Can u remeber who makes integrated GPS for tender?

G

I definitely read somewhere about a year ago of a small GPS set that you attach to the tender or the jetbike and it constantly transmits its lat-long back to the mother ship (or whatever is the correct term, sounds like a spaceship) by short wave radio I guess, or maybe a cellphone. The position of the tender/jetbike then shows up on the mother ship plotter screen. Basically it's a device for keeping an eye on the kids. Does anyone know who makes/sells it, seen it in any catalogs?

I know about the GPS benefon, it's not that, that's a great toy but it is too hard to interface with my plotter. (Needs some clever telematics to convert the SMS message sent by the benefon to the mother ship cellphone into a NMEA format so can display on the plotter).

Any ideas? Matt your new launch must have this as std kit?

G

Re: Blimey

To evade trouble I haven't put the name of our boat on the tender in big writing. I thought that I was bang up to the minuite with having 2 mobile radios, evidently not. It must be quite some tender.

G

Sorry, just stood back at 20000 feet, are my posts revealing an addiction to electronics?

Actually the tender is crap but the thing is kids say they'll nip round the corner back in 5 mins then an hour later still no sign of the blighters....aaargh! So gotta electronically tag them.

Did I tell you I just got this telematics device in my car which has an integrated GSM phone and when the car alarm goes off it automatically sends an SMS to the phone in my pocket saying "car nicked".....oops stop stop off to therapy now will return with details of my latest sextant and hand bearing compass combo

G

My car has a device which, if I use the car's phone to book a service, the dealers computer interrogates the car's engine management computer during my call to see what it needs at the service! Scary or what?

The ding dong "lights on!" chime thing still did'nt stop my wife from leaving them on and then saying the car was crap because it would'nt start 12 hours later.

Nick

G

Re: diagnosis

Hmmm.... Nick, sounds like you gotta bad case of 5 series syndrome. Right? It's a kind of auto obesity, the car itself is quite trim, there's about 1200 kilos of car plus engine, the problem is the 500 kilos of gizmo wiring that it can't shake off. But count yourself lucky, there is actually a worse form of the condition, known as 7 series

We need a sexy Italian, you and me both

G

Re: second opinion

Firstly, having a gps on the tender doesn't help with the original problem, namely "where are those damn kids?". The tender is 1.24 nm away, over on that beach. Goody, now what? You'd need another tender.
Much better to give them small qtys of money so that long afternoons away can't be funded entirely out of on-hand funds, and repeated applications must be made for another 2 quid/20 FF, but this assumes kids aren't the type that play happily in a rock pool for three hours.

The sexy italian job (car?)will reduce electronic payload, but increases the requirement for AA assistance, as the damn things manage to lose its charge even without leaving the lights on.

Or was the sexy Italian Job (SIJ) boat-related? Soon we may hear of jfm's visit to the East Midlands. I can't imagine that he'll be toooo impressed - but I can understand the SIJ argument. If for example, all the shop floor workers spoke italian, then the apparent creative dynamic would be improved beyond measure. Stuck between two boats each with a crew of eight once, the days started with a full-volume "discussion" with them all shouting and imploring each other to do something of dire importance, after which they ate breakfast...so they must have simply been discusssing whether to have toast or cereal.

A floating SIJ will look and sound good, but unless it's full of german mechanicals (eg MAN) and german electrics (bosch, Kohler etc) it will be a disappointment. Or was it a *human* SIJ?....