buying from the states and import duty

pcatterall

Visit site
Was looking at a Spot 2 tracker from the states at £45, even if I was charged import duty I guess that this would be levied on the cost of item only so shouldn't be too much?
The offer includes a rebate against the annual support fee. so seemed a good deal??

maxi77

Visit site
I's all a matter of luck some carriers are more vigilant at reporting to customs than others and also some charge a serious handling fee for extracting duty from you. I think also duty is due on the value of the item and carriage. It is worth checking who your supplier uses for shipping and what their policy on duty and surcharges is.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Was looking at a Spot 2 tracker from the states at £45, even if I was charged import duty I guess that this would be levied on the cost of item only so shouldn't be too much?
The offer includes a rebate against the annual support fee. so seemed a good deal??

If you know anyone travelling from America, it might be worth noting that £45 is waaaaay below the duty-free limit on coughcoughgiftscoughcough.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Import duty will be charged on the cost of the item. VAT will be charged on the import duty, the cost of the item and the cost of the shipping. Depending on the carrier, there is also a processing fee. About 40-60 GPB is common for the processing fee. Then you will pay VAT on the processing fee.

I would strongly suggest that you buy such low value items in the EU (e.g. via Amazon).

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
As others have said, the postage is the killer. The cheapest way to ship from US is to use USPS International - standard medium boxes with a maximum weight of 20lbs are $60.00. However, many stores will only use a courier, Fedex or UPS, and then the cost is considerably higher. Handling fee in UK is £8 and then you add VAT to the whole lot.

Typically, if you add 45% to the cost of the US item and it still looks a good deal it might be worth a closer look. Otherwise it probably isn't.

Sailfree

Visit site
It often depends on the shipping agent used.

The big ones collect the money for HMRC.

Cost of item , + USA tax, + packaging, + shipping charge= total US charge. In UK + handling charge (shipping agent collects on behalf of HMRC), +customs duty + VAT.

Friend got a Bose system sent from USA marked as present for some £750. He did the same for me but different shipping agent my final bill was some £1200. Never Again.

If you can fit it in your luggage great. Stieners Commander Bins £=$. Bose i pod player same. Of course you declare these items on UK arrival

Spi D

Visit site
Agreed - and take special care if buying anything that connects to phone systems, domestic power etc. as standards vary.

Strathglass

Visit site
I have just received a nexus 10 tablet from Hong Kong. It was delivered by DHL and the duty/extra charges were £52. I got a phone call the day after it was dispatched with details on payment methods. I paid it on line and the total delivery time was less than a week.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have just received a nexus 10 tablet from Hong Kong. It was delivered by FedEx and the duty/extra charges were £52. I got a phone call the day after it was dispatched with details on payment methods. I paid it on line and the total delivery time was less than a week.

I see they are £339/£389 direct from Google or £270/£280 from Amazon - how much did you save by buying from Hong Kong?

Strathglass

Visit site
I see they are £339/£389 direct from Google or £270/£280 from Amazon - how much did you save by buying from Hong Kong?

At the end of the day I ended with it costing me about the same as the Amazon costs. I was perhaps a bit unfortunate this time as sometimes bits come from China/Hong Kong without any added duty. It depends a lot on which carrier is used. You win some, you loose some.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
At the end of the day I ended with it costing me about the same as the Amazon costs. I was perhaps a bit unfortunate this time as sometimes bits come from China/Hong Kong without any added duty. It depends a lot on which carrier is used. You win some, you loose some.

Thanks, and hard luck.