but, as you say, it was not easy to use in inshore waters. The sensitivity had to be adjusted constantly to eliminate spurious signals reflected from land and buildings.

The idea is good, but the CARD implementation is just a bit crude. I prefer the AIS I now have.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Thanks for the update to my French, you're absolutely correct. You're also correct on its use but I still think it could come in useful for offshore use as still not all fishing boats or sailing yachts have AIS.

http://nordkyndesign.com/collision-avoidance-at-sea-ais-alarm-project/ This link is to a review by a chap who looked at the CARD system and identifies the major flaw in your thoughts, which is that the majority of yachts and fishing boats you're seeking to spot won't be using their radar even if fitted. In addition, the CARD system works best with the higher powered S band systems fitted to larger vessels and does less well with the common small vessel systems operating in the X band. Finally, the article points out that the system hasn't been made for some years as the inventor/maker died and the impetus to keep producing the product died with him.

multihullsailor6

Visit site
I'm looking for a fairly cost-effective way of guarding me and my boat offshore on a dark night against the odd fishing boat without AIS. Even if my AIS (transponder) screen tells me there are no AIS ships within say 20M there is always the chance of the fishing boat being there who, in my experience, have their radar on all the time. At the speeds we sometime go an early warning system might be a good idea, especially for single-handers like me.

GHA

Visit site
there is always the chance of the fishing boat being there who, in my experience, have their radar on all the time.
Your sig says Malta, how do you know fishing boats on a dark night around there have radar at all, or turned on if they do?

Save up and get a real radar, next to wind vane steering they are a single handers best friend. :cool:

Ric

Visit site
OK, for the specific scenario of early warning of fishing boats while small boat single-handing in the Med, I agree that the Mer-Vielle might be useful if you do not have the spare cash and spare electricity to fit and run radar.

It is still possible to buy them from Uship in France and direct from the manufacturer for €367.

http://www.uship.fr/detecteur-de-radar-mer-veille-art_fr_125.html

However, be aware of their limitations. They are only really any good once you are about 20m offshore and away from the radar clutter of all the coastal mobos who drive around in broad daylight CAVOK with their radars turning.

But if you are single-handing and in need of some sleep on a long passage, then yes, it will warn you if there is a radar using boat nearby. I would also agree that most offshore fishing boats do have and use radar, partly because they like to keep an eye on the whereabouts of rival or friendly competitors, and partly because they are wary of single-handed yachts running into their nets at night. Before I had radar and AIS on my own boat, I used to quite often get VHF calls from med trawlers at night if I was heading towards them.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi Multihullsailor6
And OP's.
On my simple stand alone radar Furuno 1623, there is a Guard Zone function and I think also perhaps range rings may be programmed.I seldom have had to use radar,but twice was very glad of even the most basic of radars.
As far as I can remember from the manual,the radar,in guard mode,only sweeps at extended periods,thus saving battery drain.
Perhaps this approach would suit your usage pattern?
Others will have better knowledge of the use of radar in more professional situations,and it would be worth taking further advice from these peeps,once their Christmas Pudding has been fully absorbed!

macd

Visit site
As far as I can remember from the manual,the radar,in guard mode,only sweeps at extended periods,thus saving battery drain.
Perhaps this approach would suit your usage pattern?

On the sets I've used, guard zone and intermittent (power saver) modes were quite distinct: they could be used at the same time if desired, but didn't need to be.
The current set has no intermittent facility, but then it only draws 1.5A, so there's no need for power-saving.

RobbieW

Visit site
OK, for the specific scenario of early warning of fishing boats while small boat single-handing in the Med, I agree that the Mer-Vielle might be useful if you do not have the spare cash and spare electricity to fit and run radar.

It is still possible to buy them from Uship in France and direct from the manufacturer for €367.

http://www.uship.fr/detecteur-de-radar-mer-veille-art_fr_125.html

However, be aware of their limitations. They are only really any good once you are about 20m offshore and away from the radar clutter of all the coastal mobos who drive around in broad daylight CAVOK with their radars turning.

But if you are single-handing and in need of some sleep on a long passage, then yes, it will warn you if there is a radar using boat nearby. I would also agree that most offshore fishing boats do have and use radar, partly because they like to keep an eye on the whereabouts of rival or friendly competitors, and partly because they are wary of single-handed yachts running into their nets at night. Before I had radar and AIS on my own boat, I used to quite often get VHF calls from med trawlers at night if I was heading towards them.

At a higher price point the SeaMe RTE (dual band) has a buzzer that can be turned on to sound when receiving a radar transmission. In practice you have to be a long way from any traffic for it to be quiet. I used one from the UK to the Canaries, it didnt stop receiving signals till we were a couple of days out of Lagos on the Algarve. In the Med I've never seen my RTE quiesce.

RupertW

Visit site
We used CARD in the mid 90s and it was an expensive but effective way of keeping us out of the weather when doing long Western approaches or Biscay crossings away from shipping lanes, so the on-watch person could pop their heads up every 15 minutes, or when CARD showed a signal or direction. For coasts or shipping lanes it was back to normal on-deck watch.

Radars are so much cheaper and less power intensive now then an AIS/Radar solution would be the way I would go.

jamesrichy

Visit site
Here in BC there are many, many boats without AIS transmitters, especially fishing boats which in Canada are not required to have them. So AIS may provide a false sense of security. Still, they are a useful addition if you don't rely exclusively on it.
On the other hand, they all have radar, and in the fog they have it on. I have no problem picking them up in the fog with my CARD. A wonderful device if you know its limitations.
The French device is reportedly much better, and definitely still available as of July 2018. I plan to replace my 17 year old CARD device with the French version.
I keep a watch, and ring a fog bell. Don't trust your life to an electronic gadget, not even radar.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Personally I think the near aid you can get regarding fog , is a radar,
you eye isn't going to pick anything up until it's much to late ,
AIS is only good if someone is transmitting?
CARD is fine if the other vessels has a radar.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Personally I think the near aid you can get regarding fog , is a radar,
you eye isn't going to pick anything up until it's much to late ,
AIS is only good if someone is transmitting?
CARD is fine if the other vessels has a radar.

I agree. I would not have known, before I had one.

The usual proviso with using radar for collision avoidance applies - you do need to keep a plot, either using MARPA or manually.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest