Calling Techno Freaks

Renegade_Master

Visit site
I have probably asked this question before (sorry Jim cant remember) need advice on inverter to use in car plugged into fag socket to run PC for Autoroute navigation.

I tried once a 100w inverter and all it did was blow a fuse to the fag lighter, need a larger inverter ?

Details : on back of computor Dell Inspiron 4000' Input 20v 3.5A

On transformer it reads: input 100-240v 1.5A 50/60hz
output 20v 3.5A

So what size inverter (watts ?) does the team think I need.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

jfm

Visit site
Probly a 150w inverter will do it, (assuming the 1.5A drawn by the dell transformer is stated at the minimum voltage, so ie 100v x 1.5A) but praps better to get a bigger one to allow for headroom and power factor. 200w say. Then you need to fit uprated wiring and fuse to your car's cig lighter, because even a 100w inverter blew it. Praps 20amp wiring and 20 amp fuse.

pheran

Visit site
We used our Sony lap-top running Autoroute to get us all round Holland last week. Back of the Sony transformer reads Input: AC 110-240V, 84-120VA, 50/60Hz
Output: DC 16V 2.5A. Our 150W inverter handled that with no probs at all.

Steve_D

Visit site
What about getting a small GPS, garmin do quite a few with street level mapping on them. I use a Garmin Legend it has all of the major roads of europe as a base map plus 8Mb of storage which is a large chunk of the UK at street level it takes a bit of getting used to but I rarely take a road map with me now.

It also has petrol stations etc so if your low select the nearest station and it will draw a line to it

alternatively what about those portable power supply things, they will run a laptop for several hours and will recharge from the ciggy lighter, they're pretty cheap now as well.

Regards

Steve D

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>I suggest you stop the car and knock on someone's door and ask if you can plug in to their supply. This will achieve two aims {i} It will save you money {ii} let you meet new people.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I've done the same with my IBM Thinkpad but bought the IBM adaptor. It's also got a plug adaptor for use on aircraft. It's neat (will fit easily in the laptop bag) and you know it's right. The downside is the cost (about £50 ) and of course you can't use it for anything else. Worth checking out Dell's cost. Hint: try E-bay.
I also use it to watch VCD's on the laptop for the folk in the back on long journeys . Output goes via a cassette adaptor for full surround car sound
David

tr7v8

Visit site
Clive,
having had a look at the lap-top I think we discussed a 300W inverter but you are looking at a fairly serious current at full chat reckoning that the wattage of the lptop once running will be around the 180W mark that's 15Amps @ 12V, say 20Amps taking in startup annd inefficiences of the inverter. Most ciggi lighters are fused ataround 10Amps and to double the fusing would need a look at the wiring. I'd suggest a second lighter socket plumbed in off the battery with it's own inline fuse of 20Amps and more importantly decent size cable.
Quite a few people now offer lap top supplies that take 12V in and give direct 20ishV out wich is more efficient. But I still think you'll blow the ciggie fuse. (20V x 3.5A = 70Watts = around 8-10 Amps) although you may get away with it.
The other advantage of properly direct wiring is it's always on and doesn't go off when ignition turned off. It could also give a second ciggie socket for the GPS.
I assume you've got Autoroute installed then?
Jim
-------

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Afirmative on the last bit thats Jim what about DavidJ's point about an adaptor to run off 12v bumping up to 20v for the laptop (no 240v involved) do they exist ?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

tr7v8

Visit site
Yes thats what my 2nd to last para. talks about, but although less current you may still be marginal for your wiring and socket. Most sockets are designed for about 3-5Amp drain and any more either blows the fuse or fries the socket. The better quality ones are OK for around 10 Amps after that I'd recommend going to a proper socket and wiring to the battery.

Jim
------

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Re: Byron

I said "Techno Freaks" (knowing it would exclude you but no) you cant resist an explosion of wit/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
I tend to carry lots of spare batteries (4)
and have found this works for say 2 days on road.
my compaq has an indicator on the spares to show charge level.I donot know how much the batteries are tho' as i rob them from our IT dept.
would this be a simpler/cheaper solution

<font color=red>Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.</font color=red>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Jim on the boat I have a 4 way ciggie socket, now If we wired that up to the battery with inline 20amp fuse and thick wiring, then I could plug in a 12v to 20v adaptor, (have to check out Dell) PLUS the socket from the Garmin thus they should both work at the same time. Thinks now who could I get thats techi to wire up said 4 way to battery erm.....

tr7v8

Visit site
You'll have heart failure if you find out the Dell price, as per our telecon try maplin.co.uk or mobilitycomputing.co.uk.

And this Techie do I know his name perchance?

Jim
-------

tr7v8

Visit site
I was going to say you can't be buying them!
They are around the £ 40 to £ 60 mark each and thats OEM ones genuine manufacturers ones are worse!

Jim
------

ballena

Visit site
I run my Sony Viao with similar power rating(with PFC)on the boat and in the car through a Maplin 150 W inverter.

The problem with most switchmode power supplies if they do not have power factor correction is the inrush current due to the converter startup.

I have tried a 14"portable rated at 90W, but again the inrush current blew the fuse.

Upgrade the fuse and wiring is the only route

V8's rule!

CliveG

Visit site
Dell do a 12v charger / power supply but the price is now a bit steep (£80.00)

I got one 2 years ago and it works well in the car with a Garmin PII+ handheld GPS powered from a double fag lighter socket.

The charger seems a bit sensitive to any voltage drop and will stop charging if it falls to low.

It is good for charging up on the boat as well as long as you have a lighter socket with a good connection to the battery.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Hi Clive yeah no probs on the boat use Tsunamis on the PC all the time, but I've got a built in 1500w inverter on the boat and plug the Garmin handheld into ciggie socket. That Dell power supply could well be the answer I've got a 4 way ciggie lighter adaptor so should be no probs