Cam cleat to 25 mm grab rail

Oede

Visit site
I am looking a solution to install cam cleat (or Spinlock PXR) to grab rail. My motivation is to avoid drilling holes to deck.

I have been searching for 25 mm rail fasteners which would have similar hole spacing (38 mm) than typical cam cleats. So far I have found only one solution (Davit Cam Cleats (Pair) -), but for availability I am looking something from Europe.

I could potentially install some stainless steel clips and use Spinlock PXR also, but not sure how solid that would be.

Any ideas?

Oede

Visit site
I am meaning grab rail on cabin top. I am planning to build jib inhauler and lead it to back. All current clutches are full and there is not really space to route another rope next to them. Aft end of the cabin top grab rail is rather reachable and solid enough for a cleat. I would also like to avoid drilling new holes to cabin top, also making through bolts is limited in some areas.

There seems to be nylon rail brackets with typical 38 mm cam cleat spacing. Still not sure if they are sturdy enough.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Photos help.

I think I get it. The rail runs fore-aft just in front of the cockpit bulkhead and you want to hold the tail of a barberhauler. Hard to do through bolts. I get it.

You did not mention the size of the boat. If the hauler is just in or out, the load is not too high and it should work. If it slips a screw into the tubing may be needed. If it is also a down-haul the force may be too great for a cam cleat, so add some purchase. Rigging it with rap rings makes this easy.

You will likely want to use Dyneema for the running parts, but you need a polyester cover for the cam cleat. Splice it on.

solid rings in running rigging

Neeves

Visit site
A belated welcome to the forum

You would be most unusual not to have a phone with a camera - now is a perfect opportunity to use it (as Thinwater implies).

Your idea will be more easily understood with a picture, recall they are worth 1,000 words, and the picture may spark of a completely different solution to the one you describe. If its 'simply' a barber haul - you might be able to route the barber haul someplace else using a, or some, judiciously located blocks.

Historically there were restrictions on newcomers posting pictures - in which case apologies - but make up the number of posts needed to qualify (nothing too onerous) and we can better help you.

I have this fear that your application might result in tensions not envisaged for your grab rail (which might be secured with some paltry and insignificant screws).

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
Thank you for the detail - as you saw - some were thinking you meant Pushpit / Pulpit rails ...

Using the cabin top grab rails ? IMHO - it would depend on two factors :

1. What the rails are made of ... wood or stainless tube. If of wood - then I am not so sure its a good idea ..

2. How well secured to cabin top ... is usual where a machine screw comes through the cabin top and into rail - you may find it works loose over time.

Grab rails - we use the all time when moving about the boat - but they rarely take an stress. With a cleat fitted to it - that can mean repeated stress which really they are not designed for ...

Sorry if my thoughts are not in line with your expectations.