Buying the boat in the Med Best Way to Transfer Euros from UK ?

Roissy

Winter Midlands Warwickshire Summer living aboard
Visit site
Hello all, not sure which Forum is best for this question. I am looking at buying my boat in The Med and need to consider the best way of transfering funds in Euros from the UK. I know that UK Bank transfers will not be the best exchange rates and/or fees and am investigating the Daily Telegraph International Money Transfer Servcie. If anyone has recently researched and made a decent sized payment in Euros I would appreciate any and all advice.

Many thanks

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Hello all, not sure which Forum is best for this question. I am looking at buying my boat in The Med and need to consider the best way of transfering funds in Euros from the UK. I know that UK Bank transfers will not be the best exchange rates and/or fees and am investigating the Daily Telegraph International Money Transfer Servcie. If anyone has recently researched and made a decent sized payment in Euros I would appreciate any and all advice.

Many thanks

Hi pal,

I've recently used a company called MoneyCorp, excellent rates and very quick. It'll take a couple of days for their money laundering checks but then it's simple.

Much better rates than banks.

Cheers

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry was not really sure of the best Forum to get a response, is it against protocol ?

As you will see, you will get responses from all of the forums on a generic question like this. You would also get similar responses on the MOBO forum. Not a good idea to post on more than one as the responses can be confusing.

nauticalnomad

Visit site
I transfer money often as I don't get paid in GBP, I usually try all the transfer companies and then go back to my bank and tell them transferwise is offering X amount and the bank betters it or matches it. That way its just a bank transfer.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
We have used - and been happy with - Currency Fair, for some years https://www.currencyfair.com/
Their exchange rate this morning is 1 GBP = 1.4177 EUR, and the fee is minute (last exchange we made cost 3€.
If you fancy your chances as an exchange rate guru, you can also 'buy' €s at the best exchange rate and hold them in your account until transfer time, or deposit your £s and ask for them to be exchanged only when the rate reaches your chosen figure.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Currency transfer is a highly competitive business, and there must be 20 to 40 reasonable scale currency dealers in business. Nearly all people who have used a dealer will praise his dealer's service. That's a reflection of competition - they're all so much better than banks for speed of service, flexibility and rates. The rates comparison can be seen if you look at:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/current-accounts/international-money-transfer/personal-transfers/?goal=IMT_PERSONALTRANSFERSMEDIUM

Note the exchange rate difference quoted between banks and currency dealers.

Moneysupermarket and other comparison sites have limitations too . . . you have to ask who pays for exposure on the site . . . and who doesn't.

RAI

Visit site
Another vote for CurrencyFair. Their instant rate may not be quite the best but their fees are only 3 euro / squid. They also offer a mini market place, which I use to get the best rates given a little patience. Then transfer directly into the vendor's account.
After setting up, transfers normally take one day, own account to destination account.