Calling Coney Island 8800

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
There is a new user on this forum goes by the name of "Coney Island 8800". He sent me a PM regarding my old Windy 8800 which was called Coney Island. This chap (I assume it's a he not a she) has bought my old Windy and is restoring it from top to bottom. I wish him well with the project as, apparantly, the boat had been left in a poor condition.

I do hope CI 8800 will post on here with pictures, as restoration jobs of this nature are always of interest to us all, not just me as a previous owner.

The Binman

www.vfmassociates.com
What is it with you portmadog chaps who must have a Van Morrison reference in the boat name!! "Coney Island," "Precious Time" St Elmo's Fire (Steel my heart away)..........:rolleyes:
hope they do a good job Dave and get her back to her former glory!

Last edited:

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
What is it with you portmadog chaps who must have a Van Morrison reference in the boat name!! "Coney Island," "Precious Time" St Elmo's Fire (Steel my heart away)..........:rolleyes:
hope they do a good job Dave and get her back to her former glory!

Well do you remember in Porthmadog there was a "Brown Eyed Girl" as well?

When CI is restored, she will be cruising in the north sea - Buckden on Ouse, IIRC.

raven

Visit site
Point of order.

"St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" is a song recorded by John Parr. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on September 7, 1985, remaining there for two weeks. It was the main theme for the Joel Schumacher's 1985 film St. Elmo's Fire.

The song also peaked at number six in the UK, Parr's home country.[1] and became a number-one hit for John Parr around the world and provided many awards and a Grammy nomination.

The song was originally written by David Foster and John Parr for the Canadian athlete Rick Hansen, who at the time was going around the world in his wheelchair to raise awareness for spinal cord injuries. His journey was called the "Man in Motion Tour."[2][3]

Strangely, this hit song did not also appear on a John Parr album, except on a very rare 1985 CD re-release of his self-titled album from 1984 in West Germany.

It was not....I REPEAT N.O.T. a Van Morrison song

The Binman

www.vfmassociates.com
Point of order.

"St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" is a song recorded by John Parr. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on September 7, 1985, remaining there for two weeks. It was the main theme for the Joel Schumacher's 1985 film St. Elmo's Fire.

The song also peaked at number six in the UK, Parr's home country.[1] and became a number-one hit for John Parr around the world and provided many awards and a Grammy nomination.

The song was originally written by David Foster and John Parr for the Canadian athlete Rick Hansen, who at the time was going around the world in his wheelchair to raise awareness for spinal cord injuries. His journey was called the "Man in Motion Tour."[2][3]

Strangely, this hit song did not also appear on a John Parr album, except on a very rare 1985 CD re-release of his self-titled album from 1984 in West Germany.

It was not....I REPEAT N.O.T. a Van Morrison song

Oh. So why did you call it St Elmo's Fire? is it an anagram?

raven

Visit site
St Elmo (or St Erasmus) is the patron saint of seafarers and / or fishermen.

In the old days, when seafarers were ashore after a stint at sea, they would (like as not) head for the taverns and bars and get themselves "grogged-up" and end up either fighting or visiting the local bordellos to fraternise with ladies of ill repute....nowadays we have the YBW forum.

usernamekim

Visit site
There is a new user on this forum goes by the name of "Coney Island 8800". He sent me a PM regarding my old Windy 8800 which was called Coney Island. This chap (I assume it's a he not a she) has bought my old Windy and is restoring it from top to bottom. I wish him well with the project as, apparantly, the boat had been left in a poor condition.

I do hope CI 8800 will post on here with pictures, as restoration jobs of this nature are always of interest to us all, not just me as a previous owner.

usernamekim

Visit site
Hi Dave,

we are the current owners of Coney Island windy 8800 (since September 2020) would be amazing to have a bit of history as she did not come with much paper work - is it right she was previously opened by ‘Beken of Cowes’?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide

Andre and Kim
Emsworth Yacht Harbour IMG_1723.jpeg