Buying an EPIRB in France for a non French vessel

Mrnotming

Visit site
I want to equip the boat with an EPIRB this year.
This thread explains a lot:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?421786-Epirb-mmsi/page3&highlight=buying+epirb+france

However I am wondering if the fact that the unit I propose to buy hs a GPS embeddded, does it make a difference if just the 15 digit HEX code is registered, and not the MMSI.
After all, I sail in French waters mostly, and an alert to the Irish Authorities (Comreg.ie)(coastguard.ie) might delay the launch of SAR.
Anybody more up to speed care to comment?

Mrnotming

Visit site
I sent an email to the French registration agency, and surprisingly, it being Saturday, I got a reply!
Quote:
Good afternoon,

EPIRB are in France, coded with the MMSI of the ship.
If you have an Irish MMSI, you have to code your beacon with an Irish coding.
Please, contact Irish authorities for more details :
https://www.cospas-sarsat.int/fr/contacts-pro/contacts-details-all

406 MHz Beacon Registers (available 24/7 for SAR Services)

Irish Coastguard Dublin Ireland ELTs EPIRBs PLBs SSASs Leeson Line Dublin 2 Ireland 2013-01-08

The information may not suit me if the unit I purchase has to have all the code re-programmed!Such complexity!

•Telephone 1: (353.1) 6620922
•Telephone 2: (353.1) 6620923
•Telephone 3: (353.1) 6783454
•email: mrccdublin@irishcoastguard.ie
•aftn: EIDWIMES
•longitude: -6.2600825
•latitude: 53.3494426
•last revision: 2013-01-08
•in ibrd: no
•ibrd pr: no

Best regards,
Gestionnaire RFBD (Registre Français des Balises de Détresse) - fmcc@cnes.fr

ffiill

Visit site
I was considing buying a PLB in Australia.
Whilst the unique identifying code programmed in by manufacturer is internationally recognised each country also has its own country code usually preprogrammed-same for epirbs.
As such I could not register it in the UK without recoding which can be expensive as you cannot do it yourself.
However there is nothing to stop you registering an Australian one with the Australian equivalent of the MCA giving your UK address as a pont of contact.
I understand the call out will go to the Australian SAR in the first instance but it could be from an Australian boat sailing off the west coast of Scotland or my Scottish registered boat in the same place.
Either way someone will come looking.
Similarly as noted on my Yachting Monthly thread last week if you are unregistered or the MCA hasnt processed your registration SAR will still be alerted and come looking.

Mrnotming

Visit site
I was considing buying a PLB in Australia.
Whilst the unique identifying code programmed in by manufacturer is internationally recognised each country also has its own country code usually preprogrammed-same for epirbs.
As such I could not register it in the UK without recoding which can be expensive as you cannot do it yourself.
However there is nothing to stop you registering an Australian one with the Australian equivalent of the MCA giving your UK address as a pont of contact.
I understand the call out will go to the Australian SAR in the first instance but it could be from an Australian boat sailing off the west coast of Scotland or my Scottish registered boat in the same place
Either way someone will come looking.

Similarly as noted on my Yachting Monthly thread last week if you are unregistered or the MCA hasnt processed your registration SAR will still be alerted and come looking.

Thanks ffiill,
after a bout of googling,I found the information about non replaceable by user batteries in a Fastfind220 PLB.
They are hermetically sealed Lithium Manganese-Dioxide.
I have asked special assistance at my Airline to say if this device may be carried, as it gets over the coding problem.
So as it is a long weekend over here in Ireland, I hope to have a reply early next week unless the hazardous lady does a bit of overtime!
I'll see how this PLB business goes first of all, before trying to get an EPIRB on the next flight later in the year.I'll have a look at your Yachting Monthly thread soonest.
Best regards,
Paul

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There was a discussion on this a little while ago.

My understanding is that it is only the first 3 numbers of your MMSI number that is programmed into the EPIRB and this allows the sat system to send the message to the programmed country. The programmed country should/must have a computer data base with the unique hex number of the EPIRB and DB will have all the other details (contact details, vessel type, etc). The fact that you are registered with Irish Authorities mees that to be correct you should have the EPIRB programmed with the Irish country and register with the Irish Authorities, but there is reason you could not buy in France and keep the French country code and register in France.

My first EPIRB was registered in the UK as it had a UK country code already, but had it changed and registered it in South Africa at its first service.

It is a legal requirement fro me in South Africa to have my EPIRB registered in South Africa as my boat is registered in South Africa but I know UK is different don't know in the Irish situation.

Mrnotming

Visit site
There was a discussion on this a little while ago.

My understanding is that it is only the first 3 numbers of your MMSI number that is programmed into the EPIRB and this allows the sat system to send the message to the programmed country. The programmed country should/must have a computer data base with the unique hex number of the EPIRB and DB will have all the other details (contact details, vessel type, etc). The fact that you are registered with Irish Authorities mees that to be correct you should have the EPIRB programmed with the Irish country and register with the Irish Authorities, but there is reason you could not buy in France and keep the French country code and register in France.

My first EPIRB was registered in the UK as it had a UK country code already, but had it changed and registered it in South Africa at its first service.

It is a legal requirement fro me in South Africa to have my EPIRB registered in South Africa as my boat is registered in South Africa but I know UK is different don't know in the Irish situation.

Thanks for that Rogershaw, I expect there are very good reasons for all these requirements,hopefully the situation will best be managed by buying in Ireland, then either being allowed to bring it on an aircraft, or else I can arrange to have it mailed to my French boatyard.Presumably, it had to reach the retailer in Ireland in its packaged state!

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for that Rogershaw, I expect there are very good reasons for all these requirements,hopefully the situation will best be managed by buying in Ireland, then either being allowed to bring it on an aircraft, or else I can arrange to have it mailed to my French boatyard.Presumably, it had to reach the retailer in Ireland in its packaged state!

There is no problem taking it on aircraft as hand luggage or in the hold. Many delivery skippers for example regularly carry both EPIRBs and PLBs on aircraft when flying out to pick up boats.

Expect you will also find cheaper to buy in Ireland than in France.

rogerthebodger

Visit site

I took my existing EPIRB with me when I flew from South Africa to the UK for servicing and reprogramming and back to South Africa with my new EPIRB that I purchased in the UK when I flew back to South Africa.

No problem flying with EPIRB's

Mrnotming

Visit site
Thanks all, still waiting for a confirmation in the affirmative for Aer Lingus.Bank Hol here today, but not flying till 14th next so hopefully will have all sorted by then!

Bilgediver

Visit site
As I understand the lithium battery rules, provided the battery is fitted into the equipment and the equipment is carried as hand baggage the there is no problem with carriage. Remember most phones, computers etc etc are fitted with lithium batteries and there is little fuss about carrying them.

Yep...... and some jobsworths at security ask you to switch them on to conform they are what they say on the box. Might not get much info from a PLB that is switched on till Rescue 131 lands outside :)

Mrnotming

Visit site
Yep...... and some jobsworths at security ask you to switch them on to conform they are what they say on the box. Might not get much info from a PLB that is switched on till Rescue 131 lands outside :)
Nice one Bilgediver! a telescopic walking stick got me into hot water even though the pair were strongly bubble wrapped (Lidl probably) Was let on, but only just,with these pointy ended things!

Last edited:

Monique

Visit site
I went through the reverse problem . I purchased an EPIRB and 2 PLB at the Southampton boat show last autumn. The boat is French registered and has a UK serial numbers for both systems. The ANFR (froggie version of OFCOM) said to contact a McMurdo dealer for recoding. Apparently, any dealer will reset to your requirement.

Hope this helps