Camping gaz 907 refills Plymouth?

bluedragon

Visit site
Best place to buy? Chandlers seem fairly pricey (or is £19 the going rate at present?). I'm wondering if garages, camping outlets, etc, are significantly cheaper.

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
As I understand it, Camping Gaz publishes the price list and the outlets have to use it, but that may have changed.

I did get a 904 refill from Go Outdoors a couple of months ago and that was £18 IIRC. I woundered how they managed to do a discount for using their loyalty card bearing in mind the fixed price, but it was £2 cheaper than the "without card" price.

So it's as clear as mud really.

I just pay, it'll cost £3 in deisel to drive to the next place to see how much it is there.

haydude

Visit site
That is really annoying because I paid Euro 15 for such refill in Spain just three weeks ago. At 1.12 exchange rate it makes about £13.50.

Why do we have to be ripped off like this over here?

Last edited:

brians

Visit site
As far as I can see the Gaz retailers operate a price fixing arrangement. It has to be with 5 suppliers all charging the same price.

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
Most places in the UK sell the 907 for £19, 904 £14, up here in Scotland it gets dearer, I just paid (exchange) £54 for 2x907's in Lerwick, Shetland now thats really taking the preverbial. Although the fees for mooring balance it out at £8.50 for 24 hrs including electricity (Moody 33).

According to the camping shop in Inverness, Accademy Street, recently there (cheapest gaz in town) £19 set by calor, marina in Inverness £30, and Garage £28 for the same bottles.

The price seems to vary from place to place, I helped out a posh yacht, who said he'd ran out and couldn't get any (weekend) in Arbroath, he gave me £20 plus empty and the bottle cost me £27 on the monday morning, meanwhile off he went happy, they say no good deed goes unpunished....got stiffed there.

Visit site
As far as I can see the Gaz retailers operate a price fixing arrangement. It has to be with 5 suppliers all charging the same price.

Such an agreement would be Resale Price Maintenance and a criminal practice with potentially large fines. If, that is, the Competition Commission's london lawyers ever got off their backsides and did anything. Have a look at this

VicMallows

Visit site
Amazes me that anyone chooses to use Camping Gaz when in UK. (I can understand for shortish holidays abroad due to availability).

Why not use a 4.5kg Calor which is just as easily available with the gas around half the price? Of course better still if you can accommodate and handle a 7kg, although availability not quite so good.

I am sure the answer will come 'my gas locker will only accomodate a 907' ....so perhaps it is the boat builders who are in the pay of Camping Gaz :eek:

Vic

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I am sure the answer will come 'my gas locker will only accomodate a 907' ....so perhaps it is the boat builders who are in the pay of Camping Gaz :eek:

Vic

That's part of the story with my old man who has a Jeanneau. Modifications would have been a pain in the arase, but may have paid for themselves in the 30 years he has had the boat. To go to France he would have needed to have the facility to use Camping Gaz.