Calking

Wansworth

Visit site
On Yaba they have used an epoxy filler over the caulking cotton,traditionally it was putty that gave as the wood swelled how does this epoxy putty function.Also noticed that modern boatbuilding practice uses the grinder with wood sanding discs to finish timber instead of planes and spokeshaves

DownWest

Visit site
Don’t see how it can work,what’s wrong with putty?
Lots wrong with putty, but there are much better flexible seam sealers about now. One shipright remarked that putty is barely acceptable on houses and should be nowhere near boats.

Little digression... Local friend had a Swedish built motor sailor. Hull is mahogany, close seamed, so no caulk. It always leaked a bit, mostly round the aft sections (double ender) After an unfortunate incident requiring compressed air and flotation bags...we applied our minds to it. I bought one of those plunge panel saws, came with two steel blades, which, if put in together, gave a 3mm kerf. Ran it down the offending seams with the depth set at 6MM. Hull planks are 7/8" to 1"
Then coated with a waterbased epoxy designed to seal wood and pushed in a synthetic rubber 4mm dia strip. Let the epoxy go off and applied Sika 11FC PU mastic to fair the result. Those seams held nicely, but other problems surfaced later with the double planked topsides and a brave new lady owner is now taking it off to the Is d'Oleron for a complete rebuild.

DownWest

Visit site
Worked at Hillyards andweused putty andI used putty on my boat……….these new fangled ideas?
Hillyards are def old school.
The prob with the M/sailor was, if the close seams leak, what do you do? Also, been in fresh water for the last 18 yrs as river cruiser. That prob didn't help much. Did contemplate drying her out and epoxy sheathing the hull, But a/ mucho €€€ and b/ it looked delightfull clear finished.

DownWest

Visit site
Power planers are a very quick way to regrets.

A while back, we were awaiting the tide in San Lucar de Barrameda to go up to Sevilla. Guys next to us were redoing a big fishing boat. Lots of adze work on show, along with cutting scarfs with a chainsaw... Rough, but quite accurate.

chinita

Visit site
On Yaba they have used an epoxy filler over the caulking cotton,traditionally it was putty that gave as the wood swelled how does this epoxy putty function.Also noticed that modern boatbuilding practice uses the grinder with wood sanding discs to finish timber instead of planes and spokeshaves

When I trained at the IBTC sanding, especially with a sander, was strictly verboten.

Keith 66

Visit site
When i worked at Thames marine i was the only guy in the factory ho had a plane in his toolbox. Everyone else used an angry grinder with sanding disc, known as a Canvey plane!

38mess

Visit site
I know nothing about wooden boat building, but I guess these guys (yaba) know what they are doing, especially the older gentleman who seems to be doing most of the work. It's become my favourite boat building channel, I was especially impressed with the caulking guy, he never stops working.

Wansworth

Visit site
I know nothing about wooden boat building, but I guess these guys (yaba) know what they are doing, especially the older gentleman who seems to be doing most of the work. It's become my favourite boat building channel, I was especially impressed with the caulking guy, he never stops working.

its Possible that the hardwood that they have used for the hull planking won’t swell but from my limited experience new construction tends to swell leaving a line of putty