Buying a boat (lake Windermere)

TheNovice

Visit site
Just to add I do have a dinghy with a Seagull outboard to get from and to the boat. I have no problem getting things down to the boat as my step dad has a van and would not mind getting large amount of things or heavy things down there for me from time to time. I have cousins and other family who would drive me down also but we will be taking the train whenever It's just me and my other. Toby that sounds awesome, I've added you and David to contacts/friends on here.

Thanks everyone for your advice

catlotion

Visit site
You are looking at a Dinghy in the rack at Ferry Nab and arriving with oars and what you can wheel/carry a Taxi from the station is about the only reasonably practical option but hey you don't have a car so can "Push the Boat out on that". There may be a bus from the station which goes to Newby Bridge/Barrow via the end of the road which leads to the chain ferry ir to the chain ferry (Mountain Goat bus service?)

Good points David. and you'll save a fair bit in parking too so can justify a taxi. I'm sure you can hide the oars in the dinghy (that's what we do). You might be lucky and get a mooring close in and then you wouldn't need an outboard necessarily. I agree - you can pretty much always find a spot at Ferry Nab and Bowness Bay on the public jetties. You'll be coming in regularly anyway to fill water and pump out, etc...

Visit site
Hi Jay
Welcome to Windermere (in advance) just my opinion We were new to the lake and totally new to sailing , never owned a sailing boat or even been on one
We just loved the look of them sailing down the lake so like you we wanted to try it we looked at all the options and what worked for us was look at lots of boat types, view them all , buy the one that you like and serves your needs PAY FOR A VERY GOOD SURVEY ( one very good surveyor lives close buy ) we never had one lesson, plonked the boat on the lake on a swinging mooring out of the way plenty room to practice and only used the engine for the first full season , spent that time getting used to the boat ,lake and moorings it will not cost you alot of money even if you pay someone to come out with you but do it on your boat .I can park my car easy (dont ask me to park the bosses) most boats will react so much differently, types of rudder , types of keel, so so many little things can change the boats reaction to your wishes , Oh do i know that
spend time reading and on internet get used to what is on your boat and how to use it .You will find the others on the lake very helpfull and love sitting around just chatting about boats and more than willing to have their ears bent for advise.
And buy the time you are ready to try that sailing stuff you know your boat you know the lake and half the people on it
As a family it worked for us and gave us the bug big time .
Costs you will get a seriously nice ,reliable ,modern 28 to 30ft £20,000 easily , yearly costs i would budget for £1800 (depending how good a malt you drink)
It probably goes against what others will tell you but it worked for us ,,,,,,,,,,,, A very good survey is a must could save you thousands Honestly thousands ,,,,,,,,
Have a cup of tea at ferry nab if you see a boat that you are thinking about parked up there speak to the owners on it explain that you are thinking of buying one similar and you will find them to be very helpfull and we are all proud to show off our boats

pete

Visit site
One more thing to budget for, I was in Bowness today It was manic with all the traffic and with the fair. The price to use the public toilets was 40p !!! :mad: Surprisingly the need to go lessened somewhat (it's the principle honest) robbing git's. Lots of nice boats though.

sealegsjim

Visit site
[QUOTE=j.
Costs you will get a seriously nice ,reliable ,modern 28 to 30ft £20,000 easily , yearly costs i would budget for £1800 (depending how good a malt you drink)

I think if you double that cost of the boat you will be nearer the mark. I have a 27ft boat and pay over £3000 pa

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
One more thing to budget for, I was in Bowness today It was manic with all the traffic and with the fair. The price to use the public toilets was 40p !!! :mad: Surprisingly the need to go lessened somewhat (it's the principle honest) robbing git's. Lots of nice boats though.

For some reason that is more expensive than elsewhere. Free at Ambleside & Ferry House, 20P Ferry Nab.

I would rather that than they were closed totally, that would be extremely stupid in an area that is so heavily reliant on tourists for its income.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Why sail on the motorway that is Windermere, when you can enjoy the country lanes of Ullswater.
Or stay in ...... best not go down that road!

As has been mentioned more than once. There aren't actually that many boats out on Windermere. I've sailed once or twice a week for about 9 years and there have been some days when I have been to only one out. Other times there has been a nice confusion of boats, but I have never seen it absolutely teeming so that you spend all day avoiding others.

tokoloshe

Visit site
As has been mentioned more than once. There aren't actually that many boats out on Windermere. I've sailed once or twice a week for about 9 years and there have been some days when I have been to only one out. Other times there has been a nice confusion of boats, but I have never seen it absolutely teeming so that you spend all day avoiding others.

Yada Yada!

tokoloshe

Visit site
??

Do you sail on Windermere regularly?

I've sailed on Windermere over the past 40 years, from windsurfers, to dinghies and
cruisers. I will admit to spending a splendid weekend on a fifty foot Princess out of Ambleside.

Finland sounds very attractive but my old 5o5 helm skippers his yacht Morgan's Cloud in
the high latitudes ref. http://www.morganscloud.com/ but you need more than a weekend
for that.

If we all wanted to sail in the same place, even Windermere, it would be very crowded.

How about somewhere like loch Freuchie in Perthshire. A gem!

Enjoy your sailing.

p.s. I don't go past Bowness for sailmaking.

Pompous moi?

Last edited:
Visit site
j. Costs you will get a seriously nice said:
Well life is all about opinions
We have 31ft paid less than 20k we go to her every week yearly we spend swinging mooring fees plus £400 a year (not season) parking for three cars , storage for our tender,the kids kayaks,ect ,£100 diesel max, 84p a litre toilets ,showers in with mooring fees, she stays in over winter ,every second year we take her out on the trailer at ferry nab (in with your fees) and we scrub and antifoul , any other costs are food ect all of which we would pay at home anyway .
Our kids have a ball and so do our friends when they stay over , your first year you will probably spend far to much on bits you dont need,going places you dont like,eating food you regret,ect ect
by the time you settle in and you find your way around and you end up with a garage full of all these bits that you really need and have never used ( i have )
We have found that the boat that fits you and the right mooring for your needs that is the money side of things , we spend far more on our car per year than we do on the boat yes something can sneak up and bite you now and again ( i just spent £1600 on a new gearbox for my van for work ) no our costs are no where near the £3000 pa quoted and we still eat out alot and bbq alot as we do at home,again thats us others may have serious money in a marina berth in the village our friend is £6500 for 41ft pa but its what they like , its each to there own. me Im boring ,Glass of wine and all those views, me happy

tokoloshe

Visit site
Well life is all about opinions
We have 31ft paid less than 20k we go to her every week yearly we spend swinging mooring fees plus £400 a year (not season) parking for three cars , storage for our tender,the kids kayaks,ect ,£100 diesel max, 84p a litre toilets ,showers in with mooring fees, she stays in over winter ,every second year we take her out on the trailer at ferry nab (in with your fees) and we scrub and antifoul , any other costs are food ect all of which we would pay at home anyway .
Our kids have a ball and so do our friends when they stay over , your first year you will probably spend far to much on bits you dont need,going places you dont like,eating food you regret,ect ect
by the time you settle in and you find your way around and you end up with a garage full of all these bits that you really need and have never used ( i have )
We have found that the boat that fits you and the right mooring for your needs that is the money side of things , we spend far more on our car per year than we do on the boat yes something can sneak up and bite you now and again ( i just spent £1600 on a new gearbox for my van for work ) no our costs are no where near the £3000 pa quoted and we still eat out alot and bbq alot as we do at home,again thats us others may have serious money in a marina berth in the village our friend is £6500 for 41ft pa but its what they like , its each to there own. me Im boring ,Glass of wine and all those views, me happy

Spot on!

Habebty

Visit site
Not wishing to be controversial, but just curious, why would anyone keep a 50' Princess or any large yacht for that matter, on a lake?
Nice for two weeks a year perhaps?
I would add that I don't have any experience of lake sailing or "Lakesailoring" for that matter. :)

TheNovice

Visit site
Hey, an update to anyone who followed the thread. I purchased a Hunter 310, fits our needs for lake sailing, shes called SeaSaw and we got her from Maiden.
I guess you will see us in March or so, come say hi. :)

Any questions?
Jay

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
You bought Dave's boat, I knew it was for sale but didn't know how seriously.

You should get some good use out of it especially with that mahoosive cockpit enclosure and the eberspacher.

See you about sometime, look out for Carousel.