Buying in the Netherlands some urgent advice needed please

Boatymacboat

Visit site
Buying a boat in the netherlands some urgent advice needed please
i am resident in rep of ireland and want to base the boat in a marina in the netherlands and use during the season
boat is to be based and kept in the Netherlands
my first question is , the boat is coming by way of a private sale year or construction is 1986
28 foot sailing yacht
would vat be payable ?

my second question is being resident in rep of ireland will it be hard to get insurance ?
the boat is to be used on lakes and not sea going

any help would be fantastic
many thanks in advance

michael_w

Visit site
Be very wary of the standard HISWA (Dutch yacht surveyor's association) sales contract, You must buy the boat unless the cost of repairs exceed 10% of the purchase price. No pulling out if you get cold feet, you will lose your deposit. Also the standard Dutch survey is a mere tick box exercise.

Send me a PM and I can let you have a PDF of the english translation of the contract.

Fossil

Visit site
+1 for the replies on insurance. It was a while ago now, but my wife (New Zealand citizen) and I (British citizen), both of us resident in Brussels, Belgium bought and owned a yacht which we kept in a marina at Wemeldinge, Netherlands. Pantaneius insured us, no problems and for several years we sailed the boat up and down the Netherlands, through to the North German coast and as far as Denmark and the Baltic as well as several ventures the other way and cross-channel to Dover and the East Coast. As an EU citizen living in an EU Member State, there are no formalities to contend with as regards boat ownership or this sort of voyaging. Frankly, why the UK gave up the huge practical advantages of the Single Market for abstract notions of sovereignty defeats and saddens me, but this isn't the place to discuss that. Whatever, you still have all the advantages of belonging in the EU, so use and enjoy them! The Dutch people are great, friendly and boat-minded, there is superb sailing, delightful mediaeval towns and villages to moor up in, and Good Times to be had. Best wishes!

Tranona

Visit site
Unfortunately since then the marine insurance market has changed dramatically - and not just as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU. Poor returns on underwriting, increased regulation, particularly in the EU has reduced underwriting capacity and the number of providers has shrunk and those that are left are much more selective. So what was up until around 2016 a very open market is now much more restricted, hence the problems the OP is experiencing.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
You have omitted one important piece of information, are you a UK citizen or an EU citizen? This will make a huge difference to the information that will apply to you.

Citizenship is largely irrelevant. What matters is residency.
As an EU resident the OP will have few problems as the boat is presumably EU VAT paid, although having evidence of this on a boat of that age is another matter.
Getting insurance locally (in NL) should not be an issue.

westhinder

Visit site
Also the standard Dutch survey is a mere tick box exercise.
Your experience is different from mine. The Dutch surveyor who did the survey on my boat did a very thorough job, which was very informative, I learned a lot about the boat as we went along. I can thoroughly recommend Olav Cox, not only a knowledgeable surveyor, but also a yachtsman who has circumnavigated and author of a pilot book for Zeeland.

oldgit

Visit site
+1 for the replies on insurance. It was a while ago now, but my wife (New Zealand citizen) and I (British citizen), both of us resident in Brussels, Belgium bought and owned a yacht which we kept in a marina at Wemeldinge, Netherlands. Pantaneius insured us, no problems and for several years we sailed the boat up and down the Netherlands, through to the North German coast and as far as Denmark and the Baltic as well as several ventures the other way and cross-channel to Dover and the East Coast. As an EU citizen living in an EU Member State, there are no formalities to contend with as regards boat ownership or this sort of voyaging. Frankly, why the UK gave up the huge practical advantages of the Single Market for abstract notions of sovereignty defeats and saddens me, but this isn't the place to discuss that. Whatever, you still have all the advantages of belonging in the EU, so use and enjoy them! The Dutch people are great, friendly and boat-minded, there is superb sailing, delightful mediaeval towns and villages to moor up in, and Good Times to be had. Best wishes!

Taking back control has cost a private individual wishing to purchase an IVA paid boat or other big ticket item from EU to UK an additional 20% on top of the purchase price .
In my case this would amount to around £20.000. pounds.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Be very wary of the standard HISWA (Dutch yacht surveyor's association) sales contract, You must buy the boat unless the cost of repairs exceed 10% of the purchase price. No pulling out if you get cold feet, you will lose your deposit. Also the standard Dutch survey is a mere tick box exercise.

I bought two boats in Holland using the HISWA contract.
I didn't find it something to be wary of, quite on the contrary.
It offers protection to both seller and buyer.
It commits the buyer to selling to you at the agreed price even though he might have received a better offer later on.
And the seller has a committed buyer, not someone just stringing him along.

As for Dutch surveys: your experience differs from mine.
Used a Dutch surveyor twice, and he was well worth the money.
And in the Dutch buying process, the surveyor is on YOUR side, so he won't produce some wishy-washy, middle of the road kind of report, but you get warts and all.

Concerto

Visit site
Citizenship is largely irrelevant. What matters is residency.
As an EU resident the OP will have few problems as the boat is presumably EU VAT paid, although having evidence of this on a boat of that age is another matter.
Getting insurance locally (in NL) should not be an issue.
You missed the point, in the first post Boatymacboat could easily have been a UK citizen living in the Republic of Ireland and wanting to have a boat in Holland. There could have been a potential VAT problem of 20% if he sailed from Holland to the UK, even if just for a holiday. That is purely because he would not have been the owner before the UK left the EU and the Return of Goods would not have applied.

What really is the problem is that the UK does not recognise that any boat in the EU before Brexit would have been VAT paid and be able to be brought intto the UK. Now buying within the EU and bringing any boat back into the UK is a VAT chargeable event. In virtually everyones eyes this is double taxation and totally unfair.