Calling all chemists

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I found an aerosol can of silicon grease lying in the bilge yesterday, and unfortunately it has rusted and a pinhole allowed it to empty itself. I've soaked as much as I can from the water surface into paper towels but need to know what I can use to neutralise the remainder. I don't really want to use the bilge pump yet, but it's an open keelboat and more rain isn't helping.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You cannot really "neutralise" silicon grease. Obviously, it is not acid or alkaline so the classical definition of neutralise is not relevant. I suspect that a good solvent like white spirit or acetone or alcohol might partially loosen/dissolve it but you can't just pour those in as that is potentially a bigger problem.

I think that all you can do is absorb as much as you can with old dry cloths or kitchen roll or whatever and then use clothes with some white spirit etc to wipe/rub all the accessible surfaces to remove the coating.

Richard

Last edited:

Yosilas

Visit site
A mild organic acid, is what we use at work to remove traces of silicone compounds so that adhesives work. So perhaps diluted spirit vinegar would also help remove it.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Silicone not silicon and you don't neutralise it as already confirmed.

A lot depends on the substrate and only used it with glass in the lab. Dilute hydrofluoric acid or hexane worked but don't even think about either in boat bilges.

Try mopping all you can with paper towels. Then conc. washing up liquid followed with lots of small rinses.

Perhaps someone else has a magic cure.

Baddox

Visit site
Acid, as mentioned will break down the silicone but it will be very slow.
Solvents such as petrol or panel wipe will dissolve it, but dangerous in the confines of a boat.
Fairy liquid will emulsify it into the water which can be pumped or soaked up.
Fuller's earth (clay sold as cat litter) will soak it up.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Acid, as mentioned will break down the silicone but it will be very slow.
Solvents such as petrol or panel wipe will dissolve it, but dangerous in the confines of a boat.
Fairy liquid will emulsify it into the water which can be pumped or soaked up.
Fuller's earth (clay sold as cat litter) will soak it up.

You're right that petrol or panel wipe can be dangerous, but panel wipe evaporates very quickly, so unless your're doing something totally daft like smoking a cigar while cleaning silicone grease from the bilge, you should be alright.

I have mentioned automotive panel wipe many times on this forum. It's what the bodyshop boys use for a final wipe over cars before they paint them. It absolutely does remove silicon. It also removes a lot of other greasy contaminates, silicon sealant as you apply it, some paints etc etc and is useful to have onboard. Unlike a lot of solvents it does not attack acrylic or most plastics. Good stuff.

VicS

Visit site
You're right that petrol or panel wipe can be dangerous, but panel wipe evaporates very quickly, so unless your're doing something totally daft like smoking a cigar while cleaning silicone grease from the bilge, you should be alright.

I have mentioned automotive panel wipe many times on this forum. It's what the bodyshop boys use for a final wipe over cars before they paint them. It absolutely does remove silicon. It also removes a lot of other greasy contaminates, silicon sealant as you apply it, some paints etc etc and is useful to have onboard. Unlike a lot of solvents it does not attack acrylic or most plastics. Good stuff.

Unfortunately the term "panel wipe" does not exactly define any particular composition. Some are brands are likely to be more effective than others

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Thanks all. Paul, I have a gallon of panel wipe in my workshop and thought I might be cleaning up with it, but will do a strong detergent mix and pump out first. The ironical thing about it is that my bilge pump exits through the foredeck, so I couldn't just pump the worst out yesterday because it would have coated the entire deck, and I felt that wouldn't be helpful for the race we were about to do.

As I said, it's an open boat (and I don't smoke cigars anymore) so little risk of blowing it up. As I understand it, panel wipe is pretty much standard stuff whose main aim is getting rid of silicone form cars in bodyshops - I have it because I'm paranoid about letting the stuff anywhere near curing epoxy.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Unfortunately the term "panel wipe" does not exactly define any particular composition. Some are brands are likely to be more effective than others

Sigh........... panel wipe is designed for erm..... wiping panels, so no matter the composition, it will remove silicone residue, because that's one of its key purposes in life.

lw395

Visit site
I'd get the water out with a wet vacuum. Dispose via foul drain ashore.
Then wash with plenty of biodegradable washing powder. Vacuum the worst out and dispose as above.
Rinse and bail out.

Then see what you're left with and look at solvents like panel wipe.