Can you dye rope, successfully?

dancrane

Visit site
I bought about 200ft of nice 10mm last year, and I think I have a good use for nearly a third of it, but I don't want to confuse it with various other similar white braided line in the cockpit. I think it's Liros braid-on-braid - presumably polyester?

I have no idea whether it resists dyeing, or if some colours last better than others - resisting UV and salt, etc.

The only thread I found on the subject, was PRV's about nylon anchor line, in 2014. Given that the fibre is different, I doubt the results would be the same.

Thanks for any replies or experience. :encouragement:

Old Bumbulum

Visit site
I'd be very wary. Even if it dyes the rope OK what sort of garish coloured patch will it leave on your deck if the dye leaches out?

dancrane

Visit site
Good point, thanks. Hence my asking.

I would imagine there are leach-resistant dyes available today. I wonder what Enterprise sails are coloured with?

jwilson

Visit site
Good point, thanks. Hence my asking.

I would imagine there are leach-resistant dyes available today. I wonder what Enterprise sails are coloured with?

I think the colour goes into the polyester that the thread is made of long before the cloth is woven and the sails are made.....

VicS

Visit site
I bought about 200ft of nice 10mm last year, and I think I have a good use for nearly a third of it, but I don't want to confuse it with various other similar white braided line in the cockpit. I think it's Liros braid-on-braid - presumably polyester?

I have no idea whether it resists dyeing, or if some colours last better than others - resisting UV and salt, etc.

The only thread I found on the subject, was PRV's about nylon anchor line, in 2014. Given that the fibre is different, I doubt the results would be the same.

Google will find dyes for synthetics....................... You now know as much as I do!

Plum

Visit site

I have dyed polyester rope with moderate success. My aim was to turn white to a buff colour so it looked more at home on a gaff cutter. I used wood dye diluted 15:1 with white spirit. After dunking, hang the rope to drain for 24 hours then hang it outside for at least a week to dry. The result was good, the colour did not come off on my hands or anything else but the colour gradually faded over two years but by then the rope was sufficiently weathered not to look too white anyway. I will not bother again and just pay a bit more for the manufacturer's buff stock. I have no experience of brighter colours.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, especially your account Plum. Thinking about it, it's probably easier for me to use the long new white line for the genoa, and dye (or just buy) a new much shorter bit of coloured line for the mainsheet.

Visits cupboard, where the big rope-bag lives...

Examination of the long line in question, reveals that in fact it has a big blue fleck, every inch. I'd forgotten. No need to dye it. :hopeless:

Thanks for the advice, just the same. :)