cant decide????

manish

Visit site
i have hit a bit of a dilema. i cant decide what to get for my first boat a folk boat or a corribee. i have looked into the pros and cons of both but still cant come to a decision. i would be doing almost all my sailing on the west cost of scotland with the odd trip up to the hebridees with her indoors. any help and advice would go down very well. many thanks guys (and girls). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

markpageant

Visit site
corib is easy and cheap to look after. A safe boat which will see you fine. Parts no prob, plenty of current advice available and its not wooden so more time sailing less time worrying.

manish

Visit site
just wondering how much trouble can a wooden one get??? all the giys in the classic boat forum love the things?

Dyflin

Visit site
For that kind of money it has got to be a corribee, you'll get a good little boat for that sum. Also worth considering a hurley 22, another great little sea boat (may be more money though?).

doug748

Visit site
I agree with Twister Ken re the Folkboat but you will not get a plastic one within your budget. With a wooden boat you might find all your leave given over to maintaining it. Maybe better to look for a sound Corribee?

Dyflin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just wondering how much trouble can a wooden one get???

[/ QUOTE ]

A rule of thumb I once heard that many seemed to agree on was two hours of maintenance for every hour of use. Still interested?

manish

Visit site
what about the seaworthyness of the two. what one would be better to handle when the brown stuff hits the fan and im behind the fan??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Spuddy

Visit site
Isn't the Corribee a scaled down version of a folkboat ? If so then Corribee will be slower and longer on passage. A Contessa ( basically a plastic F'boat hull shape) went for £4K down here but a v quick sale needed and in neglected condition - generally all the clones that Ken mentioned plus Halcyon go for 2 or 3 times that.
Wooden folkboat would be in budget - aquaintance got one for £1600 but sails were very, very tired, the deck leaked, the engine was one of those Dolphins that have to be stopped to go in reverse ( so convenient ) and then the next year the wooden mast broke. So, better to spend a bit more on something less at risk of major works - it will be cheaper in the end and I speak from personal, expensive experience.
Sail plan for proper Folkboat is different from the grp similars but they should all sail like thoroughbreds, every wave will end up in the cockpit and room below is limited. Choice might depend on the memsahb's priorities. Good luck and remember that looking around is cheap and a pastime in itself.

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just wondering how much trouble can a wooden one get??? all the giys in the classic boat forum love the things?

[/ QUOTE ]

They love pottering about with them, painting, repairing etc. If its sailing you enjoy rather than diy, go plastic.

Leighb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
engine was one of those Dolphins that have to be stopped to go in reverse ( so convenient )

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend told me that the Dolphin was designed by an engineer whose wife had run off with a yachtsman /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Billjratt

Visit site
Corribee for me, I had a finkeeler which sailed well on the west coast and Clyde. Not complex, mast up-down single handed, economical - especially if you get a road trailer thrown in. Look for one with the rudder skeg fitted if given a choice. Also there is a terrific variation in finish quality as some were sold as home completion kits. If you're good with a saw, you might pick up such a boat that needs re-done - for a song. Take a good look at the deckhead wooden fillets under the mast, fat bu@@ers on deck can fracture them. I fitted a wee compression post which stabilised the headroom measurement. The folkboats can be a bit of a lottery, I seem to remember that East German built boats had lots of rib problems, and you are talking a labour of love with any wooden boat ( had a couple of them as well...) If you win the pools, then the marieholm looks a cracker.