Can you recommend a sunny Med location for a wedding?

Tony Cross

Visit site
It is do able Tony! We got married on Kefalonia many years ago, we did it ourselves, you have to have official translations of everything! it cost us £400 for all the translations. we handed everything in at the local town hall, they said, you will be married at 7 oclock in the afternoon, a week later, everything was laid on, we tied the knot and got pelted with sugared almonds. there are quite a few small companies that organize everything for you now (at a cost).

I didn't say it was impossible, I simply pointed out that Med bureaucracy (and I deal with Greek bureaucracy often) can be a nightmare. Some close sailing friends got married here on Crete a few years ago and dealing with the bureaucracy was the most difficult part of the whole occasion. For people not used to the way things work in the Med it might prove to be overwhelming.

Davy_S

Visit site
I didn't say it was impossible, I simply pointed out that Med bureaucracy (and I deal with Greek bureaucracy often) can be a nightmare. Some close sailing friends got married here on Crete a few years ago and dealing with the bureaucracy was the most difficult part of the whole occasion. For people not used to the way things work in the Med it might prove to be overwhelming.
It was 20 years ago when we did it, but after living out there for the last 10 years we know all about Greek bureaucracy!:rolleyes:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Not in the Med but just as nice and warm, the Algarve. Spoke to a couple on a flight one time who were getting married there, said they were saving £12k compared to UK wedding but don't know how many guests were involved for the reception.

boatsuwena

www.suwena.net
Had a wedding in Venice 10 years ago. Maybe not the cheapest city but all arrangements were top notch and done by http://veniceweddingplanner.com like music, reception, hair, flowers, photographer, gondola, common lunch for guests, etc. Everything came out just perfect.

You'll need an official translator as the wows will be in Italian and translated under the oath by translator as spoken out. Marriage certificate is also in Italian and needs to be translated by certified translator. It takes about three month to get marriage registered in your home country. All procedures are rather easy as Iong as it is within EU.

macd

Visit site
All procedures are rather easy as Iong as it is within EU.

If you're suggesting that common procedures apply throughout the EU, that's very far from the case. Denmark is one of the easiest places on Earth to get married (if a little lacking in the sunshine and glorious vistas the OP desires). Greece (for a foreigner) very much isn't. Italy I wouldn't know about.

smb

Visit site
My nephew did the deed in Ravello this summer. Just up the hill from Amalfi.

The whole thing as i understand was organised by Sylvia Di Pasquale, [silvia@bellissimowedding.com]

The real sting in the tail is we sailed by there only 12 months earlier. Salerno marina is not far.

Steve

artemis07

Visit site
A few years ago my niece had her wedding in Nocello which is a few miles along the coast from Ravello above (literally) Positano.

It is a small village with a few b&bs and restaurants with MAGNIFICENT views of the Amalfi coast, but at sensible prices.

Worth considering.

mixmaster

Visit site
I got married in Villefranche. Seems to tick all the boxes. We had our ceremony in the citadel right over the bay. Years later we sailed back and anchored just off it!

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
My nephew did the deed in Ravello this summer. Just up the hill from Amalfi.

The whole thing as i understand was organised by Sylvia Di Pasquale, [silvia@bellissimowedding.com]

The real sting in the tail is we sailed by there only 12 months earlier. Salerno marina is not far.

Steve

I was going to suggest Ravello too, but was loathe to share it.

In particular, the gardens of Villa Cimbrone. Wagner went there to compose, and I'm just surprised that he ever left. Stay at the Palumbo. Equally memorable.

tcm

Visit site
In Ibiza I saw a wedding in the open air, high on a cliff overlooking the sea above an anchorage. I could see summing going on and hummmmm binoculars and eventually we all agreed that it was a wedding. And so when it finished i give them a loads of waaaaah with an air horn and that went very well for all the wedding guests on the cliff top. haha

Old Thady

Visit site
Regarding the legal aspect. Would it be possible to have the ceremony in the place of your choice but not sign any paperwork? You could have a quick and simple civil wedding upon return to the UK. This way you would still be 'getting married' on the big day but would avoid any problems or expenses resulting from foreign documents.
In many countries this is what happens as a matter of course as the religious and civil aspects of nuptials are kept completely separate.

Palarran

Visit site
I don't know if anyone has said it yet, but on the south side of Kos near the west end is a small church on an island. It's awesome and would be possible to get the wedding party to. You can find on Google Earth. That's my daughters spot :encouragement: