Can I improve current instruments with small improvements

laika

Visit site
Ok. Course computer ? So what would this unit be called. ?
[…]
I do have a autohelm compass fitted. I wonder if this was for the original wind instrument that was removed. I now have raymarine wireless wind. Stand alone.

Autopilots generally have three parts: sensors providing input (at minimum an electronic compass, but often also a rudder sensor and on fancier / more modern units, sensors for stuff like pitch and yaw), a “brain” often called the course computer, and a device to physically control the helm: either a thing which controls the helm directly or a ram on the steering quadrant. It’s the course computer which takes inputs from directly connected sensors and those on a network to which it’s attached (e.g. wind data, allowing you to sail to a wind angle rather than a magnetic course, or gps to allow you to go to a waypoint) and works out how best to steer by providing power to the device which does the physical movement.

A wind instrument has no need of heading data. Only speed through the water if you want it todisplay true wind speed as well as apparent

Edit: I have no idea how those wireless microtalk wind devices are supposed to interface with other raymarine products except through that rather expensive puck-like thing. Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
The compass could be there to feed a fancy function on your radar. Perhaps not there for anything else much. I was going to suggest you ban it to below decks to make room for the plotter.

If you have the time, a few snaps of what you have would be interesting and help sort a few things .

steveeasy

Visit site
The compass could be there to feed a fancy function on your radar. Perhaps not there for anything else much. I was going to suggest you ban it to below decks to make room for the plotter.

If you have the time, a few snaps of what you have would be interesting and help sort a few things .

Hi Doug748,
When im back on board ill take some pics. ill also look to see if there is a course computer tucked away somewhere. Ive only been on board once and I was removing all sails and canvas and checking things before leaving her for a few weeks. Last boat on the Hamle, this one North of Glasgow.

Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
03C26F4A-06D2-4FB8-B7BE-B7AED720CB68.jpegFound this in a log recording maintenance.
No idea what Decca is. Can’t get image to rotate.

Steveeasy03C26F4A-06D2-4FB8-B7BE-B7AED720CB68.jpeg

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
There won't be a course computer if you don't have an autopilot- either a 4000 or EV. Electronic compasses such as you have used to be common. I had an ST30 30 years ago and there is a Nexus one in my Golden Hind. However with the advent of GPS and particularly chart plotters they are rather redundant and don't think anybody makes them now.

What you have is a pretty standard setup "in the day" and still good for most purposes. The addition of a chart plotter is probably the first thing and your decision then is where you mount it. The trend now is in the cockpit as it makes ongoing navigation as opposed to planning easier. However siting it in a tiller steered boat is often a problem. As others have said it can be free standing and independent of your existing instruments unless you want to use the data from them to display on your chart plotter in which case you need the converter and connections. You can also then connect to your EV if you get one, but if you choose an ST2000 you can use your speed and wind data direct from the instruments through Seatalk.

Decisions, decisions!

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
There won't be a course computer if you don't have an autopilot- either a 4000 or EV. Electronic compasses such as you have used to be common. I had an ST30 30 years ago and there is a Nexus one in my Golden Hind. However with the advent of GPS and particularly chart plotters they are rather redundant and don't think anybody makes them now.

What you have is a pretty standard setup "in the day" and still good for most purposes. The addition of a chart plotter is probably the first thing and your decision then is where you mount it. The trend now is in the cockpit as it makes ongoing navigation as opposed to planning easier. However siting it in a tiller steered boat is often a problem. As others have said it can be free standing and independent of your existing instruments unless you want to use the data from them to display on your chart plotter in which case you need the converter and connections. You can also then connect to your EV if you get one, but if you choose an ST2000 you can use your speed and wind data direct from the instruments through Seatalk.

Decisions, decisions!
Thanks
Well If it works then ill leave well alone. I think ill mount the chart plotter in between the instruments similar to Concertos. On my last boat I mounted it on the bulkhead. used to end up getting touched all the time. I do have an ST2000 which ill keep as a spare. Think ill keep an eye out for an ST4 or 5000. For what im going to do it will meet all my needs. Much rather sort the single line reefing and get a new mainsail.

An important factor for choosing a Contessa 32 was reducing maintenance time. I like doing it, but prefer to go sailing and limited time constraints. Another factor for buying a Contessa was the ability to have fun. Being able to push the boat more and have total confidence in the rig. Of course the main reason was they look totally awesome on the water. It really is all abouts looks!!. I care little if a tad cramped inside.20200803_153332.jpg

Steveeasy

Last edited:

Pete7

Visit site
For 10 years we had a ST2000 steering our Moody 31 and it worked fine driving a short tiller even though we had a wheel as well. Then we switched to an EV1 wheel system. Ignoring the wheel bit, there is a huge difference in control as the Ev1 has a gyro compass which is far more sensitive and reacts earlier.

Note both the ST4000 or EV1 benefit from adding the rudder reference units so the system knows what direction the rudder is pointing. Also they work perfectly well in a a stand alone mode, so you can use them and integrate later if that helps the budget.

There is a RM Smart Pilot X5 system on FB Marketplace at the moment for £625 which would give you most of the bits. Sell the wheel drive off for £200 and find a tiller drive.

wiggy

Visit site
Ouch. I wonder what would be an alternative to the ST2000 that would work with the above?. might be time to get a professional to sort the current system instead of working on something I have little understanding of. would the Raymarine AV100 be something that would work and or did autohelm have something similar. any suggestions for someone to look at this in the Dunoon area.

Thanks
steveeasy
Autohelm is the old name for Raymarine

doug748

Visit site
I think you are wise. On the bulkhead there are a number of disadvantages, not least having to cut or drill in a in a very prominent place and being made uncomfortable whilst reclining at anchor:

1668937634160.png

Here is one way of perching it in a good spot, on a similar boat:

1668938053503.png

Or you can shift two of the instruments and use that space, which arguably looks more elegant and would accommodate a larger unit. Either way the thing can be fixed or demountable to use below decks.
You have to be a bit careful because you don't want to hamper the usual spinnaker gear etc which is nearby. Plus you will need elbow room for the large amounts of extra stuff involved in reefing via the cockpit.

Fitting new wires on these boats can be tricky because of the moulded headliner. However, I would rather have an outbreak of genital itch onboard than a professional anything. Watch your wallet.

PS, Decca was the old position finder before we had Sat Nav, GPS, Plotters etc

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
I have a Garmin 128 in place of the port side compass - it is forever getting buttons pressed by crews' knees. If you already have instruments above the hatch and you are brave you can disconnect a wire and use it to pull a messenger through and hence another wire - don't blame me if it all jams up, though. The most important electronic charting aid you might need while you are oop north is a method of displaying Antares charts - I use a laptop when I feel the need for them, the rest of the time paper and eye-ball does the job (except in fog!).

steveeasy

Visit site
I have a Garmin 128 in place of the port side compass - it is forever getting buttons pressed by crews' knees. If you already have instruments above the hatch and you are brave you can disconnect a wire and use it to pull a messenger through and hence another wire - don't blame me if it all jams up, though. The most important electronic charting aid you might need while you are oop north is a method of displaying Antares charts - I use a laptop when I feel the need for them, the rest of the time paper and eye-ball does the job (except in fog!).
Oh I need to find a Garmin 128. when all else fails i Find them such a good back up. Fog!!. do you get that oop North. Ill have to get familiar with the radar unit on board, I bet they dont lke fog!!.
Steveeasy

Concerto

Visit site
Thanks
Well If it works then ill leave well alone. I think ill mount the chart plotter in between the instruments similar to Concertos. On my last boat I mounted it on the bulkhead. used to end up getting touched all the time. I do have an ST2000 which ill keep as a spare. Think ill keep an eye out for an ST4 or 5000. For what im going to do it will meet all my needs.

Steveeasy
Steve. When I orginally fitted the chart plotter it was fixed above the old instrument box. After a huge amount of searching I found a glassfibre pod for sale on eBay for £50. I was not sure it would fit, but the height was the problem. Also the gel coat had some bubbles and these needed filling and compounding. It turned out to be quite a problem fixing everything as I needed an extra wood panel to secure the new pod to. Once I had dry fitted all the instruments to the pod, I fitted it in place with the cables ready to fit. A new problem appeared as the depth of the pod was not great enough for cables coming straight out of the back of the instruments. This meant I needed to lift the instruments off the pod face by about 40mm. Concerto was out of the water and was launching in 36 hours. I managed to buy a chunk of oak which I shaped to fit. However, I was sailing in 2 days after launching, heading for the Southampton Boat Show. Panic mode set in. Then I realised to old front from the old instrument box could lift the B&G units, so this was cut into blocks. The chart plotter had a similar problem which I solve by using the backing trim from when it was used as stand alone unit. Everything was fitted and working in time for sailing to the show and that is how she was presented. Later once home, the oak panel was stained and varnished before being fitted.

IMAG0727 1000pix.jpg
Chartplotter as orginally fitted.

IMG_2873 1000pix.jpg
Varnished board fitted for new pod to fix to.

IMG_2874 1000pix.jpg
New pod resting in place.

IMG_2875 1000pix.jpg
Instruments had been dry fitted.

IMG_2885 1000pix.jpg
Instruments fitted with blocks and the chartplotter lifted using the backing trim which was drilled and fixed to the pod.

IMG_2886 1000pix.jpg
The oak front ready for varnishing.

IMG_3164 1000pix.jpg
Fully finished, except the outer instrument rubber backings had dropped slightly.

One final comment. All of my instruments are stand alone. One day I will get a SeaTalk cable to connect the plotter to the autopilot. When I sailed round Britain, the wind strut had not been refitted, so I relied on the Windex and sail tell tails to set the sail trim. So do you need everything connected? No, is my answer.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi Concerto,
Quite simple and very effective idea and I might add, adds a touch of wood to varnish. we need something to varnish. No I dont need anything connected, indeed probably makes it far simple to simple use the instruments, apart from the AIS which is handy to have on the chartploter. Your post reminded me of sailing across lyme Bay while finishing off a cabinet in my previous boat. quick coat of varnish and hey presto. when I arrived, I tried to get a glass and the sliding smoke effect doors were stuck fast!!.

Many thanks for the pics looks very good. ive got to go thru your restoration videos now as I recall you did not varnish, but used something with a matt finish. Irecall it looked very good indeed.

Steveeasy

Concerto

Visit site
Hi Concerto,
Quite simple and very effective idea and I might add, adds a touch of wood to varnish. we need something to varnish. No I dont need anything connected, indeed probably makes it far simple to simple use the instruments, apart from the AIS which is handy to have on the chartploter. Your post reminded me of sailing across lyme Bay while finishing off a cabinet in my previous boat. quick coat of varnish and hey presto. when I arrived, I tried to get a glass and the sliding smoke effect doors were stuck fast!!.

Many thanks for the pics looks very good. ive got to go thru your restoration videos now as I recall you did not varnish, but used something with a matt finish. Irecall it looked very good indeed.

Steveeasy
Steve, all the information is in this link.

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/2/25/Interior_Woodwork_Concerto_PowerPoint.pdf