Can you recommend a sunny Med location for a wedding?

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
My daughter is beginning to plan her wedding sometime in 2018.

She likes the idea of getting married in a place with
- Spectacular views
- Near the water
- Can accommodate 50-70 guests including children

If we can keep the boat nearby = so much the better.

The choice is intimidatingly vast so any recommendations gratefully received

OldBawley

Visit site
I am currently anchored next to this island. Used a lot for weddings, baptising.
Guests and priest arrive with water taxi from Poros. Lots of big family taverna´s on Poros island.
One thing : Orthodox.

macd

Visit site
Plenty of suitable and very lovely places in Greece for such an adventure. But beware, the paperwork is truly Byzantine.
That being so, probably best to have someone local to guide you through the process and arrangements. If you care to PM me I can put you in touch with someone recommended in Crete, but there are obviously plenty of other places.

(If I remember correctly from one of Old Bawley's past threads, getting buried there is even more difficult. Glad to see he doesn't need it yet.)

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
I've been to three Greek weddings.
Wherever you decide to hold it needs to have good communications with the UK and probably Athens.
That rules out truly delightful places like Astypalea or Skyros.

My wife's nephew had his nuptials confirmed @ Fiskardo - can't guarantee the sun but folk there are extremely welcoming and the whole arrangements can be taken off your hands.
I can find out the name/address/e-mail of the girl who arranges it - she's English, her husband plays the Bazouki in the wedding band.

The English version is, thank goodness much quieter and less exhausting than the truly Greek ones. Those start one morning @ the bride's house and carry on for two days with no cessation until the happy couple are seen into their own house.

If you're really interested send me a personal e-mail and I'll dig out the facts from Kephalonia.
The cost are not low - between €35 -€80 a head and that excludes accomodation.

Sybarite

Visit site
My daughter is beginning to plan her wedding sometime in 2018.

She likes the idea of getting married in a place with
- Spectacular views
- Near the water
- Can accommodate 50-70 guests including children

If we can keep the boat nearby = so much the better.

The choice is intimidatingly vast so any recommendations gratefully received

I was at a wedding at Blanes about 65 km north of Barcelona this summer. It was held in a former convent on a promontory over looking the Med. The views were spectacular. The wedding itself was held in the gardens which had pine treees and hydrangeas everywhere. It could not have been more idyllic. a buffet was held in the garden and then dinner inside the convent itself. Needless to say the catering was out of this world!

http://www.el-convent.com/en.html

The hosts then provided a catamaran trip (22.5m licensed for 97 passengers...) the following day. A few miles up the coast, ancho,r swims, barbeque and then back). The marina is just below the abbey.

https://www.getmyboat.com/boat-rentals/catamaran-sensation-charter-in-catalan-coast--26114

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
That Blanes monastery sure looks nice, and Spanish food... mjum.
Thank God I don´t have daughters, a wedding at a place like that would ruin me. Probably cost more than a new sail.

PlanB

Visit site
If you are at the western end of the Costa del Sol, Gib is a popular option for straightforward civil weddings, followed by a wide choice of nearby Spanish reception venues.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Plenty of suitable and very lovely places in Greece for such an adventure. But beware, the paperwork is truly Byzantine.
That being so, probably best to have someone local to guide you through the process and arrangements. If you care to PM me I can put you in touch with someone recommended in Crete, but there are obviously plenty of other places.

(If I remember correctly from one of Old Bawley's past threads, getting buried there is even more difficult. Glad to see he doesn't need it yet.)

I would think the paperwork and relevant permissions etc. are going to be a nightmare anywhere in the Med. It would probably be best to marry in a simple civil ceremony in the UK and then plan a celebration in the Med. That would avoid the legal issues......

Carmel2

Visit site
The citadel in Calvi Corsica would fit the bill. Marina in town (book early) great view's, 6km fine sandy beach.

Calvi_Fotolia_71034176_L.jpg

Or another stunning venue in the same place https://www.hotel-lavilla.com/en/

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
I would think the paperwork and relevant permissions etc. are going to be a nightmare anywhere in the Med. It would probably be best to marry in a simple civil ceremony in the UK and then plan a celebration in the Med. That would avoid the legal issues......
It is do able Tony! We got married on Kefalonia many years ago, we did it ourselves, you have to have official translations of everything! it cost us £400 for all the translations. we handed everything in at the local town hall, they said, you will be married at 7 oclock in the afternoon, a week later, everything was laid on, we tied the knot and got pelted with sugared almonds. there are quite a few small companies that organize everything for you now (at a cost).