Buying advice for Moodys (28, 30, 31)

MattS

Visit site
Hey - I'm looking at a few Moodys to purchase (currently a 28 and a 31), and would be very grateful of any quick tips, known issues to look for, or just general takes on these models. Thank you

Jim@sea

Visit site
I bought a brand new Moody 30 when they first came out.
One of the best boats I have ever owned (out of 10)
That 25hp Volvo Saildrive was a dream.
Wish I had it now.

jwilson

Visit site
Particularly on Moody 31s but seen on some other models too look for deck moulding distortion/cracks around the babystay mounting point next to the forehatch. Difficult to truly fix without substantial work: most owners live with it. Also leaks from this forward hatch. As with many boats, look for deck distortion near the main chainplates. I quite like these Moodys, though some seem to have dark staining in the interior veneered panels in places.

Kelpie

Visit site
Definitely join the MOA as a guest, you can then browse the technical and forum archives and ask questions.
We really like our Moody, it's a straightforward and simply constructed boat. About the only thing I would change about it is that I wish it had forward lowers rather than a babystay.

Pete7

Visit site
We have owned our M31 for 14 years. The stuff that has been replaced has been items that you would expect on any yacht like sails, batteries, loo pipes, electronics, oh and the curtains, SWMBO insisted on :rolleyes: However, the design by Bill Dixon is really quite a clever layout and must have been an attraction when first introduced. Build quality also very good making them very popular and they look after the crew if caught out in a blow.

The yacht has met all our needs perfectly and we recently agreed we should keep her long term.

JW has mentioned the babystay, which is a through deck tab welded to a stainless steel bar glassed to the underside of the deck. It seems to affect the M34 more than the 31. Replacement means taking down the headlining and fitting a more beefy support for the tab. Ours is fine but its not the end of the world even if it needs doing. The other issue is the Volvo gearbox spine issue which affect early Volvo Penta 2003 engines, best to google it. Many have now been converted. It's a gearbox out job, but again not the end. We did ours a decade ago and no problems since.

Bilge keeled yachts seem to be in high demand at the moment though a M28 has recently come on the market in Fareham. Details on the Moody Owners Association website under "info forums". There is also a forum for potential owners to ask questions which will be worth reading back through.

Moody Owners Association | For owners of Moodys and Hanse built Moodys

MattS

Visit site
Thank you everyone - appreciate your insights and welcome any more!

Does anyone have any views on risk of a Moody without preventative osmosis treatment? I've read and heard that Moody's tend to be fairly resistant to osmosis, but a couple I've looked at have had evidence of blistering in previous surveys.

Also interested in any views re: the 28 vs the 31 - I understand they share a layout, and part of me wonders why you might choose the 28 over the 31 (if you don't include wanting the shorter length).

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I have a Moody 33 mk2 on which I had to do the babystay issue - not a difficult job but may be easier on other models. As said join the MOA as a guest and you'll get lots of info and advice.

Quandary

Visit site
Ours is an S31, things I like,
Moulded GRP head linings throughout, no droop and easy cleaned, durable wear resistant interior. Lewmar openable portlights, plenty of ventilation. Comfortable tiller steering with great manouvreability, really easy to berth in tight spaces, turning circle with engine on not much more than a boat length. Saildrive on fresh water cooled VP2020, transformed by a three blade folder. Enormous aft cabin bunk, good frig. Well laid out anchor locker with room for windlass below deck. Comfortable cockpit. All the seacocks (3) at one location. Fold downstep at back of cockpit makes getting in (and out of) the dinghy really easy.
Downsides,
engine access involves a lot of hassle to move steps, oil filter and fresh water drain are hard to reach. Rudder shaft is completely enclosed in GRP ruling out a below deck autopilot. Iron keel, but with bulb, adequate draught and no rust yet. Calorifier pressure release valve discharges to bilge. Rig is a bit old fashioned, double spreaders but still has forward and aft lowers , oversupported so obstructs access forward. High freeboard needs a step for getting aboard comfortably. Stowage is adequate but all over the boat. Only one battery as standard (we now have 3) Galley sink waste is pumped across the boat to save a skin fitting. Good cockpit locker but only one, gas locker is moulded for 2 Camping gas bottles and can not take Calor at half the price. No self tailers on the halyard winches. No slots in the alloy toerails. Spinnaker pole has to be stowed on deck. No centre mooring cleats. 'Modern' multicolored cushion covers but well made and very durable, got used to them now.
Despite all that she sails well and carries her sail well in fresh winds, beats and reaches a lot better than she runs, I am still pleased that we own her.

ithet

Visit site
I had a M28 twin keel, which served us well for eight seasons. Fantastic design for a 28 (actually 27.5). But I would say go for a M31 mk2 unless you want the smaller boat. The extra length is mainly extra storage which is sorely needed. If we had got the M31 we would probably have kept it longer. BTW production of the M28 was stopped after 2 years/69 hulls as they cost nearly as much to make as the 31. And that is a similar issue with second hand models, as most of these require some updating now but new windows, engine, rigging etc is not hugely different between the models.

Possible issues (common to 28 & 32) are corrosion at base of steel compression post, hairline cracks around twin keels, state of VP 2000 series engine, condition of woodwork, window crazing. Surveyors seem to demand keel bolt inspection as they will see some corrosion on the mild steel.

The M30 is an older series design.

Join the MOA.

ithet

Visit site
Re osmosis, I don't think this is a particular problem with the 28/31 although I came across it on an older M27. My M28 had been Gellshielded at some time though.

tyce

Visit site
M31 is a good solid boat, I eventually got fed up with hanging onto the tiller which pulled hard when the wind piped up enough to get it properly going. Easy to manoeuvre and still look good though.

robmcg

Visit site
Another vote for the M31. My dad has one and it is a pretty viceless boat. Lots of internal space, well behaved in all conditions and well laid out accommodation for a 31 footer.

MattS

Visit site
Thank you - interesting to hear your thoughts on 28 vs 31.

I think I’ve put the 30 aside for the moment, as I’d rather go for something mid-80s or younger.

I viewed a lovely 28 - engine, windows, rigging all been replaced in last 12-15 years. But being 6ft4 the only hesitation for me is around general comfort, especially within the berths and standing headroom.

It also seems like the pricing for 28 vs 31 can be very similar for vessels of similar age / condition which on paper makes the 31 look a better buy.

For those who have had experience of 28 and 31Mk2, is there a noticeable difference in space in berths (in addition to the addition storage)?

Does the aft berth under the cockpit floor have a bit more height to it for instance? Also length of berth in forecabin?

The last thing I want to do is spend ages seeking that perfect 31Mk2 to find I’ve not gained much in the places that matter (if you know what I mean).

Advantage of the slightly smaller boat is of course slightly reduced running costs!

MattS

Visit site
I had a M28 twin keel, which served us well for eight seasons. Fantastic design for a 28 (actually 27.5). But I would say go for a M31 mk2 unless you want the smaller boat. The extra length is mainly extra storage which is sorely needed. If we had got the M31 we would probably have kept it longer. BTW production of the M28 was stopped after 2 years/69 hulls as they cost nearly as much to make as the 31. And that is a similar issue with second hand models, as most of these require some updating now but new windows, engine, rigging etc is not hugely different between the models.

Possible issues (common to 28 & 32) are corrosion at base of steel compression post, hairline cracks around twin keels, state of VP 2000 series engine, condition of woodwork, window crazing. Surveyors seem to demand keel bolt inspection as they will see some corrosion on the mild steel.

The M30 is an older series design.

Join the MOA.

And I’ve signed up to the MOA as a guest :)

davidej

Visit site
I had a M31 for many years - loved it. Nothing serious ever went wrong. The VP 2002 was faultless.

If you intend to come and go via a tender or rubby dubby, then a Mk2 with the sugar scoop stern is worth paying extra for.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I have just sold my M31 after 14 Years. The baby stay anchorage had been stiffened and the gearbox splines done some years ago.
I had a response in one day and sold it and had several people after it. I sailed it in from the East Coast and had several trips across the North Sea without any problems. Best boat out of 4 I have had. Wish I hadn't sold it now.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
i wonder how many sales moody lost due to their choice of fabric? When I was boat shopping I factored in reapolsetry to all the moodys I considered and that took them off the list.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Another 31 Mk2 (fin keel) owner here. 15 years and very happy to keep it. No major issues. They were fitted with the VP 2003 (not the 2002). Mine is original and starts well. Just right for single handed sailing or with crew. The longest berths are either the starboard settee using the trotter box or the aft cabin.

I never heard of a 31 with osmosis or a babystay issue. Tyce refers to a lot of weather helm but that's not my experience, except when deliberately leaving too much sail up in a blow. Bringing the reefing lines back to the cockpit is worth doing. Well built and with excellent advice through the MOA.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Both Angus Primrose and Bill Dixon produced great Moody yacht designs. The 31 MK l and MK ll are very roomy, capable, surprisingly fast and popular yachts. The Moody Owners Association is very helpful. I have a Moody 33S which is great for the family and very solid sailing yacht.