CA Almanac - More up to date than Reeds?

Lucky Duck

Visit site
I'm becoming increasingly irritated by the amount of out of date information in my copy of Reeds - the latest example I have encountered being the listing of a 25t travel hoist and associated facilities in the North East corner Sutton Harbour Plymouth which seemed have become housing 10 years ago - is the Cruising Association version any better?

(A year or two ago I did take the time to submit some corrections - e.g. their depiction of the East Looe Channel buoys has been incorrect for a while now and the plan for Ocean Village still shows the Royal Southampton YC based in what are now MDL offices - but that was seemingly given a stiff ignoring.)

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'm becoming increasingly irritated by the amount of out of date information in my copy of Reeds - the latest example I have encountered being the listing of a 25t travel hoist and associated facilities in the North East corner Sutton Harbour Plymouth which seemed have become housing 10 years ago - is the Cruising Association version any better?

(A year or two ago I did take the time to submit some corrections - e.g. their depiction of the East Looe Channel buoys has been incorrect for a while now and the plan for Ocean Village still shows the Royal Southampton YC based in what are now MDL offices - but that was seemingly given a stiff ignoring.)

Similar experience.
Submitted corrections to the listed time of the lock operations of Antwerp Linkeroever marina - way back in 2014.
Last Reeds I bought (2021) still had the incorrect times.

Given up on Reeds now.
Found Bloc Marine excellent for my cruising area.

Minerva

Visit site
Surely the likes of Reeds and other paper based almanacks have effectively ran their course; now in your pocket you'll have a map app with satellite photography showing layout of pontoons plus the likes of savvy navvy / navily / navionics et al where the data is much more "live" and up to date.

Certainly our alamanac onboard is 2012(?) and hasn't been opened in years.

dunedin

Visit site
For sure there are plenty of online sources of information but I find having information in print useful.
That's where a proper pilot book for a specific area is best - generally massively more detailed than an almanac, which tends to cover a huge area and hence limited detail.
The Clyde Cruising Club Sailing directions for W Scotland, comprise 4 large volumes. The Almanacs sweep across the same area in just a few pages.
PS Or get Explore With Imray and get all the CCC Directions AND the CA Almanac info all together on an online screen- and soon an App.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

I wonder if anybody has actually told Reeds about the housing development?

Any publication, paper or internet is only as good at the information given to the authors. While you can update a web page in an instant getting something into print takes a bit longer, but we all know that.

Back in April, when I was last in Ocean Village, there were no pontoons in most of the marina! I bet that never gets into any publication.

I purchase a copy of Reeds every seven years. It is my base information, then supplement things from the internet and phone calls to places I'm going. I did get told off by a harbour master one because I had not read a LNTM they had posted 24 hours before, I politely advised him that I can't get a phone signal more than 5 NM offshore.

I shall get back to my chart corrections now...

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Having been seemingly ignored the first time around I’m not particularly inclined to resubmit a second round of corrections, see also post #2

On this particular inaccuracy, I believe Mark Fishwick is listed as one of the editors of Reeds and references to Harbour marine’s facilities were removed in the previous edition of his cruising companion

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
… Explore With Imray and get all the CCC Directions AND the CA Almanac info all together on an online screen- and soon an App.

Thanks for referring to Explore With Imray and the CCC pilot books inclusion. Just joined and so far a great resource from my initial browsing. If anyone else is interested, it is a subscription service with yearly or monthly payments and represents great value, compared to buying just a single paper CCC sailing directions book, or any other hard copy almanac.

rotrax

Visit site
First Mate and I met a young lady on the Visitor Moorings in Littlehampton who was bringing the "Shell Channel Pilot" up to date.

Tongue in cheek I asked the question, the answer was that it was with Tom's blessing!

Be interesting if there will be a digital version as that appears to be the modern way.

KeithMD

Visit site
Isn't this just one of example of published media which all used to be printed and corrected annually? But most of the publishers have decided the printed version was just seed material for the digital online version, and it's the latter that they keep up to date, assuming everyone has a internet connection when it is most needed.

One example of the direction that publishers prefer us to follow (unless we make enough fuss) was the anouncement that printed marine charts would be withdrawn - and then delayed to 2030 (so far), because enough fuss was made.

These conversations have highlighted a number of important transnational and regulatory factors that need further consideration, and we are grateful to every organisation that has engaged in this process. It has become clear that more time is required to address the needs of those specific users who do not yet have viable alternatives to paper chart products, so we will continue to provide a paper chart service until at least 2030.

But

The UKHO’s guiding principle is the provision of trusted, official ADMIRALTY navigation solutions that support the safety of life at sea. It is clear that the future of navigation is digital, as shown by the rapidly declining demand for paper products. Digital solutions offer significant safety and operational advantages to mariners, including the potential for near real-time updates, which greatly improve the accuracy of navigation and ease of use. These benefits will be further enhanced as we bring forward the next generation of navigation solutions, underpinned by the S-100 data standards.

Paper chart withdrawal

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
While deeply pissed off annoyed at the Admiralty withdrawing there paper charts other publishers are available.

I've moved to Imray for UK and northern European waters and NV for further afield (only purchased while overseas as the move to a parallel universe put their prices through the roof).

lustyd

Visit site
I wonder if anybody has actually told Reeds about the housing development?

Any publication, paper or internet is only as good at the information given to the authors.
Yes plenty of people give them updates.

I disagree, at £50 a copy it’s their job to check what they’re printing in a book whose sole purpose is having up to date information. We’ve found 3 errors so far in a week long cruise, some of which are rather important like the phone numbers for Lulworth ranges. It’s the last copy I’ll be buying, if I can’t rely on the information it’s less useful on board than a roll of toilet paper, and about 50 times more expensive!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
First Mate and I met a young lady on the Visitor Moorings in Littlehampton who was bringing the "Shell Channel Pilot" up to date.

Tongue in cheek I asked the question, the answer was that it was with Tom's blessing!

Be interesting if there will be a digital version as that appears to be the modern way.
Tom has, after 30 years, retired as the compiler of the Channel Pilot. Tom's successor is Rachel Sprout, who may have been the person you met.

dunedin

Visit site
While deeply pissed off annoyed at the Admiralty withdrawing there paper charts other publishers are available.

I've moved to Imray for UK and northern European waters and NV for further afield (only purchased while overseas as the move to a parallel universe put their prices through the roof).
I see that the driver behind the attempted UKHO cost reduction exercise - and who failed to consult with the necessary authorities and had to announce a back tracking - seems to have been given a free transfer to CEO at the RNLI. Mmmmmm.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
The CA's "Captain's Mate" is developing as an excellent source of information - and you can always contact their local representative ("HLR") if in a pickle. It's at least worth considering joining.

Disclaimer: I'm a member, but have no other axe to grind.

lustyd

Visit site
Tom has, after 30 years, retired as the compiler of the Channel Pilot. Tom's successor is Rachel Sprout, who may have been the person you met.
Hopefully it’ll be modernised a bit, using it this week and the language feels very out of touch and some of it entirely meaningless when you think about what is said.

dunedin

Visit site

It looks like there already is - seems to be available on Explore with Imray.