C-Map or Navionics?

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I have CMAP on my old Raymarine RL series plotters. I have Navionics on IPad and Raymarine A65 plotter. I much prefer CMAP - much better clarity. Maybe I’ve got the wrong settings on the Navionics but I’ve tried several times to get the Navionics to equal CMAP but I can’t get it even close. So strong proponent of CMAP.

Boathook

Visit site
I have Navionics on my plotter (Raymarine with Lighthouse II) and I'm very happy with it. It looks very similar to a chart once zoomed in. As this is my first plotter I haven't tried C-Map - yet.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have no experience of C-map but have Navionics on a Zeus2 plotter, tablet and sometimes use their website. Seems perfectly OK within the limitations of Greek cartography, which is a long way from UK standard due to the vast coastline.

finbarr30

Visit site
Well, perhaps a bit unfair to C-Map.
The report reads "skipper did not increase the magnification of the region that was indicated by chart bounds to have larger scale data".
More a planning error than the fault of the electronic charts. That, not checking the course with the paper charts, and not setting depth alarms.

prv

Visit site
It might be a bit unfair to point this out, but wasn't the lack of displaying of shoal areas on a zoomed out C-Map chart the cause of the Vestas crash in November 2014?

Yes, but the same applies to Navionics.

In fact, when the news first broke I had a look at the area on their web app, and the shoal only appeared when zoomed in quite closely. Then a few days later I looked again, prompted by a thread here, and now it appeared at a much wider level of zoom. Navionics had presumably noted the problem and updated their data or display algorithm.

Pete

charles_reed

Visit site
I use Navionics on the plotter and C-Map on the laptop with OpenCPN.
Navionics gives much more "gossip" about places - CMap appears to be more accurate (Mediterranean waters), but more suitable for commercial vessels.
Both obviate the requirement for vast storage spaces of paper charts.

dunedin

Visit site
In fact, when the news first broke I had a look at the area on their web app, and the shoal only appeared when zoomed in quite closely. Then a few days later I looked again, prompted by a thread here, and now it appeared at a much wider level of zoom. Navionics had presumably noted the problem and updated their data or display algorithm.

Interesting point. So is the display algorithm defined by the chart data card (Navionics or CMAP) or by the plotter software (Raymarine Lighthouse, Garmin etc).
Logically one would think it should be the plotter software that determines the display and zoom logic, but perhaps it is not. In which case there must be a lot of duplicate and redundant software on plotters that support multiple chart formats.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Interesting point. So is the display algorithm defined by the chart data card (Navionics or CMAP) or by the plotter software (Raymarine Lighthouse, Garmin etc).
Logically one would think it should be the plotter software that determines the display and zoom logic, but perhaps it is not. In which case there must be a lot of duplicate and redundant software on plotters that support multiple chart formats.
From what I have seen, the control of the level of detail depends if you are using a dedicated CP or an App.
With OPENCPN App you can set the level of detail when using Vector charts, if using raster scan charts the details are fixed by the scale.
A CP using Vector charts controls detail by zoom level, but on my Standard Horizon CP I can zoom in and tell it to hold that level of detail as I zoom out.

NPMR

Visit site
Yacht use: experienced both.

First had C-Map, liked it. (Standard Horizon)
Changed to Navionics (Raymarine set up) and at first was not sure it was as good. Now (6 years later), very happy with it. Probably got used to it but had great service from Raymarine and easy updates. Totally reliable image (for us). Had the French seabed issue until we used correct setting. Since then, faultless.

My summary, both really good. Maybe it will come down to what hardware you can afford/prefer. Either will work brilliantly.

Peteruk

Visit site
Hi, It sounds like both are good. I'm using the free version of C-Map and it's very good. Now we have a new (to us) boat and it has a Simrad GO7 CP & FF included but no SD card. Apparently sellers often take their SD cards out when they sell their boats?
We are a Beneteau Antares 7.60 based in Ryde, Isle of Wight and don't see us making trips over the channel or to the Channel Islands. (though never say never!)
Here's my question, does anyone have experience of the C-Map Max-N+ UK and Ireland Inland waters, Chart EW-Y-334? Force 4 are selling this card/chart for £140. Seems like this would be an ideal chart for us? Another possibility is the Navionics Weymouth to Ramsgate - EU 456S but this is getting on for £200.
Any thoughts/advise gratefully accepted.

Peteruk

Visit site
Further to my post above, I have checked the C-Map chart UK & Ireland Inland waters and the key word is INLAND! Rivers canals etc so it looks like the Navionics Weymouth to Ramsgate including the channel Islands EU 456S is the best chart for us.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
? ⚰️ ? ⚰️ ?

A DEAD FRED ARISES!

With that warning out the way, I did a comparison between C-Map and Navonics in December:
I thought I slightly prefer the C-Map (I definitely prefer its tidal stream information points) but I see now the Navonics seems less cluttered - Navonics' narrower symbols seems to help.

As a general rule it's worth buying the wider coverage ("continental") because it includes several times the area for about 50% more. You should be able to get Ushant to Kiel and the whole of the UK for about £200 or so - it's silly to pay £140 and need more charts as soon as you're past Weymouth. My 2019 Y226 is still for sale.

Peteruk

Visit site
Thank you for that Kompetent Crew, sound advice. Not having owned a chart plotter before and being a new boat to us, the broker told me the chart plotter didn't have a chart in it. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when i discovered that there was in fact an SD card in the chart plotter....C-Maps English channel but it didn't show any chart when i had a 1st go on the plotter. I'd already purchased a Navionics Micro SD covering England, Ireland and some of Holland. Enough for us for sure. My Simrad Go7 is in fact a Go9! Still getting to grips with it.
Thanks for the information and advice.

? ⚰ ? ⚰ ?

A DEAD FRED ARISES!

With that warning out the way, I did a comparison between C-Map and Navonics in December:
I thought I slightly prefer the C-Map (I definitely prefer its tidal stream information points) but I see now the Navonics seems less cluttered - Navonics' narrower symbols seems to help.

As a general rule it's worth buying the wider coverage ("continental") because it includes several times the area for about 50% more. You should be able to get Ushant to Kiel and the whole of the UK for about £200 or so - it's silly to pay £140 and need more charts as soon as you're past Weymouth. My 2019 Y226 is still for sale.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Thank you for that Kompetent Crew, sound advice. Not having owned a chart plotter before and being a new boat to us, the broker told me the chart plotter didn't have a chart in it. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when i discovered that there was in fact an SD card in the chart plotter....C-Maps English channel but it didn't show any chart when i had a 1st go on the plotter. I'd already purchased a Navionics Micro SD covering England, Ireland and some of Holland. Enough for us for sure. My Simrad Go7 is in fact a Go9! Still getting to grips with it.
Thanks for the information and advice.
You can probably return the new chart under the Distance Selling act and get your money back.

I think there's a setting in my plotter's menus for setting the chart source, and that it usually prompts me when I change the SD card. But if the card in yours was unrecognised, perhaps that's all that needs doing?