Calculating the anchor distance from the boat

jamie N

Visit site
As others have stated, 3:1 seems very 'short'? I was taught that it should be 6:1, but have never seen or heard of that since college, more usually it's 5:1.
Obviously I've a CQR, so 3:1 would work fine, and if I had an Anderson 22, it'd 'know' how to maintain station anyway!
(Apologies to Andy!)

Irish Rover

Visit site
As others have stated, 3:1 seems very 'short'? I was taught that it should be 6:1, but have never seen or heard of that since college, more usually it's 5:1.
Obviously I've a CQR, so 3:1 would work fine, and if I had an Anderson 22, it'd 'know' how to maintain station anyway!
(Apologies to Andy!)
I'm in the Aegean - no tides and few if any currents. I wrote minimum 3/1. Quite often 3/1 is plenty, even overnight. There are times when just resting the anchor on the seabed under the bow roller would be enough. I have 40m out tonight in 6m.
I don't know Andy but if you send me his numbe I'll pass on your apologies.

jamie N

Visit site
I've never anchored anywhere apart from South Coast or Scotland, and envy this stability that the Aegean gives you. I wasn't aware of it, albeit I notice that you've about 6.5:1 out tonight, so you should rest peacefully.