Can you recommend harbours on the ne coast to visit in a small boat?

steve yates

Visit site
Ne Scotland that is!
If I get round cape wrath this trip, the plan is to visit the Orkneys and make my way down to Inverness for the canal back to the west coast.
The pilot talks about lots of small harbours not mentioned in the book, for small boats.
Anyone know of good ones to visit! Preferably with a pub close by.

18ft lifting stub keel drawing 1m with keel down and 40cm with it up. Can dry out, stays level on soft mud, cants at a slight but bearable angle on hard sand.

I really like tying up to quays, piers and town walls instead of pontoons, but I wouldn't spurn a pontoon :)

Thank you.

Even Chance

Visit site
Lots....
John O Groats, Wick, Lybster, Helmsdale, Cromarty, all non-drying as you head South. Then there are the smaller drying out harbours in between, some with depth at low-water at the end of the piers. The choice is huge.
The Moray Firth is full of wee fishing harbours, and if your prepared to lift the keel, then they are all at your disposal.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Lots....
John O Groats, Wick, Lybster, Helmsdale, Cromarty, all non-drying as you head South. Then there are the smaller drying out harbours in between, some with depth at low-water at the end of the piers. The choice is huge.
The Moray Firth is full of wee fishing harbours, and if your prepared to lift the keel, then they are all at your disposal.

the Moray firth is a fantastic place to sail

clear water, lovely sand harbours, great harbours, hardly any rain and easily the sunniest part of scotland

v cheap places to leave a boat too

Nairn is as cheap as chips

D

Even Chance

Visit site
the Moray firth is a fantastic place to sail

clear water, lovely sand harbours, great harbours, hardly any rain and easily the sunniest part of scotland

v cheap places to leave a boat too

Nairn is as cheap as chips

D

You planning more Furray Mirth sailing in the future Dylan? Be nice to see you in this neck of the woods again.

pagoda

Visit site
Wick was very friendly- Lybster was an option but not with F5 SE. On the south side Visited Lossiemouth and Macduff. Macduff is not yacht oriented but they were happy with me rafting up . Banff has a slight restriction at LW so we bailed out for Macduff. For boats which can dry out there is plenty of choice.

jamie N

Visit site
Fortrose. The very best pub for beer in the UK, which was found after 45 years, of enthusiastic, but often troubled searches!

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Thanks Sgeirr, how was your cruise?

After the delivery passage from Portsmouth to Linnhe Marine, we had some family and work commitments that seemed to interfere with our local cruising ambitions. And then there was the weather....

So, apart from a fine sail to Carbost, Loch Harport in Skye for a slightly boozy hand-knitted music session (and a lovely overnight ⚓ in Sanna Bay, Ardnamurchan on the return passage), there's not much to say.

Our plans for Jura and Islay were disrupted by weather, so we called in at Puilladobhrain and had a pint with Webcraft in the T'n'T'. Trip to the Small Isles, again weather affected so we sat out gales in Loch Aline. Oh, and going around Mull, we nearly got to Cailleach Point before retreating back to Tobermory in another developing gale.

This season, we've sat out gales or near-gales in Falmouth, Lambay Island, Tobermory, Loch na Droma Buidhe, Puilladobhrain and Loch Aline - which is why I have been so impressed by your endeavours in a much smaller boat! ;)

steve yates

Visit site
Thanks all, latest forecast now has winds in ne/e and se from tue till the weekend, all on the nose, and all against the swell and tides rapidly appproaching springs, for where I want to go, so sadly it looks like I have to give going round the top a miss. On the other hand, they are perfect to carry me across the north minch to stornoway from klb, and then take me down the outer hebrides and back across to the small isles or tiree, all places I wanted to go on the way up but winds said no :)

Of course, it will be tuesdays forecast that dictates my final course.

dunedin

Visit site
Thanks all, latest forecast now has winds in ne/e and se from tue till the weekend, all on the nose, and all against the swell and tides rapidly appproaching springs, for where I want to go, so sadly it looks like I have to give going round the top a miss. On the other hand, they are perfect to carry me across the north minch to stornoway from klb, and then take me down the outer hebrides and back across to the small isles or tiree, all places I wanted to go on the way up but winds said no :)

Of course, it will be tuesdays forecast that dictates my final course.

Smart call. Would not be fun against the weather up there (we waited nearly 2 months for a suitable weather window earlier this year, in a much bigger boat).
And your Plan B is a fantastic fallback. Stornoway was great, really friendly folk in the marina? And loads of superb anchorages to choose from from there southwards, some only a couple of miles apart. Enjoy!

Impaler

Visit site
Drop into Portsoy, it's a lovely old harbour that dries out, nice pub too. Findhorn has two great pubs but the entrance to the bay can be tricky, best approached on a rising tide. Banff is great but I'm biased as I am based there.

I might detour to whitehills, even though it's south of Inverness, just because I have a pal there whose an excellent drinking buddy :)

Thanks Sgeirr, how was your cruise?

steve yates

Visit site
I'll come back to all these pub and harbour recommendations next season if I get up there :)

Quite a bit has happened since and I may find myself on the east coast for this winter and maybe longer,

I'll post a full update on the trip when I have time to get the pics edited and can stick them up too.

Life is currently taking over at the moment!